reluctance to take the cards out?

MandMaud

Do you have times when you can't make yourself go near the cards, even when you (on another level) deeply want to? If so, have you worked out what triggers this, and/or what to do about it? Or maybe it doesn't worry you?

I was forced away from tarot three months ago by life landing on me quite hard, various situations that together took all my attention and energy for a few weeks. Since then I've been busy with the backlog and fallout from that, and only now can really sit back a bit. I mean to the point that I can catch up with a friend or spend an evening doing nothing, which literally I couldn't for weeks.

I've been longing to reconnect with my decks and to get back to AT and you lot :) and generally to give my spiritual side more nourishment than I've managed since July. I am getting back into real meditation rather than the hasty "half-hearted" quick fixes. But with tarot it's like an aversion. I can sit and look at a deck across the room, wanting to read, hating the thought of it.

Not really asking for remedies - this will pass - simply whether anyone else gets this too.

EmpressArwen

Do you have times when you can't make yourself go near the cards, even when you (on another level) deeply want to? If so, have you worked out what triggers this, and/or what to do about it? Or maybe it doesn't worry you?

I was forced away from tarot three months ago by life landing on me quite hard, various situations that together took all my attention and energy for a few weeks. Since then I've been busy with the backlog and fallout from that, and only now can really sit back a bit. I mean to the point that I can catch up with a friend or spend an evening doing nothing, which literally I couldn't for weeks.

I've been longing to reconnect with my decks and to get back to AT and you lot :) and generally to give my spiritual side more nourishment than I've managed since July. I am getting back into real meditation rather than the hasty "half-hearted" quick fixes. But with tarot it's like an aversion. I can sit and look at a deck across the room, wanting to read, hating the thought of it.

Not really asking for remedies - this will pass - simply whether anyone else gets this too.

lol YES. I've had an on/off, sometimes love/hate relationship with tarot for 20 years. I know sometimes the aversion is related to a too stressful situation, when my head is a mess and all I can see in the cards is mess...but other times I'm just not interested...don't know why. I usually just go with it. If I am, for some reason, really not wanting to read, I don't. I think it's just our way of telling ourselves to take a break, for whatever reason.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful but I do understand and have been there many times.

MandMaud

lol YES. I've had an on/off, sometimes love/hate relationship with tarot for 20 years. I know sometimes the aversion is related to a too stressful situation, when my head is a mess and all I can see in the cards is mess...but other times I'm just not interested...don't know why. I usually just go with it. If I am, for some reason, really not wanting to read, I don't. I think it's just our way of telling ourselves to take a break, for whatever reason.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful but I do understand and have been there many times.

Quite a relief. :) Here on the forum you never notice people who aren't actively doing tarot, as they wouldn't be here I suppose. :grin: I wonder how common it is? It's not a problem for me, as I don't read profssionally. At least it's a minor problm in that I miss it during the times I'm "off" it if you see what I mean... I think it's a kind of tiredness, a spiritual kind or just needing to do something else for a bit. I wonder how I'd get round it, though, if (perhaps when) I was committed to reading for others.

dancing_moon

Perhaps, not exactly what you're experiencing, but lots of people have reported having 'Tarot burnout', due to different reasons. Just search for 'burnout' in this section, and you'll see for yourself. :D

Personally, I experience this from time to time too, a very annoying and upsetting feeling, like I'm both attracted and repulsed from the cards. :( Plenty of rest, good food and walking in the nature usually repair this. :)

Cocobird55

You are getting your life back after a lot of stress. Just relax -- tarot interest will come back.

MandMaud

Perhaps, not exactly what you're experiencing, but lots of people have reported having 'Tarot burnout', due to different reasons. Just search for 'burnout' in this section, and you'll see for yourself. :D

Personally, I experience this from time to time too, a very annoying and upsetting feeling, like I'm both attracted and repulsed from the cards. :( Plenty of rest, good food and walking in the nature usually repair this. :)

I'll have a look for burnout :) though not sure this is quite that. Burnout for me generally includes an "ought" rather than a wishing-to (before i've identified it as burnout).

But yes, the "both attracted and repulsed" thing is it. Do you get this with other things too? I've had it with both creative stuff and some things that have nothing hanging on them at all, eg avoiding a novel when I've got really into it.

MandMaud

You are getting your life back after a lot of stress. Just relax -- tarot interest will come back.

This has reminded me why I miss being here! The supportiveness. Thank you.

I wonder if it is just that. It's not the first time I've had a phase like this - but then I've had a good many times of too-much-going-on and too-much-in-my-head, in the last few years. (Only took up tarot properly about 2.5 years ago.) ... I am rather sick of thinking 'NOW finally I can slow down and have a life' then another thing cropping up to put having-a-life on the back burner again ...

dancing_moon

But yes, the "both attracted and repulsed" thing is it. Do you get this with other things too?

Absolutely. :) And those are mostly my creative pursuits too!

danieljuk

nice to see you back on AT MandMaud :heart: :)

go easy on yourself, if you don't want to use tarot, have a break! People do have breaks from tarot all the time on here and breaks from the forum. I think you need to, because of burnout!

I've noticed that at times I don't want to know answers from the tarot or get a bit tired it all and have a break! Nothing wrong with it, we probably subconsciously do this in other areas of our lives!