How do you journal your tarot?

Anyankah

Lyric said:
Reading all this has made me too tired to start a journal. :p

I'm totally amazed that some of you have time to do anything else besides journal. I'm lucky to have the time and energy to even make one journal. In fact, if I wasn't compulsive about using the cards everywhere I go in every spare moment, I probably wouldn't have time for those, either.

How much time do you spend communicating with friends etc.? How much would you write if that wasn't frequently available and writing was often the best way to fulfill your desire to do something like communicating?

Lyric said:
Once I get moved, (did I tell you all I'm moving?) I think I'm going to discipline myself to setting aside an hour a day to journal. Mine will probably be an all-in-one journal, but I'll have a wonderful lounge set out under some big trees in the yard where I can go and just journal in peace, so I'll let you know how I do. :)

What I don't really understand is people journaling for reasons other than that they feel like it.

Sinduction

Wow, I need to start mine again.

I have a collection, a notebook busting at the seams with all the info I have collected over the years. I really should put it in order.

I really should keep track of my readings. I've always wanted to do that.

VGimlet

Apocalipstick said:
So here's a question. Do any of you intense journalers ever go back and read what you wrote?

Totally! I look at my daily tarot journals once in awhile to see if there were bigger things coming through. (Like the three weeks I kept being told "trip will be delayed".) I also go back and look through my spreads - especially my list of 3 card spreads.

As far as my other journals go...I have used them to settle bets, and they are also fun to read years later. I recently got a huge kick out of reading my 1985 journal (I had been married 3 years).

Just fyi my pet journal has pictures of all our pets, nicknames, where we got them, when they were born, (if we know) when they died, big events, like "Magic ate a sock and had to have it surgically removed." LOL

I also have several blogs - I am thinking of doing a tarot blog. I update some of them weekly, some of them longer than that. It actually doesn't take that long - and I love to write, so all of it is an outlet.

Rin

I have two tarot journals. One for readings, and one for character readings where I make roleplaying characters. Lol. I want to move onto something with a binder and the like, but I find I really enjoy TYPING things out when doing long winded discussions, and writing just for meanings to help it get ingrained into my head.

Grizabella

Anyankah said:
How much time do you spend communicating with friends etc.? How much would you write if that wasn't frequently available and writing was often the best way to fulfill your desire to do something like communicating?

I don't spend much time communicating with anyone except here on AT. I'm a grandmother raising grandkids and I'm disabled, so I don't have a raging social life. My kids and grandkids, a few acquaintances.

Anyankah said:
What I don't really understand is people journaling for reasons other than that they feel like it.

I'm not sure why you think I'd be journaling for some reason other than that I'd feel like it. I do feel like it. I just don't always have time for it. When I move in with my daughter, then I'll have more time for it, hence "setting aside" an hour to journal every day.

I've been a writer for many years. Nobody famous mind you, but newsletters, business writing, entertainment writing, a column here and there, fiction writing more recently, and next will come a novel-----I've always written. I just haven't kept a journal anymore in the last 14 or 15 years.

Anyankah

I'm sorry if any grumpiness got into my post and seemed like it was directed towards you. I'm in a temporary-this-time but quite lonely situation.

Lyric said:
I don't spend much time communicating with anyone except here on AT. I'm a grandmother raising grandkids and I'm disabled, so I don't have a raging social life. My kids and grandkids, a few acquaintances.

Well unless your grandkids are pre-speaking age I imagine you spend time communicating with them. But it's probably not the same as having a "social life" and in any case I shouldn't be making guesses that could seem like judgments about peoples' lives.

Lyric said:
I'm not sure why you think I'd be journaling for some reason other than that I'd feel like it. I do feel like it. I just don't always have time for it. When I move in with my daughter, then I'll have more time for it, hence "setting aside" an hour to journal every day.

I guess from other peoples' perspective I have a strange relationship with journaling, and I need to remember that the "normal" way probably makes more sense. I've never worried about journaling too little when I've gone long periods without it, and have found the need to quit journaling because I felt I was doing so too much sometimes. To me when people talk about making an effort to journal seems like if I said I should try to increase my cookie intake. But there is value to it, and I guess for those people it would actually be like if I said I should try to finish more craft projects, which does make sense to me.

kisou

MercyMe said:
I do it online. On my blog: 78 Notes To Self. :)

I love your blog, btw! Got into it by The Tarot Connection ^_~

But yeah, in general I have to agree with what some people said about online journals//journals stored on a PC. Much easier to write and to go back and review later on since it's all in one place. Plus copy and pasting works wonders if you find a gem.

And hey, you could always print out whatever you might have written and store in a binder later on~

Aulruna

Wow, I'm really impressed how organized some of you are going about their journaling.

I started a diary when I was 7 years old - my favourite aunt took me to the stationer's to pick out one, with one of those cutesy locks and keys... Back then, I wrote school report-like texts about exciting events in my life, like weddings or holidays. From my teens through to mid-twenties I was a compulsive journaler and have accumulated 30-odd tomes during that time, filled with rants and self-reflections. I found it very helpful at the time and some parts are not too embarassing, so I can still enjoy them today.

Nowadays, I have three notebooks - for art, Tarot, and "everything else". The art notebook has sketches, ideas and material lists. The "everything else" has random notes, magazine clippings and everything from URLs to recipes. The current Tarot notebook is the one that comes with the Nova; I always meant to fill in the section about single cards properly, but it all turned into a motley mix over time. It has spreads, very short notes on readings, card correspondences, and so on.

None of those is kept on a regular basis - I'm currently carrying the sketchbook everywhere, but there are weeks and even months when I don't.
Oh yes, and I have a blog on livejournal, but it is updated so haphazardly and seldom, it doesn't make much sense to even go and look...