Can i take my tarot deck to Dubai ?

tahvoon

Hi. Im planning to go holiday trip in dubai and whant to take my thoth deck in handluggage .
I try to find some info from dubai custom can i bring my deck but i didnt find any rules about that.

I know that here is some people from dubai also so i hope you can help me do i get some problem if custom find my deck ?

Zephyros

I'm not really sure, but the Emirates are quite progressive and welcoming toward Westerners. I would test the waters before taking them out in public, but I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to take a deck with you.

seedcake

Hi. Im planning to go holiday trip in dubai and whant to take my thoth deck in handluggage .
I try to find some info from dubai custom can i bring my deck but i didnt find any rules about that.

I know that here is some people from dubai also so i hope you can help me do i get some problem if custom find my deck ?

They shouldn't be too strict since you're European. But they can find a problem anyway if you would read for someone from Emirates. Dubai have sharia law and in their interpretation, Tarot (or any other divination system) is used for fortune telling which is forbidden in Islam (which again, is only their interpretation). I'd have bigger issue since I'm a Muslim so they would confiscate the cards in 100%.

Do a really good check 'cause even I get weird informations from there. Some were even surprising to my husband who is born and raised Sunni Muslim from Egypt.

PAMUYA

Would you really want to take that chance? fortune telling is forbidden in Islamic law. Besides there are programs that you can use to draw cards for readings. I perfer actual cards, but in a pinch I use my tablet.

seedcake

Or better. Don't take in the hand luggage.

danieljuk

I had a look and could find no proper advice about this. There is advice about things like some types of pain killers and cultural items though (not divination). I wouldn't personally take a physical deck into the country, but could you have an app on your phone /tablet? you could delete it if there was a problem there. But would be fine to use in a hotel room and not in the open.

Searching google there is many many tarot readers advertising in Dubai which is interesting! but I wouldn't take any risks personally. There is some Dubai residents on AT but not seen any post for a while. However someone local to there might post on this thread :thumbsup:

nisaba

Would you really want to take that chance? fortune telling is forbidden in Islamic law. Besides there are programs that you can use to draw cards for readings. I perfer actual cards, but in a pinch I use my tablet.

We have had members over the years living and working in Dubai as well as other Islamic places, who don't seem to have a problem.

Sar

As long as you don't take them out in public, you should be fine.

Mi-Shell

I have a wealthy client who went to the horse races in Dubai. She took several Tarot and oracle decks and had no problems with that.

Tarot803

Take them. I went to Dubai last winter and had no problems when I took mine in my hand luggage/carry on bag. I had mine in a small cardboard-like box which was not the original box the deck came in, but only because I like my decks to be kept in prettier boxes. I had absolutely no problems. I would say not to solicit people for readings though. I simply took mine to study and maintain our relationship since I was going to be traveling for a month.