Do you Charge $$$???

Emeraldgirl

Forgot to add though if I was doing readings professionally I would charge. Afterall it is a professional service.

Red Emma

Charge or not to charge for readings

Speaking of 'not using your gifts for personal gain,' how about such gifted people as Harrison Ford, Julia Roberts, Johnny Depp. Should they also contribute their gifts for the good of humankind, expect no income?

Goddess bless.

sprite

yes i charge just started to really. i dont however charge my real real good friends. but as for the others i only charge 10 bucks, i figure that its not alot so they are more likely to come back for seconds more often, and its enough where if they dont listen then im not just wasting my energy. and because they did pay more likely to take it seriously. plus im still practing and i dont feel so bad if something doesnt go right or dont make sense, that they only paid me 10 bucks.

MeeWah

Charging for one's abilities or talents an expression of self-worth.

Fairawen

*lol* I feel all greedy now. See, I charge for all of the reasons previously mentioned... but I also charge for personal gain. I mean... my family (seven people) had a bit of a crisis Monday when we went to go eat out after a movie. The resturant was Burger King, and I felt horrible seeing my Mom's face when she said that she'd have to use this weeks gas money. At the price of gas today, this meant that we weren't going anywhere. My Mom had also wanted to buy some decent clothes so she wouldn't feel embaressed going to church. Just because we wanted to eat and see a movie, we were broke.

I think of tarot not only as a way to help others, an entertainment for both the querent and myself, not only a soul searching tool... but also the only alternate form of income my family has. I felt horrible that night at Burger KIng, and didn't even buy a soda because I felt too guilty. I was STARVING though (I hadn't eaten all day) so I had to get food. But... as soon as I start public reading, I'd be killing more then two birds with one stone.

I mean, gee! I can't go to Youth Group anymore because the gass costs too much, and we've gotta eat!

Hey, doing what I love and benefiting my family at the same time! Who knew?

So, as soon as I start reading publicly (as soon as I get my first real deck, this week) yes, I will be charging. $10 or twenty min, or possibly a bit more. Why? Because the querrent will respect me. Because they'll respect the reading. And because I need the money. :p

And, now I feel totally greedy...

~Fairawen~

sprite

hey i wouldnt feel guilty, your not taking advantage of someone, your not being dishonest or sneaky and your are helping them so why cant you have a little reward to. the gift wouldnt have been given to us if we werent supposed to use it. ive read for years and only just now started charging i mean i felt ready i guess. and it does take energy and i dont know about you but i get mad when people dont pay attention or think its a joke and if they pay they might think differently, they might not listen but they may just listen. thats how i feel

Sulis

Fairawen said:
So, as soon as I start reading publicly (as soon as I get my first real deck, this week) yes, I will be charging. $10 or twenty min, or possibly a bit more. Why? Because the querrent will respect me. Because they'll respect the reading. And because I need the money.

I agree that we should charge for our services - no problem with that.
Fairawen just last week you were saying that your parents disapproved of your use of tarot and you were also saying that you are a complete tarot novice.

I think if I was paying someone to give me a reading I wouldn't want them to be a beginner, I'd want them to have done numerous free readings and become very experienced with the cards and with people before they expected me to hand over any money.

Sulis

Fairawen

Sulis, compared to you guys, who have been doing tarot for some odd ten years and up, I haven't been doing tarot very long. Two years last month. However, I have learned alot, memorized the cards (though I am definetly going to go through my first deck and study each one carefully, I'm excited about meditating on them as well) and I did quite a few free reading her on the Reading Exchange, though I know it's much different when doing readings face to face. Unfortunatly, I have no one to practice on here where I live.

To answer your question, I am not a COMPLETE tarot novice. But compared to you guys who have about a hundered decks and have been studying tarot forever, I'm new. But I have to be able to go out and practice on real people sometime. I'd do that on friends, but nobody I know accepts tarot (or at least has ever heard of tarot... I know a few people that might not go haywire...).

However, I do see your point. I should probably wait until I go into studying and doing all of the lessons that I've signed up for an ect. Thank you for making me aware of that, and sorry for putting the thread of balance. :p

I'll charge money, when I'm ready. (Is that putting my message back on subject? :p)

~Fairawen~

Sulis

Hi Fairawen,

I've only been reading tarot for 3 or 4 years myself; not much longer than you. I consider myself to be a beginner (probably will for a good few years to come too :))

I misunderstood you - from earlier posts I seem to have got the impression that you'd just begun your study of tarot.
I think you'll know when you're ready to charge for your services - I'm just starting to think about doing just that. I just need to build up my confidence first I think - with me that's my biggest hurdle.

Love

Sulis xx

Fairawen

Wow. Moderator and only been doing for three-four years. You must be on here alot. :p

Oh nononono. Two years. I'm pretty confident about doing tarot for other people, but, as I said, I definetly think I want to study the cards and get each meaning perfectly fixed into my head before I go out. The rest should come naturally, because I give people advice aaaaaaall the time. Tarot is just like doing it professionally and for money. :p

I believe it was tarotbear... or maybe it was Umbrae :)P) that said reading in public isn't something you just do because you want to have fun. These are peoples lives your handling. Surprisingly, what he said didn't scare me so much. It actually set things into perspective. :) So, mentally I'm ready. Emotionally, I'm ready. Physically... well, I'll work on that for a little longer, then I'll head out. :p

Funny though, it seems like only yesterday I was making my first deck... maybe that's why it seems to from my posts. :p I feel very in awe of alot of these folks who have been doing tarot for what seems like forever to a sixteen year old. :)

~Fairawen~