Horary charting vs. transit charting...difference?

MissNine

Hello astrologers...

I'm new to astrology and wanted to know if there is a difference between horary and charting of transits. Is it the same thing?

What exactly makes horary "horary"?

Online searches have not been helpful. I hope someone wouldn't mind helping me understand.
Thank you.

fixedair

Horary is a chart of the precise time a question is asked (or understood by the astrologer) in order to divine meaning similar to a tarot reading. Transit is the chart, horary is using it for a specific question.

Minderwiz

Hello astrologers...

I'm new to astrology and wanted to know if there is a difference between horary and charting of transits. Is it the same thing?

What exactly makes horary "horary"?

Online searches have not been helpful. I hope someone wouldn't mind helping me understand.
Thank you.

Strictly speaking, any chart you cast is a Transit Chart because it records the positions of the planets in the zodiac most particularly, relative to one location on Earth at one specific moment. It is that location that the planets 'transit', through rising, culmination, setting and anticulminating.

Natal Charts, Horary Charts, Solar Return Charts, Event Charts, Ingress Charts, etc are all varieties of Transit Chart.

Transit Charts can have a slightly narrower meaning. That is they are charts of the planets in the Zodiac, for one location and time compared to another chart for another time (and possibly location). This is the common meaning of Transit used by Natal Astrologers, when they compare the positions of the planets now (or ar some specific point in time) compared to a person's known natal chart. That is to the location where they were born or possibly the location where they live now (which requires adjusting the natal chart's location).

Thus when I speak of Transits to my chart for 19th August 2015 what I really mean is that I'm comparing the planetary positions on that date to what they were when I was born at the location where I was born. My natal chart isn't any old Transit Chart, it has significance for me because it's the chart of the planets transiting my location when I was born.

As fixedair says a Horary Chart is (like all the other charts ever cast) a Transit Chart. What makes it special is that it is related to a specific known event - the time when an Astrologer understands a question asked of them. Thus it is cast for the location where the Astrologer is, at that moment.

Horary comes from the Greek word hora, which originally meant an hour. The word horoscope literally means 'hour marker'. It is the chart for a particular hour - the hour (and minute) the Astrologer understands.

The process should be one in which the person asking the question spends time reflecting on the matter they wish to ask about and that matter should be of special importance to them. Once they know what their question is, then they ask the Astrologer, and she or he in turn thinks carefully to ensure they understand the question. Once the light of understanding dawns, they draw up a chart because the answer should be pointed to by the position of the planets, relative to the Astrologer, at that moment.

Whether Horary actually ever had that aura of magic I'm not sure. None of the original texts seem to empahsise it but some modern ones do. Either way, the chart is cast for a special moment, both for the querent and the Astrologer.

MissNine

Horary is a chart of the precise time a question is asked (or understood by the astrologer) in order to divine meaning similar to a tarot reading. Transit is the chart, horary is using it for a specific question.

Ah. Thank you. Now, I just need to find a site in German to explain it to my aunt. She's an astrologer and doesn't speak English. She doesn't understand what I'm talking about.

Your explanation really helps. Thank you.

MissNine

Strictly speaking, any chart you cast is a Transit Chart because it records the positions of the planets in the zodiac most particularly, relative to one location on Earth at one specific moment. It is that location that the planets 'transit', through rising, culmination, setting and anticulminating.

Natal Charts, Horary Charts, Solar Return Charts, Event Charts, Ingress Charts, etc are all varieties of Transit Chart.

Transit Charts can have a slightly narrower meaning. That is they are charts of the planets in the Zodiac, for one location and time compared to another chart for another time (and possibly location). This is the common meaning of Transit used by Natal Astrologers, when they compare the positions of the planets now (or ar some specific point in time) compared to a person's known natal chart. That is to the location where they were born or possibly the location where they live now (which requires adjusting the natal chart's location).

Thus when I speak of Transits to my chart for 19th August 2015 what I really mean is that I'm comparing the planetary positions on that date to what they were when I was born at the location where I was born. My natal chart isn't any old Transit Chart, it has significance for me because it's the chart of the planets transiting my location when I was born.

As fixedair says a Horary Chart is (like all the other charts ever cast) a Transit Chart. What makes it special is that it is related to a specific known event - the time when an Astrologer understands a question asked of them. Thus it is cast for the location where the Astrologer is, at that moment.

Horary comes from the Greek word hora, which originally meant an hour. The word horoscope literally means 'hour marker'. It is the chart for a particular hour - the hour (and minute) the Astrologer understands.

The process should be one in which the person asking the question spends time reflecting on the matter they wish to ask about and that matter should be of special importance to them. Once they know what their question is, then they ask the Astrologer, and she or he in turn thinks carefully to ensure they understand the question. Once the light of understanding dawns, they draw up a chart because the answer should be pointed to by the position of the planets, relative to the Astrologer, at that moment.

Whether Horary actually ever had that aura of magic I'm not sure. None of the original texts seem to empahsise it but some modern ones do. Either way, the chart is cast for a special moment, both for the querent and the Astrologer.

Wow. Thank you for this background. I didn't realize how the predictive nature of tarot can spill over into astrology charting. Very intriguing.

I appreciate your help, Minderwiz!