Shapeshifter - Initiation (The Fool)

bec

I will start our shapeshifter tour with Initiation - The Fool.

What I see in the card:

A man emerging from the sea, shapeshifting from or to a green dragon. Dragons for me are strong both physically and mentally, they are wise and hold ancient wisdom. They have a big heart of gold and a patience unnatural to this great fierce animal.

Green I associate with heart and hope.

I see dragonflies and butterflies which are telling about transformation, rebirth and incarnation.

The initiative is holding an apple in one hand and a sharp lighted wand in the other. These are his tools, his wisdom, desires and unknown yet potential abilities.

Seagulls is seen in almost every card in shapie, a messanger from God they call them in the book. What I see in them, is the urge for always looking for a higher understanding in how and what we do in life - know that what ever we get from others, good or bad there is a reason and a purpose for it to be that way.

Background in the picture is glowing like gold, and what it really is, is hard solid rocks, could be a break of dawn behind them.

What I feel the card is telling me:

As the young fool the initiation will start from the very root of life. Along the way we will learn how to shapeshift and emerge, understand the need for death and rebirth. No matter what we experience good or bad, that experience will give us knowlegde and wisdom in how to handle life and simular situations in the future. We will need to take care of our bodies, aswell as our mind and spirit. It is a tranquility.

As the sea represents life and emotions, our journey start by taking our first breath and follow our heart and desire.

comments?

WolfSpirit

hi bec thanks for giving the kick-off ;)

Often the zero-card is called the Fool, in the ss it's called initiation:
indeed the initiate does not seem to put himself in physical danger, there is no abyss to fall into and even if there was one, those dragon wings would save him.
This tells me: you'll be ok if you rely on your inner dragon for strength and wisdom, noone will keep you from your plans (ever see someone stop a dragon ?)

I see a lot of movement in the card, and energy and light: the heat from the sun, the burning wand in the initiate's hand that will be his tool. There's lots of sources you can get energy from but you will have to use that energy in your turn not let it drain away.

The apple in his other hand to me symbolizes the earth element, as there is also water, lots of fire and air (dragon wings) on this card. However, I also know apples were often used in folk magick so i just had a peak in the book if they had anything to say on this: the apple is also a symbol of rebirth and transformation, like the dragonfly and butterfly who transform from nymph to their winged form.

So far my view on this card.

bec

>indeed the initiate does not seem to put himself in physical danger, there is no abyss to fall into and even if there was one, those dragon wings would save him.
<ws

Yes I like that one, as one of the main Q´s in the fool is "what happens when he reach the cliff?" and who really knows right.

Initiation is not falling or being foolish in anyway, he is recently born and emerging up from the sea (peeked in the book - sea=life), he will depart the water when ever he is ready, as you said, the wings will carry him, and so they will when he are ready.

Butterflies and dragonflies are transformation and rebirt, maybe they could have made cocoons in the picture instead, I would find that more appropiate for the initiation.

Anyway, Initiation is being born, coming out of woom (sea), and when he is ready he will fly away on his strong dragon wings.

(when we feel done with the initiation, I would like a story for the card, to put on the shapie pages I have jsut started. Whether it should be writing it or some one else would like to use their writer skills (of which I have none) I dont know yet, any one up for it, I will be happy to step backwards :p )

Shapeshifter

hey everyone

I seem to have a different meaning from you guys a bit....

I think that The Fool in shapeshifter means a new start, he has just been able to forget the physical side, ie he has just been able to put down the physical(the shore on fire) and therefore he can have a free mind. THis would enable him to have new ideas, ideas that are different and these ideas would bring him possibilites, no one would know whether the result is good or bad, therefore its a time to decide whether you want to take a chance or not

the thing to remember that success(the dragon) would always be on ur side as long as your mind (the rod) is held with confidence and the initiate is clear what he/she is doing

hope u guys get what i mean and tell me my mistakes ^^

paradoxx

The apple is a recurring symbol throughout the deck, as is the seagull, as mentioned, almost appears in every card. The energy of the wand he holds is symbolic of "as above, so below". The Butterfly and the Dragonfly are symbols of active change.

bec

what joy it is to see that this one have been picked up again :)

Shapeshifter> (such an appropiate nick ;) )
Yes I agree that the initiation is about a new beginning. though I dont think the card should be limited to either pshycic or physic, cause initiation is a unit of all.

Comparing with the traditional Fool card the beginning of a new circle is there. As I wrote earlier I would think the dragonflies would be more appropiate as cocoons, cause the stage of transformition they hold in the initiation card is actually the final stage - a full dragon fly.

Where shapie rocks my world so to speak also compared to the tradit. Fool, is that he actually raise from the "abyss" where the Fool is either falling or not, depending on what we see further on.

Am I rambling?

This initiate is no fool, he is aware and full of energy, where of the Fool is what? some ignorant fool who does not watch where he is going? ( I know this is very black/whitish, just to show where I feel shapie hits it and ex. RW dont)

Kaz

not much related to the topic, but where are these cards online for view? or can the scan be added to posts, for the ones not having the deck.....

paradoxx

bec said:

Am I rambling?

This initiate is no fool, he is aware and full of energy, where of the Fool is what? some ignorant fool who does not watch where he is going? ( I know this is very black/whitish, just to show where I feel shapie hits it and ex. RW dont)

no, your not rambling.

looking at the card, the gold and green contrast is striking now that i concentrate on it.
the green resembles earthy energies promoting balance, calmness, fertility and new expierences.
the gold is of mental clarity and intelligence, it also indicates mental strength.
the ocean below is the pool of emotinal energies that the initiate must rise above.
the initiate wears wears pure white, forming innocence and balacne between all the various colors and energies that are present uner the light of the golden sun.
small amounts of red are present in the apple, the inside of the dragons mouth, and teh roses that form into bubbles and swirl with th ewater to create a purrple trail behind the butterfly, all symbilizing the psychic metomorphisis that the initiates must go through.

yukinkoicy

What I see when I look at this card is a merging of consciousness - of body and soul. To me the Fool (or, Initiation) represents a blending of the four elements and the beginning of a journey into a higher state of consciousness and acceptance of the world around oneself.

The seagulls seem to represent communication and communion with the Higher Powers, and for me, the Dragonfly and Butterfly not only represent transformation, but also the start of a journey leading to awareness. The Dragon represents protection and wisdom, lifting the Initiate (the Fool) up from where he has fallen, showing him that there is life in rebirth and second chances. It is a card of inspiration and hope, knowledge that if you have faith all will be well.

This may sound odd, but I believe the Fool walks off the cliff on purpose - not as a suicidal gesture as some would think, but as a sign of the death of an old life and rebirth and renewal into a new, deeper and more meaningful one. Knowingly taking the plunge in discarding old ideals and beliefs and opening your mind, body, and spirit to new ones. Accepting that in order for change to happen you must put effort into it, and that sometimes you must go through bad experiences in order to get to better times.

hopena

I just love the dragon in this card - that beautiful Spring green in its colouring, and the joyous look on its face... :)

The look on the young man's face, is that of someone who knows that he just has to follow his heart.