Albano

BodhiSeed

All these years I've used and loved the Albano, I never realized the rainbow was added in on Temperance - thanks LRichard for that bit of information!

rif

jackdaw* said:
Goodnight, Mr. Albano, wherever you are!

Was it a Mister? Or a Ms?

I swear I read somewhere online that Frankie was a female... maybe at Holly's RWS page?

This is my favorite version of the original RWS, probably because it was my first deck. I love the colors!

And I'm jealous of those of you who are fortunate enough to own the pocket sized version.

jackdaw*

rif said:
Was it a Mister? Or a Ms?
Jeez, now I don't know ... I guess I had just assumed he was a he ...

brightcrazystar

Albano has some problems with hue and tone, but not near as many as some decks that are digitally made and then physically printed.

After deleting the essay I just wrote, I instead will say in addition to Paul Foster Case, consider this pdf as a good guide. It is directly based off of Felkin's Adept Papers, which were authentic, and he took with him after he schismed with A.E. Waite.

http://goldendawnstudyhall.synthasite.com/resources/Coloring the Classic Golden Dawn Tarot.pdf

Very good guide. Use Windsor Newton watercolors for authenticity.
Nuff Said.

BTW: The one thing from my essay I will add. Thank you, Mary K. Greer, for your excellent treatment of S.'.H.'. Moina Macgregor Mathers in your book, which I still recommend. I fight for recognition of women and minorites in Western Magick all the time in my lectures, and I hope despite generally being a pale skinned blue eyed male, I do my part for that good fight...

Richard

That's a great link. The Regardie-Wang-Mathers deck seems to have fairly accurate color, but Wang is a horrible artist.

Richard

Now I'm seriously wondering whether Frankie was a he or a she, not that it really matters.

rif

http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/Albano.html

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I swear I read somewhere that Frankie might have been a woman.

No, it has no bearing on the deck. I have always curious to learn more about the mysterious Frankie Albano, simply by virtue of association to this tarot deck -- and the fact that his identity is so mysterious.

Note also the Albano tarot wheel on the above page, if you've never seen it before.

Richard

My first full size Albano deck came today. It was "Prindet in Italy" [sic]. The colors are fairly good, but they used a little too much contrast in the printing, compared to my 1958 mini Albano. The darker tones are sometimes a little too dark, which tends to obscure some of the details. Otherwise, I like it very much. After messing with it for awhile, all my other decks begin to look anemic in comparison.

brightcrazystar

How is the bordering? I wish I could find one that looks less like a coloring book when it comes to the line work. I love my RWS decks, but some of the cards are meant to have no visible barrier between the colors so they "flash". Point in case, the Fortune card, the Blue is supposed to hug the orange so the card glows.

I have seen an privately made expert rendition of the RWS Major Arcanum with no borders and color correction to Windsor Newton Book T Standards, and it was SOOO much more like what the cards are supposed to portray. You tranced just looking at it. He had an artist do directed sketches (including stuff his own face on the Magician, Hanged Man, Emperor, and Hierophant, and aged portrayal for the Hermit). The dog on the Fool was his dog. It was awesome.

He had them photographed and got digital pics, flipped them digitally where they need to be according to him, bleached out the lines, printed them on vellum card stock, colored em by the ghost lines of the printing, and doctored and sealed with gesso the painted photographs of the sketches. Cost ALOT of money.

Richard

brightcrazystar said:
How is the bordering? I wish I could find one that looks less like a coloring book when it comes to the line work. I love my RWS decks, but some of the cards are meant to have no visible barrier between the colors so they "flash". Point in case, the Fortune card, the Blue is supposed to hug the orange so the card glows.....
There are thick black lines between the colors, and it attenuates the flashing between the complementary colors of, for example, the blue and orange of the Wheel, and the Red and Green of the Pentacles. Even so, it is still quite brilliant.