Estensi Tarot-Lo Scarabeo's 'golden deck'

Cerulean

Alidastore/images of original Charles VI

Alidastore.com is in San Marino--very near Italy? It's a republic. Alidastore.com for me has been very reliable and I ordered through their site to ship to the U.S. quite a few times.

They listed the Estensi Tarot two weeks ago--I have the booklet with different languages, English included.

Best wishes,

Cerulean Mari

P.S. Link to photos of historical originals of so-called "Charles VI" (16 majors that the Estensi Tarot uses:)

http://www.poker168.com/bwg/bwg_tl4.htm

Rusty Neon

Illustrated Pips / Suit Names

• I just took a look at the scans at the link that Solandia posted above. The 9 of Coins (or what appears to be the 9 of Coins) has an illustration. This would, then, appear to be a deck with illustrated pip cards (Two to Ten of each suit of the minor arcana). Is this correct? Do the pips of this new deck use RWS divinatory meanings (or some other meanings)?

Thanks for any replies.
  • By the way, I noticed the suit name printed on that Coins card. It's too bad that, in a historical-based deck like this new one, the Italian suit name 'Denari'/French suit name 'Deniers' is translated by the Golden Dawn term 'Pentacles' rather than by the more traditional English translation for that suit in historical decks - i.e., 'Coins'.

lunakasha

Thank you Solandia!!!

Oh my heavens....these cards are GORGEOUS!!!! :D

I already knew I wanted them....now it is going to become another tarot-obsession!!!! :eek:

Does it ever end???? :p
(not that I am complaining....hehehe)

:) Luna

Gerbear

Beautiful deck!! Though it may be historically inaccurate - so what? There are plenty of historical decks out there and many faithful reproductions, for those who want them. I applaud the creators of this deck for making it beautiful, somewhat modern, and affordable.

Cerulean

Here's a sample

The minors of the D'Estensi restored deck are taken from the Schifanoia Palace fresco samples, seen from the Warburg image scans that I posted above. Each fresco is divided into three panels and only March through September is legible now. Giordano Berti, who wrote the notes for the artist Jo Dwarkin/Dworkin, chose the frescos as a lively and accurate example of art related to Duke Borso D'Este and of the circa 1470 period.

Using the three scans of the minors that Solandia posted, here's some identification notes:

The Ace of Wands detail is from the month of July in the Schifanioa Fresco panel--he is the man in the tree in the middle band, left hand side. In the picture, this is the first decan of July

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/t/tura/schifano/index.html

The Nine of Denari/Pentacles woman strumming the viola/lute is from the month of May, upper band detail to the right. She's the woman standing with others above all the children below her.

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/cossa/schifano/2april/index.html

The Queen of Wands might be a detail from the upper right band in the Allegory of August, on the top right of the upper band, to the right of the standing cupid...but it's to the left of the couple in the corner (which is the Abducation of Persphone/Six of Swords).

If you had my art book, you'd see that each historical fresco has a mix of different cards from different suits.

Unfortunately for my mixed understanding, there's not only the use of decanates...there is the mix of 'daily life' and 'allegorical myth' in the frescos, so I cannot clearly identify the astrological history significance with the card identification...

I tried to post the appropriate links: you can expand the image files and make them out by looking at each fresco as three tiers of images, except for August: in August, there are only two tiers/bands that survived.

I had to study my out-of-print 1954 book printed right after one of the 20th century restorations: I've found the title is available, but it is expensive and I think most people aren't the Ferrara fanatic that I am.

I was slightly disappointed Berti didn't include the pictures that showed a marriage supposedly of one of the D'Estensi 'princesses' or half-sister of Borso...still the gorgeous frescos seem to me to have been a beautiful contributor to no less than four tarot decks so far!

(Folchi's Citta Ferarra; the Commerative Tarocchi di Matteo Maria Boiardo; Golden Tarot (Chariot) and now D'Estensi Tarot)

Hope this isn't too rambling. I find it fascinating, but a puzzle.

Regards,

Cerulean Mari

Cerulean

On divinatory meanings...

Do the pips of this new deck use RWS divinatory meanings (or some other meanings)?

They do not seem like the Rider Waite Smith meanings to me, they seem to me as similar or the same as Lo Scarabeo's written meanings that I've read Mary Greer refer to as "Italian Cartomancy" or "Continental Tarot" in Tarot Reversals and Tarot for Yourself.

I've seen the keyword meanings from Tiberio Gonard in this deck and also both the Lo Scarabeo's Visconti Gold book and the Sylvania Alasia Egyptian book. Here's a sample:

Major Keywords

O. Fool-Strangeness
I. Magician-Will
II. High Priestess-Study
III Empress-Fertility
IV.Emporer-Stability
V.Heriophant-Inspiration
VI.Lovers-Choice
VII.Chariot-Victory
VIII.Justice-Levelheadedness
IX.Hermit-Prudence
X.Wheel-Alternation
XI Strength-Energy
XII-Handed Man-Sacrifice
XIII-Death-End
XIV-Temperance-Moderation
XV-Devil-Intuitiveness
XVI-Tower
XVII-Stars-Positive Omens
XVIII-Moon-Visions
XIX-Sun-Harmony
XX-Judgment-Renewal
XXI-World-Perfection

Note that the spread explanation suggested is a Zodiac spread and the keywords for the majors/minors are suggested to help guide the reader to look at a positive direction and inner peace in answering questions.

Emily

I ordered the Estensi tarot from Alida earlier on, I've only seen a few of the cards but they just about blew me away. I haven't checked out any of the links yet - I want to have the deck in my hands before I do this. I too am a fan of Lo Scarabeo, mainly because I know that their decks will fit my small hands but also because, unless this deck comes faulty lol, the quality of the card stock and printing is usually always the same.
I didn't realise I was a fan of the Renaissance until I had the Golden and after seeing the scans of the Estensi, I just wanted it.

I also ordered the Liber T at the same time - Decided to treat myself big time :D

Jeannette

North American Release

I just received word from the North American distributor on Monday that they anticipate receiving their supply around 15 July.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

felicityk

I just buckled down and preordered this and the Gilded Tarot from Tarot Garden. :D

Felicity