DECK OF THE MONTH: JULY

merissa_88

Hi everyone!

Theme TBA (if anyone has an idea, let me know)

Please feel free to join me and I'll add your name, deck, and "project" for the month!
Feel free to post readings in this forum: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=195268

WELCOME!

Please post a comment to include the deck or decks you will be focusing on this month (feel free to join in at any point in the month).

Please feel free to post any questions, comments, concerns and advice inquiries in this thread. It belongs to all of us!

Most importantly, have fun!

*** WHEN POSTING ABOUT YOUR DECKS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE POST THE NAME OF YOUR DECK(S) THAT YOU ARE USING ON THE "TITLE" LINE FOR EASY REFERENCE***

merissa_88: Thoth Tarot
Mi-Shell: Songs for the Journey Home Tarot

merissa_88

Thoth Tarot

I'm going to give the Crowley Thoth a try this month. This deck is so complex for me that I usually rely on my knowledge of astrology to navigate it. I'm going to really study it this month.

I'm reading my Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lilo DuQuette, New Age Tarot by James Wanless, and The Tarot Handbook by Angeles Arrien. A really wonderful combination of approaches to this one deck. This week I'm focusing on the DuQuette book.

Vesna

deleted
wrong topic :)

Mi-Shell

Hmmmm; July will be a very stressssful month for us, lots of market days and craft shows, jewellery orders and also my US clients and students coming up for vacation. I am not sure, what deck I will entrust to accompany me through all that.
there will be no time to study anything new - so it will have to be an old friend.....
But which one?????
Decisions, decisions..
I think, the "Songs for the Journey Home" may fit my mood right now......

merissa_88

Hmmmm; July will be a very stressssful month for us, lots of market days and craft shows, jewellery orders and also my US clients and students coming up for vacation. I am not sure, what deck I will entrust to accompany me through all that.
there will be no time to study anything new - so it will have to be an old friend.....
But which one?????
Decisions, decisions..
I think, the "Songs for the Journey Home" may fit my mood right now......

Welcome back, Mi-Shell!

That is a gorgeous deck! BTW, have fun with your craft shows. (and the vacation)

merissa_88

Thoth Tarot

For this tarot, I've needed to read the DuQuette book and watch some YouTube videos by Paul Hughes-Barlow on reading The Book of Thoth. I've enjoyed this more traditional approach, but I'm ready to try something different. I think the card I've learned the most about is Adjustment.

I was reading Crowley's description in the Book of Thoth and thinking how much the card reminded me of karma. Then I read the part where he mentions karma. Very funny as I'd always thought of karmic patterns with Fortune instead.

Starting next week, I'm going to read the Angeles Arrien book.

merissa_88

Thoth Tarot

This was my first week with the Angeles Arrien book on the Thoth. Amazing experience! I really find her work speaks to me and the way I read.

Every major arcana has an analysis of symbolism based on cross-cultural symbolism. Then there's a description of how the trump functions as a life or year card. Since I use tarot life and year cards often in my work, I loved her approach.

She also describes how the astrological energy works in your life. For example, the Chariot is my tarot life card. She mentions the crab and the four animals in front of he chariot, associated with astrology. She looks at the four "fixed" astrological energies of Aquarius, Taurus, Leo, and Scorpio and describes which activities tend to flow during these months through the lens of a Chariot life quest. As a person who loves movement and change, I very much identified with her timing. The cross-quarter days of Imbolc, Beltane, Lammas, and Samhain just happen to fall within those months, along with the powerful summer solstice during the astrological period of Cancer/The Chariot.

I think I'll be moving back and forth between her book and the DuQuette book this week.

Mi-Shell

Ooooh Ian soooo glad, July is over and DONE with!
For me from now on it will get a little easier with craft shows, markets and clients.... I survived July clutching the "Songs for the Journey Home" firmly in my hand and just pulling my 3 card daily readings......
1 Today's challenges
2 Today's guidance
3 today's outcomes/ teachings
Often the cards gave valuable insights, which in all the rush and stress I had failed to notice.

I have another month of "relative crazzzzzyness" to get through and am wondering, iffff I should continue with this deck....

merissa_88

Thoth Tarot

Mi-Shell,

I hope you'll have more time with your deck as your season winds down.

I am still reading with the Thoth and studying the DuQuette book. I've been distracted by reading Tarot 101 by Kim Huggens.

Question: does anyone want me to re-start DOTM in September or is it time to move on?

Thanks!

swedishfish612

I always come peek in this thread, but I usually do DoTW, and committing to a whole month seems so...HUGE, lol. I keep thinking I'll do it next month...no, next month...and so on. I do think I need at least a month to scratch the surface with some of the decks in my collection.

On another note, I'm also working through Tarot 101, with my RWS! It's a fantastic book.