Cards popped out of the deck, any idea on the meaning?

AkiraOkihu

Hello! I am a beginner in tarot, having only learned the 1-10 wands so far. Half an hour ago I got home and looked through the deck a little (it just feels like I want to hold it, it's a weird sensation :) ) and while I was looking through it, three cards popped on the floor (not sure if it's the right expression). The only card that was face up was Knight of Cups. It appeared that there is one more card, and I've picked it up: The Lovers. But along with it, the next card was Nine of Swords. The book I have tells me to pay attention when the cards pop out of the deck, because the deck might want to tell me something. But I am a beginner and I still don't know the meanings of these cards, and I am afraid not to interpret them badly if I take the book and look now at the meanings, without studying each card in depth. So, if a more experienced reader would like to help a beginner, what could those cards mean?

TL;DR: 3 cards popped out of the deck: Knight of Cups, The Lovers and Nine of Swords. Any idea on what this might mean?

EDIT: Here is the interpretation: Alright, so this is my interpretation: The Knight of Cups shows a romantic, idealistic man or some news arriving with much excitement. This could represent me, as I identify myself as an idealistic person, more of a dreamer. The Lovers could show that the cards are talking about a relationship (a new one, most probably, since I am in no relationship right now) and that I might need to make some choices regarding this relationship. The nine of swords could probably indicate that I am afraid of this relationship, of the idea of being in a relationship, and before I can be in one, I need to understand my fears.

As a whole, The Knight of Cups probably tells me that the reading is about me, The Lovers is probably telling me that the reading is about a romantic relationship and the nine of swords is probably warning me that before this new relationship can start I need to understand why I fear entering a relationship. I need to understand that it's not the relationship that creates the problem, it's the fear of being in a relationship (probably because I was never in a relationship, always searching for "the perfect love"). I most probably know what relationship the cards are referring to, as this new girl just appeared in my life about a month or so ago.

Alta

Moderator note:

Hello AkiraOkihu,

I have moved your thread from Talking Tarot (which is a discussion section) over to Your Readings for interpreting readings. I do realize that calling this a reading in the strictest sense is stretching a point, but you effectively got three cards and want help interpreting.

Here are the full posting rules for Your Readings:

Please read!

You do have a book, so look at your life, look at the book meanings and try out an interpretation yourself and post it here. Then other members will give their thoughts.

Regards,
Alta

dreamer89

Ok first the best way I learned to read tarot was taking the cards, and telling a story that I had been through using them. This helped me learn how they progress. Like for Wands I went through something that sparked creativity in my life, and put a card to each step in the way (sometimes going backwards first). This help me a lot first off, and since you are a beginner that will help you come up with your original interpretations on these things with a few of the rules from the book you are using.

The Knight of Cups is a funny one that I actually have my own question on him. This can be anything from a message of love, or someone that you see as an interest romantically. Since they just popped out of the deck I usually classify the question as; "What the Universe wants me to hear right now." These are usually good in my general idea, and I see this as meaning that the Universe wants you to know that it loves you, and that you should love yourself if you want to find love.

The Lovers being something the Universe wants to tell you can again be anything. This is in general about love, but can mean self love too. Taking the Male/Female sides of yourself together, and make them work as one. The only reason I say that is because usually when the cards "jump" out of the deck (which I know exactly what you mean that hey pop, or jump, or some how just come out) usually I need reassurance in something that I am doubting myself in. Which you cards mostly being Love cards makes me think that you are doubting you own self love.

Then we have the Nine of Swords. This card shows up for me when I am under a lot of stress about something. This usually tells me that something needs to give. This can sometimes come out when you think something should be better than it is. Usually this is a card that you can control, but you will often feel that others are causing it. You are the only one that has to wake up with yourself every day though. So if its something you can let go then I would.

I am taking this as the Universe telling you to turn the frown upside down, and start caring about yourself in a real loving way. Where you become your own best friend, and then can become closer with the Universal way of things.

Alta

Could I ask members to not reply until AkiraOkihu has added interpretations of their own. I have hidden one reply and will restore it to view after that is done.

We really discourage members posting only the cards. Clearly not everyone who does this is just after free readings, but we try and be consistent.

