Three of Wands Rx

DamianStraton

A.E.Waite says "The end of troubles, suspension or cessation of adversity, toil and disappointment." I have no problem with the second part of his definition, the guy works around the clock and his efforts bear no fruit. But I do question the first part of his definition. Why would his troubles end? Why would adversity cease?

Any suggestions?

Haley

A.E.Waite says "The end of troubles, suspension or cessation of adversity, toil and disappointment." I have no problem with the second part of his definition, the guy works around the clock and his efforts bear no fruit. But I do question the first part of his definition. Why would his troubles end? Why would adversity cease?

Any suggestions?

Help from a person, persons or institution in a position of authority over the situation. IMHO.

Abrac

"The end of troubles, suspension or cessation of adversity, toil and disappointment." is the reversed meaning.

The upright meaning shows him as an enterprising businessman at the helm of a thriving import/export venture. His efforts have made him strong and successful; but success doesn't come without a price. He's faced adversity and troubles, both of which he's overcome and his labor has been rewarded.

The reversed position shows an end to adversity, but also an end to satisfaction that comes with successful efforts. To me, the reversed position indicates something more akin to a wage earner, a position that doesn't come with as much responsibility or trouble, but oftentimes can be disappointing.

DamianStraton

Thank you!

Thank you, Abrac, that makes a lot of sense.

Richard

Any suggestions?
May I rephrase what Waite says? "The end of troubles. Adversity, toil and disappointment will cease or at least stop for awhile." Waite's syntax can be confusing.

DamianStraton

May I rephrase what Waite says? "The end of troubles. Adversity, toil and disappointment will cease or at least stop for awhile." Waite's syntax can be confusing.

Thanks LRichard, but it is not a reading comprehension problem.I did not explain the problem correctly, though.

This is what Waite wrote: "The end of troubles, suspension or cessation of adversity, toil and disappointment."

I have no problems with this part: "toil and disappointment."

I do have a problem with this part: "The end of troubles, suspension or cessation of adversity"

Abrac offered a good explanation that makes a lot of sense. Nevertheless, I find A.E. Waite´s meaning to be quite ironic. Instead of saying, "Your business is going into the crapper" he just says "Hey, guess what? No more troubles for you!" (do you want to hear the bad news now? There will be "toil and disappointment [hehehe]").

rwcarter

This is what Waite wrote: "The end of troubles, suspension or cessation of adversity, toil and disappointment."

I've never given it any thought (and probably should try to read the PKT again as I'm much further along in my tarot journey than I was first and last time I tried to read it), but LRichard makes an interesting point. What if Waite meant something like, "The end of troubles. The suspension or cessation of (adversity, toil and disappointment)." I think that would still fit in with what Abrac said - instead of shouldering the burdens of an owner, you become a worker....

Mary, please FINISH YOUR BOOK "translating" the PKT into more approachable English! :D

DamianStraton

Of course LRichard has a point, rwcarter. It is much easier to read, no doubt about that.

Richard

I meant for "toil and disappointment" to be an appositional nominal phrase, amplifying or extending what was intended by the noun "adversity." The usual syntax for an apposition is to have the noun (such as "adversity") followed by a comma, followed by the appositional phrase ("toil and disappointment"). Let me try once more.

"The end of troubles, suspension or cessation of adversity (such as the adversity of toil and disappointment.)"

ETA. Abrac made an interesting point, but I think that Waite would be more likely to have used "toil and adversity" appositionally. His English had been gleaned more from dusty tomes in the English museum than from modern usage.

DamianStraton

Thank you!

ETA. Abrac made an interesting point, but I think that Waite would be more likely to have used "toil and adversity" appositionally. His English had been gleaned more from dusty tomes in the English museum than from modern usage.

Thank you for your help, LRichard!! You are absolutely right. I though Waite was using commas to separate elements in a series. Your theory fits better.

Mary, please FINISH YOUR BOOK "translating" the PKT into more approachable English! :D

Hi rwcarter, Are you referring to Mary Greer´s book on Waite’s hidden intentions for the Rider-Waite-Smith deck?