Cartomancy

Logiatrix

Re: As for me...

Wisp Wings said:
...I have a few reasons for why doing this. One, if using just Tarot meanings, why not just give a Tarot reading?
I have a few rather mundane motives for sometimes choosing playing cards over tarot cards, while still using tarot meanings. One reason is that a poker deck is a good cover in public settings. I've not personally experienced problems with having a tarot deck in public, but I still accept the idea of how much more "benign" playing cards are to those who do not accept tarot cards. Also, some of my querents are more comfortable with playing cards over tarot cards, for whatever reasons. I don't judge, I just go with the poker deck reading, and they are quite happy with the results.
Also, playing cards are more portable and replaceable. I'm a Cancerian with a Moon in Capricorn, so it appeals to my frugal, practical nature (but there's also a Libra thing going on in my chart somewhere, so I still prefer high quality playing cards).
;)
My choice to go with tarot meanings is because I've found that I like the patterns and interconnectedness innate to tarot. It makes sense to me. All I could see with other methods was a lot of rote meanings, but no Journey...no Fool. It has been those greater archetypal symbols that brought me to my understanding tarot, i-ching, runes and all other divination tools I now utilize. I couldn't help but apply this same working model to my poker deck readings.
So, I found a way to interpret the Journey of the Fool in playing cards.
:)

Wisp Wings

Hi Kaz:

I was talking of 52 card deck. I have read of the using the 36 card system too.

Wisp Wings

Lee gave a great example of how Regina's use of the cards and her spreads are. Thanks Lee for sharing that. Her spreads are laid about in fans of three cards each and will jump from cards in one fan to another fan. There is meanings for the order of the cards as to what card is sandwich between the other two, which card is the bottom ones and which is on top of the fans, meaning both the value and the suit of the cards shown.

Elle, I had originally thought to use a deck and write the main meaning on each card as a study deck. But like Lee and I have said, there is just too many unrelated meanings assigned a card to have this on a regular deck. Like most people don't think a needle and cooking or baking as related.

My Index Card Deck is really going to be used much like flash cards to learn by. I am adding four cards in addition to the other 52. These are "Suit Theme" cards. At the beginning of her book she tells for each suit a paragraph each of "Practical Meaning" and "Spiritual Meaning" for the suits. Then all four suits have an overview of what the suit represents as well. So I have on one side the overview, the other side a paragraph at each end of Practical Meaning and Spiritual Meaning.

Example for the Practical portion, I have:

Practical (then a heart drawn) Feeling
Satisfaction, love, romance, peace, rest, calm, contentment, happiness, laziness, emotions, the family.

Not that the Spiritual meaning is reversed, I just did this as to make it have a form, rather than scanning down to find where it starts.

If and when I use this practical, study deck to do a spread, the added four cards won't be in there at that time.

I don't think I will have a hard time in transferring my understanding from the index cards to a real deck. I have played with regular decks since age 5. For now due to the index cards holding so much info, I have decided to make them stand out by using magic markers of red and black and I draw (example 6 [then a heart shape] for Six of Hearts), instead of having it be a complete look of a Six of Hearts playing card.

One last bit here, her way can tell you if the cards are suggesting water skiing, snow skiing, a life guard, a trip to Disney Land, an ice hockey game, losing your purse, a fire that is electrical, etc. This is some of the things I meant about it being very detailed. You study and learn by combining cards and putting the various meanings together, plus using a continuous on-going delevoped level of intuition.

Lee

If one could find a set of miniature playing cards, one could tape each card in a corner of the index card, so then you would have a picture of the whole card rather than just the number and suit symbol.

I found the extremely specific details to be an attractive feature of Russell's approach, but then I began to chicken out. Do I really have the chutzpah to sit in front of a querent and tell them that they have had an electrical fire in the recent past? What if they say they haven't? Regina would probably simply proceed to interpret the cards in a different way, but I would feel awfully silly about it.

Anyway, for sure learning this system takes a lot of commitment. I admire anyone who has the initiative to do it! :)

-- Lee

catlin

I also read with simple playing cards (mostly according to tarot meaning unless I work with the Tarot des regions de France, (check out at www.tarotwelten.de for pictures) which is different and for which I made up my own meanings.

But my greatest love is still tarot.

zorya

i read playing cards like kaz does, by using numerology and the suits. i really like that there are no images in the way, narrowing the interpretation.

i find this approach allows for a very broad spectrum of interpretations. there is plenty of room for intuition to speak.

i often find myself interpreting hearts with a more 'love' approach than i might for the cups in a tarot deck.

Little Baron

Re: Re: As for me...

Tauni said:
All I could see with other methods was a lot of rote meanings, but no Journey...no Fool. It has been those greater archetypal symbols that brought me to my understanding tarot, i-ching, runes and all other divination tools I now utilize. I couldn't help but apply this same working model to my poker deck readings.
So, I found a way to interpret the Journey of the Fool in playing cards.

Really interesting thread. Thanks Wisp Wings.

Tauni, I can relate to the way you work, I think. What you said about the journey of the fool; how did you develop that in the playing cards?

Best wishers

Yaboot

Logiatrix

Re: The Journey of the Fool

Yaboot,
That would be my previous reference to interpreting the majors; it's a system I created.

WolfyJames

I do cards but it's not like that at all, not based on tarot. I use my mother's book. It shows you how to read with 32 cards or 52 cards. My mother is 32 while me it's 52. I've decided to add a Joker when my friend, who does cards as well (and yet not like you, not like me), told me she was using a Joker with her 52 cards. My friend and I don't have the same spreads at all, the cards don't have the same meanings as well.

I prefer it this way. Tarots are more on an higher level (emotional, spiritual, mental...), while cards talk about the concrete world, everyday's life. They both fulfill different needs.

Logiatrix

Well said!

WolfyJames said:
I prefer it this way. Tarots are more on an higher level (emotional, spiritual, mental...), while cards talk about the concrete world, everyday's life. They both fulfill different needs.
Good point, Wolfy.
Do you have the title/author of the book you use?
The books still interest me, ESPECIALLY since no two ever seem to agree!