Problem with edging

Farzon

Yesterday, I trimmed my first deck, my Vampire Tarot by Robert Place. It looks way better now and is way more easy to handle. I planned blackening the edges and went through the threads on this topic. I bought a blank permanent marker to do the job.

However, I decided to practice on the remnants of the ugly white borders, to give it a try and to practice. Well... the ink doesn't only show at the edge, it's kind of sucked into the tissue.... leaving visible flow marks in the upper layers of the cardboard. Any tips on avoiding this? Has anyone had the same problem?
I attached a pic of two borders; I tried two different markers and both result in the same flow marks, see the upper edges.

uploadfromtaptalk1440317855452.jpg

Farzon

Thank you! I knew the thread but thought it was only about tools.... there's indeed a part there about ink bleeding into the pictures. Seems it had to do with the paper not with the pen. So I'll have to screw that idea I suppose....

feynrir

Yes, I've definitely had the same thing happen before. Both were actually USGames decks.

It bothered me just enough. I'm glad that I learned not all decks will do this!

delinfrey

This might be a long shot, but:

In my crafts, this tends to be the result when the edges are hairy (even on microlevel, not visible to the eye). So the issue is a bit open, which causes the ink to bleed

Techniques to try:
If you have very strong/fluid ink, dont use the marker to slide, but instead slide the edge on the marker, and hold it downwards so the gravity is on your side
If this does not work, use acrylic marker instead of ink
Try sanding the edges of the cardboard (slide both sides of the edge on a harsh surface) so that the edges "close"

Hope ot helps!

Farzon

This might be a long shot, but:

In my crafts, this tends to be the result when the edges are hairy (even on microlevel, not visible to the eye). So the issue is a bit open, which causes the ink to bleed

Techniques to try:
If you have very strong/fluid ink, dont use the marker to slide, but instead slide the edge on the marker, and hold it downwards so the gravity is on your side
If this does not work, use acrylic marker instead of ink
Try sanding the edges of the cardboard (slide both sides of the edge on a harsh surface) so that the edges "close"

Hope ot helps!
Wow thank you!
Yes, the edges are a little hairy actually. The original ones as well as the cut ones. I keep some of the original borders so I'll have enough material to try.

LindaMechele

You might also try some scrapbooking inks. I had a similar problem with magic marker, but not with the Tim Holtz Distress ink pad I tried. Graphite Black was the one. I caught them on sale from Joanns.com. They may still be on sale? It was just a couple weeks ago.