Cleaning Crystals (Water + Salt) Help

Shikamaru

Cleaning Stones/Crystals

Okay, I am going to list the crystals I am about to clean, and I need to know if water(Hot and cold) and sea salt will damage them. Which ones will be alright?

Blue Lace Agate
Goldstone
BlueGoldStone
Kyanite (I think that is it's name, it looks like blue wood)
Quartz
Kunzite or Unakite (Green with pink specks on it, I think one of those is the name)
Apache's Tear
Aquamarine
Bronzite
Snowflake Obsidion
Various Jaspers
Hematite
Onyx
Jet
Lapis Lazuli
Amethyst
Botswana Agate
Howlite
Tiger's Eye
Blue Tiger's Eye
Sardonyx
Rose Quartz
Citrine
Carnelian
Labradorite
Emerald
MoonStone
Garnet
Peridot
Sodalite
Flourite

Long list, but knowing which would be damaged would really help me out. Thanks.

In fact, to make it easy for you, just copy and paste the list and put Y or N next to the name of the crystal. Yes if it can go through the process, No if it cannot.

Whimsical Fey

Just to be on the safe side I never clean my crystals with salt and water solution. I've heard that it can damage some crystals like you've said, and I rather not take my chances. Why don't you try cleansing them with sage. Or run them through cold water. I've tried both and I've never had reason to complain. They've worked very well.

I realize that this was not exactly the reply you were looking for but hopefully you may find it helpful.

-Whimsical Fey

Shikamaru

Yeah, but I don't like sage or incense because it can give ya cancer (If exposed to it a lot, I believe 2 hours of breathing it in causes DNA damage, read that somewhere) so I want to use SeaSalt because it is pure and water. I have already done it on a few and they all came out of it wonderfully and renewed. If anyone can fulfil the original request that would be amazing.

morticia monroe

You don't want to get your kyanite wet. And it doesn't ever need cleansing anyway, it never retains or accumulates negative energy.

lark

Are you cleaning or cleansing?
Cleansing meaning to restore energy to the stone.
Not all stones are cleansed by water and salt..different stones have different cleansing needs.

Blue Lace Agate-moonlight as the moon begins to wax...leave out over night.

Goldstone-leave on window ledge on a starry night.
BlueGoldStone -same as above

Kyanite (I think that is it's name, it looks like blue wood)-leave near plants for an hour after dawn.

Quartz-leave in midday sunlight among greenery.

Kunzite or Unakite (Green with pink specks on it, I think one of those is the name)-this is Unakite...rub with a drop of olive oil then clean under running water.

Apache's Tear-under any light source.

Aquamarine- sea water or water with a pinch of sea salt in a blue glass bowl, on the night of the full moon...rinse in clear water in the morning.

Bronzite-cannot find any info on this one.

Snowflake Obsidion-place it in front of a small black and white candle that you then burn until it burns through and goes out.

Various Jaspers-over the top of the flame of a red candle.

Hematite-smudge with sage or cedar.

Onyx-leave in sunlight for a day.

Jet-bury in soil over night.

Lapis Lazuli-starlight...leave outside on a clear starlite night.

Amethyst-under the light of the moon.

Botswana Agate- most agates can be cleansed by placing in among greenery for 24 hours.

Howlite-set it in a white ceramic bowl and set it in the middle of the room during a happy family gathering.

Tiger's Eye-leave the stone in sunlight from noon untill the sun is low in the sky.
Blue Tiger's Eye-the same as above

Sardonyx-sprinkle a clockwise circle of rose petals or rose based pot pourrri round sardonyx and leave from dusk until dawn.

Rose Quartz-a few drops of rose water.

Citrine-in sunlight from dawn untill noon...on the summer solstice is best.
Do not leave in sunlight longer than that it may crack.

Carnelian-in sunlight or under running water...placing carnelian with other stones also cleanses it.

Labradorite-in anything that can create a rainbow...or when there is a rainbow present in the sky.

Emerald-wipe with soft cloth and recharge in a waxing moon.

MoonStone-full moon from moonrise to moonset.

Garnet-leave it out on a moonless or cloudy night.

Peridot-under the light of a full moon

Sodalite-bury it for 24 hours next to the base of lavender or other fragrant herbal plant.

Flourite-under running water.

Shikamaru

Wow, I am going to try all of those thing. Thank you very much. Would they all be okay except Kyanite to go into salt water though? Cause I want to clean them because people have been handling them and then charge them. Salt water is the way I want to go with cleaning them.

Once again though lark, thank you.

lark

If a stone it tumbled and has a polish coating on it it is usually ok to use water and salt, but if it is crumbly or layered like Kyanite it is questionable and you should use the other cleansing methods.
Better to error on the safe side than ruin your crystal.

lark

Most of the info on the list came from the book The Illustrated Directory of Healing Crystals by Cassandra Eason...excellent book and one of the few I've found with information of this type on cleansing.
Available from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.
Well worth adding to your collection if you are passionate about your crystals.

Sophie

I used salt and water only with a few stones - quartz family, beryl family - that's more or less it. Lapis and sodalite you can kiss goodbye to if you put water on them, let alone salt. Any friable/soft stone, in fact.

I separate cleaning, cleansing and charging or recharging. Before charging, I cleanse - in water and salt (for the stones I mention above), in water alone, in dry earth or sand. I also use reiki to cleanse, or simply intent. I charge my stones on a clear quartz druse.

Shikamaru

Actually, the Sodalite came out of the sea salt water mixture with a nice shine. It is tumbled or something so I don't know if that matters but it is as good as ever and it was in the solution for over a day.