RWS 3 of Wands weird thing

coredil

gregory said:
Frank Jensen responded:

Quote:
As someone else at Aeclectic said, these lines do not appear on Pam A (nor Pam D). Otherwise, they are present in all other WST editions including USGS's and including the first edition of Waite's 'Pictorial Key' (1911). It is right, that this support Piero Alligo's theory of the sequence of the early WST printings, (advocating that Pam-B/Pam C were the first versions printed). We are actually talking about two different sequences: the print sequence and the publication sequence. It is the latter, I describe in my book. There are no divergences between Piero and me: I fully accept Piero's 'printing sequence' as well as he does accept my 'sequence of publication'.

My apologies for remembering him wrong !

For anyone who was not aware of Pietro Alligo theory (like me), here is a link to a more detailled comment from Frank Jensen on Alligos theory:
http://www.manteia-online.dk/waite-smith/alligo-cts.htm

I guess I have to find a copy of the book "Twenty Years of Tarot: The Lo Scarabeo Story" ;)

BTW this theory makes me a happy collector, if Alligo is right my Pamela C copy would be even older than Pam A :D

Best regards

gregory

coredil said:
I guess I have to find a copy of the book "Twenty Years of Tarot: The Lo Scarabeo Story" ;)
Indeed you do - as well as Jensen's book. The LS book is available very reasonably from Book depository - well that's where mine comes from.

ETA here it is - free postage worldwide. !

coredil

gregory said:
Indeed you do - as well as Jensen's book. The LS book is available very reasonably from Book depository - well that's where mine comes from.

ETA here it is - free postage worldwide. !
Thanks Gregory but I just found and bought the LS book new for 29,90 EURO on Ebay.de with free postage too ;)

Best regards

coredil

blue_fusion

truelighth said:
I just added a close up of the quirky thingie on the 3 of Wands from my Pam-A with crackled back. So you all can see what it looks like. What do you all think... printing mistake? Or something else?

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/truelighth/?action=view&current=3wandsthingie.jpg

It looks like two fuzzy caterpillars coming out of his sleeve. Maybe nobody noticed the silkworms that got stuck when the fabric was woven. Or maybe it's symbolically linked to the card, the caterpillars moving on to pupate, with the pregnant promise of a butterfly ahead. Or probably it is indeed a printing error. :D

coredil

blue_fusion said:
It looks like two fuzzy caterpillars coming out of his sleeve. Maybe nobody noticed the silkworms that got stuck when the fabric was woven. Or maybe it's symbolically linked to the card, the caterpillars moving on to pupate, with the pregnant promise of a butterfly ahead. Or probably it is indeed a printing error. :D

Oh, I see!
Now I have the proof that I have no imagination at all when I look to pictures (bad for Tarot reading) :D
But well I make music ;)

To add something here two detailled scans of the Queen of Cups.
On the Pam C one can see a bird (now don't tell me it is not a bird!)
On the Blue Box RWS (and on most edition except the Original Rider) the bird is gone :)

Attachments

• PamCQueenOfCupBird.jpg
    PamCQueenOfCupBird.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 106
  • BlueBoxQueenOfCupNoBird.jpg
    BlueBoxQueenOfCupNoBird.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 117

blue_fusion

coredil said:
Oh, I see!
Now I have the proof that I have no imagination at all when I look to pictures (bad for Tarot reading) :D
But well I make music ;)

To add something here two detailled scans of the Queen of Cups.
On the Pam C one can see a bird (now don't tell me it is not a bird!)
On the Blue Box RWS (and on most edition except the Original Rider) the bird is gone :)

I have to concede, it does look like an albatross. But see, remove the albatross and you get... a giant sea turtle entering a grotto followed by a seal. Perhaps Pixie and Dali met in their dreams... :D

Attachments

• BlueBoxQueenOfCupNoBird.jpg
    BlueBoxQueenOfCupNoBird.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 109

truelighth

It does look a like an albatross or some kind of bird. But there is no trace of it on any of the Pam-A's and the Pam-D. The Pam-B also has it. Maybe some artistic freedom of the copyist who made the plates? Doesn't look like just a crack or printing mistake.

And Blue-Fusion, such imagination you have. Caterpillars, caves... your posts cracked me up :D.