Worst ever experience getting deck through customs?

MandMaud

I wish it didn't have to depend on the goodwill of the seller!

I believe that if they state "gift" rather than "goods", it goes through ok. A bit like PayPal; I've had (small) charities request that people call donations "gift" rather than "payment for goods received" or whatever the wording is, because gifts incur no fees.

Oh, and don't get me started on PayPal. :rolleyes:

gregory

I wish it didn't have to depend on the goodwill of the seller!

I believe that if they state "gift" rather than "goods", it goes through ok. A bit like PayPal; I've had (small) charities request that people call donations "gift" rather than "payment for goods received" or whatever the wording is, because gifts incur no fees.

Oh, and don't get me started on PayPal. :rolleyes:
If a commercial seller (and this includes ebay for customs purposes) puts gift on the package, they can be done for fraud. I don't expect them to take that risk - though I am hugely grateful to those who do. I also like those who "forget" to check either box...

Donations on paypal - anyone can put "sending money" for anything, and then it's fee free unless you use a credit card - in which case YOU pay the fees. But if you do that you lose out on paypal protection - the fees are sort of insurance, in my view.

Am I the ONLY person here who has NEVER had a problem with paypal except for one chargeback I claimed in about 2002, and didn't manage to get from them (but did from my credit card )? They seem to have sorted that stuff now. I find it excellent. I've used it since - um - 2001, and that was the ONLY thing that EVER went wrong.

Le Fanu

Never had a problem with PayPal either. I can't even think what could go wrong, unless they stole your money, which is highly unlikely. I'm sure everyone here has their gripes except Gregory and I but PayPal for me has always given excellent service.

gregory

Never had a problem with PayPal either. I can't even think what could go wrong, unless they stole your money, which is highly unlikely. I'm sure everyone here has their gripes except Gregory and I but PayPal for me has always given excellent service.
THANKS, Leffy. I felt a bit lonely defending them, but they are SO much better than sending random people your credit card details ! (And yes, I have a card I use ONLY on line, and at the first hint of fraud, I'd shut it down, but still.)

I don't THINK HMRC set the post office fees, by the way - but they are a nightmare on income tax. When I retired - in June or July, I forget, I claimed my tax for that year back. I mean- on 1/3 of the year on a part time NHS salary, none was due. Nope. I asked again - nope, that was my code. I asked several times (this was in 2006.) They were then taxing me on my pitiful pension, but - well, that's tax bands for you.

However - in 2012 I suddenly got a cheque (I'd given up trying some time in 2007.) "We have been checking our records and it would appear that you overpaid in the tax year 2006-7." Well, DUH. You could have saved yourself the effort if you had listened to me in the first place.

But they did pay interest on it - almost 50p !

Thoughtful

l wanted a deck from Duck Soup (Freda), l duly ordered and got slammed for a hefty sum that nearly matched the cost of the deck. He has some lovely tarots but l cannot afford to risk buying them.
l have ordered from Ciro Marchetti and never paid other than the deck amount, perhaps l was lucky.

l really want to order the new upcoming tarot from seven stars has anyone had to pay extra on the shipment from her. Is this all a game of chance?

Now Gregory hope you didn't spend that 50p all at once Lol!

gregory

l wanted a deck from Duck Soup (Freda), l duly ordered and got slammed for a hefty sum that nearly matched the cost of the deck. He has some lovely tarots but l cannot afford to risk buying them.
l have ordered from Ciro Marchetti and never paid other than the deck amount, perhaps l was lucky.

l really want to order the new upcoming tarot from seven stars has anyone had to pay extra on the shipment from her. Is this all a game of chance?
Seven Stars decks are - AFAIK - mailed from Germany (I think she uses Printerstudio, as I do...) so assuming that I'm right - no charges at all.

I'm not sure how Ciro does it, but I've never paid anything on stuff from him. I never though to look hard at the label, but he knows his stuff, so...

Thoughtful

Thanks for info Gregory that's good to know :thumbsup:

Yelell

I've used paypal instead of paying direct with a credit card without problems. "Verified by Visa" Always denies my card on international purchases especially, but paypal always works. Paypal horror stories I hear often involve sellers with crooked buyers getting undeserved refunds.

I'm in the US so it doesn't affect me, but I noticed something which may be relevant to you.

I just ordered from Duck Soup off Etsy, and the first edition Zirkus Magi listed a small shipping cost and shipping options from inside the US. I'd say the deck was printed previously and has to be shipped out personally.

The roadshow Zirkus and the lenormand, with customizable backs ($12 extra), list free shipping and no shipping options. This seems similar to the seven stars decks, also with the customizable backs for an extra $12, like maybe they don't exist yet and are printed on demand? It may be worth investigating.

gregory

I've used paypal instead of paying direct with a credit card without problems. "Verified by Visa" Always denies my card on international purchases especially, but paypal always works. Paypal horror stories I hear often involve sellers with crooked buyers getting undeserved refunds.
This. And I HATE Verified by Visa with a PASSION. It has made Visa virtually unusable on many sites. Also the equivalent for Mastercard - I forget what it's called, but it fails 50% of the time (which is hugely better than the Visa one, but still...)

I'm in the US so it doesn't affect me, but I noticed something which may be relevant to you.

I just ordered from Duck Soup off Etsy, and the first edition Zirkus Magi listed a small shipping cost and shipping options from inside the US. I'd say the deck was printed previously and has to be shipped out personally.

The roadshow Zirkus and the lenormand, with customizable backs ($12 extra), list free shipping and no shipping options. This seems similar to the seven stars decks, also with the customizable backs for an extra $12, like maybe they don't exist yet and are printed on demand? It may be worth investigating.
That DOES sound printerstudio-ish. If TGC don't develop their own hubs soon, as they said they were planing to, they are going to lose out to PS big time - shipping and customs are getting to be such an issue.

earthair

(Warning: please cover your ears now)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh:mad:

It's happened again.
£3.07 VAT charge, plus £8 handing charge

:(