Tarot Theory and Practice by Ly de Angeles

lisaxtiffany

I LOVE Ly De Angeles!
I read her Witchcraft: Theory and Practice and it gave me so much insight on myself as well as when I finished reading it, I was a lot more intuitive. I didn't know she had a Tarot book! I'm going to my bookstore tomorrow to find it.

Shelma_Star

Just finished this book. While she didn't say anything that made me raise an eyebrow and say "this woman is out of her mind," she does have some "rather unconventional ideas" as Grizabella so nicely put it. Like on page 172 where she says, "Never shuffle them yourself! Shuffling them at any stage is likely to contaminate the cards with your own future experiences." in reference to reading for others. Huh?

And the book is written too much from the "this is the only right way to do things" perspective instead of the "this is what works for me" perspective.

I thought that her relating the Majors to both the macrocosm (earth's history) and microcosm (individual's life) was an interesting idea, although in both cases I thought some of her associations were quite a reach.

I thought that some of her card meanings were interesting (in the sense of "now that you say that, I can see it") while others were just off the wall. This is where a "these interpretations work for me, your mileage may vary" disclaimer would've been useful instead of saying, "You do need to learn the following, though, and very well." (page 89).

Eight spreads for one client session? :bugeyed: Uh.... No. And she doesn't do a good job of explaining how some of those spreads are laid out. On page 177, she says, "Sometimes these three spreads are so awesome in their information and definition that I wish I didn't have to go further...." Since that comment was made in the Celtic Cross (Present, Future, Past) spread, I thought she meant laying out a Present Celtic Cross, a Past one and a Future one. This is buoyed by the third paragraph on page 178 where she says, "You begin with the pack that represents the PRESENT because you want to see what is of immediate influence. You will do the same with the pack representing the FUTURE and, lastly, the pack representing the PAST." But in her Example readings, she only lays out a Present Celtic Cross. Which is it?

I was also a little bothered by the fact that in some of her case histories, she didn't remember the exact cards that had been laid out, so she approximated with cards that gave her the same interpretation.

Now that I've read the whole book, Grizabella's original point is consistent with what the author says throughout the rest of the book with one tiny exception - it wasn't about people who idly lay out spreads, but those who keep laying out spreads until they get an answer they like. Just because the reader doesn't like the answer of the spread they've laid out doesn't mean that what is shown in the spread won't come to pass. (The book is definitely written from the point of predictive reading and not reading for insight.)

All in all, not a bad book. It has some highlights, but much of it doesn't resonate, so I am quite content to keep what resonates and reject what doesn't.

Rodney

I'm only just reading de Angeles book and I have the same questions on how exactly she chooses her cards and how she lays the spread. Does she pick from all stacks? Does she take the cards in order? Does she choose at random? Any new information on this, anyone?

rwcarter

I actually haven't given it much more thought in the last 2.5 years since I read the book, but I'm guessing what happened is that she wrote about the whole process with past, present and future spreads, but because of space constraints, the past and future parts were deleted. But nobody went back and corrected the text that then didn't make sense because of the deletions.

Jes

for discussion

I have just finished this book and am still digesting. I think the theory side is interesting and I will have to ponder it (and reread some of it)

I like a lot of the card clusters she describes in the appendix and plan to work with some of these just to see how Ly see's what she sees. Im not decided on the whole dont read for yourself and people you know sentiment. I understand the logic in it however i have always read for myself and believe in my 17 years of reading I have done ok lol

This is a very different veiw to the conventional tarot types of books I have read. I love that as it makes me think more.

Ly does state in the beginning that this book does not have all meanings and to trust your intuition but I agree it is written with a dominate forcefullness. I supoose it shows how passionate Ly is with her methods and her results speak for themselves. I have had a reading from one of her two successful students and it was very interesting. The details blew me away.

I think this is a great example of material that individuals can take the aspects they like and work with it, and discard the aspects they dont. Tarot is afterall a personal journey.