How do you do an effective reading for yourself?

Gemini Rising

Le Fey-I really like your ideas for using the Tarot for yourself, and I would like to experiment with them. Sometimes I don't know why I do certain things, what my opinions REALLY are, what I want as opposed to what I need...it's all quite confusing, so hopefully the Tarot will be able to clear some things up for me. Thank you!

RangerGirl

tiger lily said:
A Tarot journal is a good idea. My tip: when doing your daily card in the morning, don´t look at it - lay it aside face down and go about your day as usual. In the evening, write down your day, the events, the overall mood, etc. Doesn´t have to be much, but do it before you look at your daily card. That way, you aren´t tempted to construct connections between your day and the card; you are forced to work with what you came up independantly. That should help you to get a more objective view of the card´s meaning.

Thank you Tiger Lily for such a wonderful piece of advice! I did it today and was absolutly thrilled!...

carcinya

I read for myself mostly because I don't have any opportunities to read for others, but also as a tool for self-improvement and, well... to ask my guides for help. That may sound silly, and as a science geek I can't explain it, but there you have it. Also, I have no idea why, but I do my best readings when reading for myself, and I don't mean "best" as in "bright and shiny".

When I phrase my question right, the answer is usually pretty accurate, sometimes scarily so, even when I don't like the answer. Especially when I don't like the answer. It's tough sometimes, because my cards don't sugarcoat anything... :)

And if I try to do another reading right after, to get a "better" answer, my deck becomes stubborn as hell. In those cases it's not usual for me to draw the same card 6 or 7 times in a row. :D

As a rule, I tend to avoid "future" readings for myself. Forewarned is forearmed, yes, but the warning sometimes isn't specific enough for my overactive mind. Here's an example:

A couple of months ago I did a general CC spread, to get a sense of where I was at. As outcome I received the 3 of Swords. That pierced heart scared the hell out of me, because my mom was sick at the time, and I feared something bad might happen. I also wondered if my ex would break my heart again. I kept waiting for *something* to happen and I worried myself sick. After a while I realized the card wasn't referring to an outside event, but to the inner pain I had been feeling since my breakup and refusing to deal with.

Since then I've learned to ask very specific questions, especially when there's an element of future involved: otherwise, a "negative" card can drive me nuts. For example, if I get the Tower as "outcome" in a general reading, I want to know whether my boyfriend is going to dump me or if my house is going to fall down on my head... :D

I've also learnt the hard way not to ask questions I don't want answered. Sometimes it's not bad to let things unfold as they're meant to (says the Hanged Man in my readings these days). :)

Sorry about the long rambling post. :D

Water Lady

I struggled with this for a long time, nothing I read for myself was accurate although I could read well for others.
I am much better now and don't have a clue as to why.
Maybe it is just I have learned a lot more, maybe I am tuned in more to the cards - that is true.
I would agree with keep a daily journal of all readings and daily cards.
You will learn a lot.
Do a one card draw for the week and then daily cards - keep journal.
It will just come more and more as you learn.

nisaba

I think the trick is *not* to do spreads for yourself. Pulling daily cards seems to help a lot of people. I don 't even do that when I'm reading publicly - it seems that, just as I seem to dream less when I'm doing dreamwork and dream interpretation with others, I seem to need fewer readings or daily cards when I'm working with Tarot for/with others. It's as if processing other people's stuff on the surface, enables you to process your own stuff simultaneously on a deeper level.

But if I were not reading for others, I'd probably be pulling daily cards and blogging about it (I'm about to bite the bullet and start my first-ever blog, folks! How scary).

silvergirl

I really dont agree with the books or anyone who says you shouldnt read for yourself. Ive been reading cards since I was 10. My grandmother taught me and she only read for herself. I didnt read for anyone till I was in my 30's. Reading for yourself is the most effective way to know the cards and connect with your deck. I agree that all decks are different and feel different. My Rider Waite deck is my 'tough love' deck, I use that deck the most and it knows me well. My Enchanted deck is much kinder in its opinions. The only issue I see with reading for yourself is what others have mentioned..you can obsess about a certain problem. I've never had the cards show biased, they have always been truthful, but they get tired of answering the same questions and throw out some 'huh?' cards that will have you scratching your head. I recall when I broke up with someone (for like the 6th time in 25 years, same man) I consulted my deck almost every day. I was truly obsessed, heart broken. Time and again tarot told me to move on but it was hard to let go. Now in my opinion my deck knew this man almost as well as it knew me, since he had been the topic of my questions for so long. It was really tired of aswering me about this worthless creep. The cards evetually got so jumbled and made so little sense, I had to go cold turkey. So just be careful. Tarot isnt a crutch and it wont allow you to use that way. But read on. When I was learning I wouold go through every card and read it aloud and its meaning. If I wasnt sure it went in the 'idk' pile. When I was done I had a deck I could recite and a deck I had to learn more. I would continue reading until the 'idk' deck got smaller. If you read every day you can learn the cards in a few months.

Ms Magpie

Good day all!

I love this thread to be honest, I am also new and find that I should be able to read the cards for myself. but the truth is, do I wish to hear what they have to say. In that aspect we put a spin on the information.

I think we can read, I use the workbook, and read the forums quite a bit.

I can't wait to do more.

Barbara

Sar

When I am reading for my self, I choose the deck which images makes me uncomfortavle. They will tell the truth and I just have to see it. Mona Lisa Tarot is great fpr selfreadings as matter of fact.

starrystarrynight

As has probably been said, the hardest part of reading for yourself is being objective. Sometimes, it's easier to imagine what you would say to a stranger getting the cards you drew and then project that onto your own energies.

But reading for oneself is a good way to practice and learn...especially if you do any kind of predictive reading, because you can journal the reading and go back later to see how it turned out and which card actually said what about your situation when whatever the reading was about finally comes to pass.

Bunnisox

Honestly, I think the best and most accurate tarot readings are the ones done for yourself! It's my belief that putting all your energies and thoughts into the cards while shuffling them is exactly the method to getting a great reading. And as for the actual interpretation of the meanings in regard to your situation/question, if you think your own thoughts are misconstrued, I don't think it's never a bad idea to ask for others interpretation of a card and/or position. :)