Intensive Deck Study Reboot!

strings of life

OctoberGwen said:
Hahaha....yes, I really should give it a chance, I've only just done the exercise where you describe your card, for pete's sake! :laugh:

It'll be fun to see how it goes. And I can certainly journal card by card and so forth in any way I feel like it in addition.

pssst: I'm steering well clear of Trades, also. No more buying for me, for now! It's quite liberating. ;)
I edited my post to reflect "Pre-coffee". Funny I made that mistake as I eat lunch at my desk. :| I am going to go outside for a bit though to take a walk.

All of the decks on my wish list are either hard-to-find or not yet published. My decks at home and my wallet will forgive me :).

zan_chan

Haha "Reason for editing: I hate everything before coffee"

Seems fair enough to me ;)

I've gone through 21 Ways before and I'd say at least half of them are fairly useful. A few are less useful, and a few are ridiculous. But nothing says you have to do them all.

Remember the first rule of IDS: Have fun! :joke:

strings of life

zan_chan said:
Haha "Reason for editing: I hate everything before coffee"

Seems fair enough to me ;)
Posting on iPhone, pre-coffee, at 6:00 a.m. is even worse! I shouldn't be allowed to communicate with anyone in that state.

zan_chan said:
I've gone through 21 Ways before and I'd say at least half of them are fairly useful. A few are less useful, and a few are ridiculous. But nothing says you have to do them all.
My sentiments exactly. I'm more of a fluid type and find that I don't really need a writing prompt to help me connect with a deck.

zan_chan said:
Remember the first rule of IDS: Have fun! :joke:
I'll refrain from using any Chuck Palahniuk references ;).

zan_chan

aurarcana said:
I'll refrain from using any Chuck Palahniuk references ;).

Just promise me that whatever you do, you won't talk about IDS. I know its tempting, but...

OctoberGwen

zan_chan said:
Just promise me that whatever you do, you won't talk about IDS. I know its tempting, but...

Do you mean pre-coffee? Or pre-Palahniuk? And am I the only person on earth who loathes his writing?

Anyway, I think I'm going to pick and choose which 21 Ways exercises to do. That's a GREAT idea. Choose the one I want, pick a random card. Bingo.

Nina, are you reading this?

Flaxen

OK, I've decided my plan of attack with the Thoth.

For the first month, I'm going to concentrate on 1 card draws (seen a couple of threads in Daily Draws which could be revived), 2nd month will be 2 cards and December will be 3 card draws. I'm building myself up gradually to using elemental dignities which is the bit which has always flummoxed me in the past.

Book of Thoth and Duquette are on standby. :)

zan_chan

Gotcha on the list, Flaxen :thumbsup:

Alec just started a Thoth IDS as well, so perhaps you two will be able to share thoughts and study methods here in the IDS thread, or even start a Thoth study thread like Le Fanu and Herzog are doing with their TdMs...

Nerys

zan_chan said:

Definitely agreed! I've gone through some that didn't add much to the way I saw the card. My favourite so far has been the one where you make up a fairytale type story to explain what's happening on the card. It was a lot of fun, especially with a slightly surreal deck like the Deviant Moon.

(thanks for the add to the list and the welcome post, too, by the way!)

strings of life

zan_chan said:
Ha! I won't continue. Now I see where the Trade Train sig comes from too!

OctoberGwen said:
Do you mean pre-coffee? Or pre-Palahniuk? And am I the only person on earth who loathes his writing?
Love Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis and Irvine Welsh and...

That's another thread. I can see why you may not though. Back on topic ;).

OctoberGwen said:
Anyway, I think I'm going to pick and choose which 21 Ways exercises to do. That's a GREAT idea. Choose the one I want, pick a random card. Bingo.
I should be watching the Yankees, but I'm so tired. I did take my 21 Ways book off of the shelf and will take it to bed soon. Pages, beware of my highlighter.

I'm also posting a reading on my blog tomorrow night on the eve of the New Moon. Here's the spread from Eowyn. I wrote 5 blog entries this year, so it will be relieving to open up the gates again creatively.

alec

Flaxen said:
OK, I've decided my plan of attack with the Thoth...

Book of Thoth and Duquette are on standby.

Hi Flaxen, so glad to hear that you are working with Thoth for your IDS!

If you have interest, it would be fun to share observations and compare notes as we go forward.

So far I'm on day 6 of doing one card daily draws. In the morning I take a good look at the card to register feel, impressions, whatever details pop out etc. Then I read DuQuette. (Haven't started with Book of Thoth yet, though might when I feel more energetic). I keep the physical card with me during the day in a clear window/pouch attached to the front of my daily task notebook (see photo). This helps to keep the card in mind as the day gets going. Haven't heard of anyone else doing this, but recommend it if it sounds appealing.

Alec

Attachments

• Notebook-with-daily-tarot-card.JPG
    Notebook-with-daily-tarot-card.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 92