Alta

AkiraOkihu

Alright, so this is my interpretation: The Knight of Cups shows a romantic, idealistic man or some news arriving with much excitement. This could represent me, as I identify myself as an idealistic person, more of a dreamer. The Lovers could show that the cards are talking about a relationship (a new one, most probably, since I am in no relationship right now) and that I might need to make some choices regarding this relationship. The nine of swords could probably indicate that I am afraid of this relationship, of the idea of being in a relationship, and before I can be in one, I need to understand my fears.

As a whole, The Knight of Cups probably tells me that the reading is about me, The Lovers is probably telling me that the reading is about a romantic relationship and the nine of swords is probably warning me that before this new relationship can start I need to understand why I fear entering a relationship. I need to understand that it's not the relationship that creates the problem, it's the fear of being in a relationship (probably because I was never in a relationship, always searching for "the perfect love"). I most probably know what relationship the cards are referring to, as this new girl just appeared in my life about a month or so ago.

So, this is my interpretation, what do you think?

AkiraOkihu

I have updated my post with my interpretation. Please let me know what you think.

Alta

Sorry I missed your reply. I have restored to view the reply from dreamer89, post #2.

AkiraOkihu

Ok first the best way I learned to read tarot was taking the cards, and telling a story that I had been through using them. This helped me learn how they progress. Like for Wands I went through something that sparked creativity in my life, and put a card to each step in the way (sometimes going backwards first). This help me a lot first off, and since you are a beginner that will help you come up with your original interpretations on these things with a few of the rules from the book you are using.

The Knight of Cups is a funny one that I actually have my own question on him. This can be anything from a message of love, or someone that you see as an interest romantically. Since they just popped out of the deck I usually classify the question as; "What the Universe wants me to hear right now." These are usually good in my general idea, and I see this as meaning that the Universe wants you to know that it loves you, and that you should love yourself if you want to find love.

The Lovers being something the Universe wants to tell you can again be anything. This is in general about love, but can mean self love too. Taking the Male/Female sides of yourself together, and make them work as one. The only reason I say that is because usually when the cards "jump" out of the deck (which I know exactly what you mean that hey pop, or jump, or some how just come out) usually I need reassurance in something that I am doubting myself in. Which you cards mostly being Love cards makes me think that you are doubting you own self love.

Then we have the Nine of Swords. This card shows up for me when I am under a lot of stress about something. This usually tells me that something needs to give. This can sometimes come out when you think something should be better than it is. Usually this is a card that you can control, but you will often feel that others are causing it. You are the only one that has to wake up with yourself every day though. So if its something you can let go then I would.

I am taking this as the Universe telling you to turn the frown upside down, and start caring about yourself in a real loving way. Where you become your own best friend, and then can become closer with the Universal way of things.

Wow! I didn't think in this perspective... Very interesting indeed, especially because it was kind of on spot. In the past I've had lots of hardships and I never quite got along with my colleagues, up to the point where I've developed kind of a depression when I knew I had to see them. Now the circumstances have changed, but I was still doubting that they changed much (new colleagues). I thought that they were just the same as my old colleagues. So, I think this is pretty on spot, though things got better, so I'd say it's on spot for the past. Right now, I am mostly doubting myself about a possible future relationship, so it may be that the Universe is talking about this.

I will update as things unfold (though I am not really sure what I need to watch for, so more interpretations are always welcomed). Thanks!

dreamer89

To me this probably has to do with the relationship (because that was probably what was on your mind at the time), so I would say that this means that you need to be okay with yourself first. Your negative thoughts (9 of Swords) on yourself are self limiting you. That you need to learn how to really attach to yourself before ANY relationship will work. Often times when people do relationship readings more often than not they are hoping that they can find that "person" to fulfill them. Not always, I know happy couples that do readings to see where they can really make their love greater, but often times people do readings when they are emotionally unfulfilled with themselves. They think that a relationship will make them "better". This can't happen with someone, and must be done inside. If you can't see your worth it makes it harder for others to. I really think this is telling you that you are better than you think you are, and that you really need self love. If you love yourself then others can't help you love you.

AkiraOkihu

Thanks @dreamer89! I find your interpretation quite interesting, though I am unsure of how I could give you feedback... It's interesting because me and her are two different persons, with very different personalities from what I've seen so far. She is much of an extrovert and enjoys a good laugh while I am an introvert and I am afraid that she could see me as boring because I tend to be serious a lot. It could be that I need to accept myself as I am (very serious) before I can make the relationship work. Thanks again! I will try to update, but it's pretty hard because it wasn't a question per se, the cards popped out, so I don't know to what specific situation I should refer to.