film "Abbey of Thelema"?

Lleminawc

I've been seeing some references to this movie, which seems to be in pre-production; I figure it's either going to be based on Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel or on the life of AC. Anyone know anything about it?

archer1

I did find some links on google. The movie is still being scripted and actors sought out. They intend it to be based on Crowley's life. There is also a link to "youtube.com it is a documentary about his time in Sicily. Hope this helps for now...

Lleminawc

Thanks for that archer.

The project now has a web presence at

http://www.abbeyofthelemafilm.com

It seems the film will be set during the period 1920-3 and has a planned release date of Dec 1st 2007. Here's a plot summary from the above website:

"Begins with Aleister Crowley meeting Leah in New York City, founding a commune in Sicily and ends with Aleister Crowley being expelled by Mussolini. What is unique about this movie is we focus in on each character individually, exploring their innerworkings, desires, feelings, emotions, deprivations and pain. We are attemping to be as historically accurate as possible, and we are making the movie with no bias or agenda."

ravenest

Oh dear!

Hmmm, not sure about this film. Loaction in 2 different parts of Us and Sicily and ; " IMPORTANT UPDATE!!! WE ARE AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. Filming will start June 2nd and end June 10th. " That's an 8 day shoot!??

I've worked on a few movies (anything from the Matrix to Charlottes Web) and I cant see a film like that being made in 8 days .... thats a LOT of patch up and post production, actually I assume MOST of the film will be in post production and made inside computer programmes ... it could turn out OK I guess ... by modern standards.

Good idea for a story though! How could anyone ever do a film on the life of AC? I like the idea better of making a segment like this, just one part. This or the mountaineering fun, or the scenes in Egypt and the pyramid, or the travells through Russia with the dancing girls ....

Scion

You're exactly right, ravenest: 8 days is a grim, rushed, sloppy mess waiting to happen, barring intervention by a gaggle of undiscovered geniuses.

I've worked on half-hour sitcom shoots that took that long. And that's simple one-camera atudio stuff with a massive support team in play. And this is a full film in period in which they want to "focus in on each character individually, exploring their innerworkings, desires, feelings, emotions, deprivations and pain." :bugeyed:

Ummm, right. And if my Aunt Jayne had nuts she'd be my Uncle.

Scion

ravenest

Yes, it does sound a little like Crowley's mountaineering plan to 'rush Everest'.

Maybe they will do things like 'French Hours" (10 hrs straight without a break) {Charlottes Web} - funny, people that worked in France said they never had to do that. And also 'volunteers' (that was what the extras ID tags said on the same film). Or the most recent ones (the new Baz Lurhman film) from the productioin company, "What can you do for us?" (how much can we rip you off from your stated fee) Or the Shell (petrol company) add that was moved location from the Sydney Harbour Bridge becasue it was explained that people that used the bridge for adverstising usually donated a few thousand bucks to the blind children fund. ("What can the blind children do for Shell?")

Put all of that together and ..... naH! It'd still be a mess.

abbeyofthelema

Abbey of Thelema Movie Update

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
Care Aeclectic Tarot Group,
My name is Vincent Jennings, and I am the producer of The Abbey of Thelema which is a movie inspired by the commune Aleister Crowley founded in Sicily 1920-1923. This dark comedy spans from AC's adventures in New York City where he found the Scarlet Woman Leah and ends when AC is deported by Mussolini.
We must say we are very pleased with all of the attention and the buzz the movie is getting. Interest in the movie has been phenomenal. A book by the same title is being released June 6, 2007. People are wanting to preorder the DVD. We even have collectors of memorabilia and props for the movie.
We have already begun filming in California and Sicily, coastal scenes, etc. We will film with the cast June 1-10 in an undisclosed location. People seem to think it is an impossible feat. All I can say is--we are ahead of schedule and time will tell if we meet all of our goals and expectations. The movie will be released on December 1, 2007 which is the 60th anniversary of Crowley's death.
We have a webpage at http://www.abbeyofthelemafilm.com and at http://imdb.com/title/tt1009011/ and http://pro.imdb.com/title/tt1009011/ for you film pros.
I learned the tarot from Paul Foster Case,who founded the Builders of the Adytum (B.O.T.A) and I learned Magick from Aleister Crowley, Austin Spare and Jack Parsons. I use the Thoth deck and the Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot.
Love is the law, love under will.
Vincent Jennings

Alta

Thanks Vincent. The extra detail is appreciated. Welcome.

franniee

thanks vincent!

Not new to tarot but new to AC - I am just learning the thoth and got the BOTA deck to color and learn from as well.

Can't wait to see your movie! Best wishes for a speedy and wonderful filming! :)

Scion

93!

Vincent, many thanks for the update... I'm glad to hear that things have coalesced and will be curious to hear about the 9 day shoot once it's done. As for people's incredulity, that's pretty easily explained: you have set yourself a punishing, optimistic schedule that flies in the face of most anecdotal film experience... but such is the ecosystem of indie film. Perhaps it's an opportunity to prove them wrong; everything is contingent upon the team I suppose.

Best of luck with the project and I look forward to screening the result.

Scion