Pamela Colman Smith

Richard

gregory said:
.....(You do know I also have, and prefer, Canadian nationality, though.....
This is getting off topic, but I'll try to slip this one in past the Moderator. I was in Toronto a few years ago, and it was absolutely delightful compared to most of the dense population cesspools here in the States.

I was there for a British Brass Band competition. I was the solo tenor horn player in a very good band, but our flugelhorn player snoozed off and missed an entrance during our contest performance and, to make a long story short, caused us to come in last place. :(

Debra

I've been looking up different types of common graves in Britain. This site has different categories: http://beckettstreetcemetery.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=1

There's a scandal in Britain over infants poorly buried. Comes up if you google "pauper's grave."

Here's what the site says about 19th century private graves.

PRIVATE GRAVE
A plot of ground purchased by an person who then had the burial rights to the grave dug in it, confirmed by a parchment certificate or 'grave paper', a duplicate of which was kept by the Burial Grounds Committee. Separate fees would be paid for the plot, for the making of the grave (sometimes as a brick-lined vault), for each burial in it, and for the right to erect a headstone or other monument. Apparently there was no time limit on the right of the owner or his family to the grave; they could expect to lie there for all time. Some graves were well cared for, usually by the relatives of those buried in them. Other families paid a sum of £10 or so to ensure that the cemetery authority would tend the grave for evermore; this was called a 'perpetuity', but these agreements are now sadly no longer honoured.

LRichard said:
I was the solo tenor horn player in a very good band, but our flugelhorn player snoozed off and missed an entrance during our contest performance and, to make a long story short, caused us to come in last place. :(

This is a once-in-a-lifetime sentence and I'm glad I lived to see it.

gregory

Debra said:
I've been looking up different types of common graves in Britain. This site has different categories: http://beckettstreetcemetery.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=1

There's a scandal in Britain over infants poorly buried. Comes up if you google "pauper's grave."
Yes - pauper's graves were shocking. Also in other countries - Mozart ended up in one they say - though as there is a grave with his name on now, in Vienna, I am not sure if he was dug up and moved, or if that was an urban myth.
Here's what the site says about 19th century private graves.
If she was buried in a churchyard, she will have been OK on that count - but probably dug over a few times. I well recall our local gravedigger (my father was a vicar) remarking, one frustrated Saturday, that he was "right fed up, digging a grave in here is like digging in a bloody chicken pie". Unmarked graves did get "recycled ". Still do.

debra said:
This is a once-in-a-lifetime sentence and I'm glad I lived to see it.
Yes indeed ! :thumbsup:

Cerulean

You could pick a day we all read from her decks

on a birth or memorial day...that would be alive.

Or how about a reading fot the project you envision amd what your part would be? We could individually do that.

I still am gathering written accounts of her as an artist from free period sources, for instance, that people can use to form their tributes. I am using Roppo`s website as a guide. I am very grateful he allowed his items to be used in the U.S. Games set.

greatdane

Wow

Lovely ideas, Cerulean!

OK, I get it re the pauper's graves, but oh wow...

GD