RWS Knight sword's wood pigeon?

Cara Jackson

a ROSE IS A ROSE IS A ROSE IS A ROSE. . . .

Yeah, thanks for input, will look up images of birds and then discard or use as appropriate, all good stuff guys and gals! But, yeah, as I say when I do healing, 'A rose, is a rose, is a rose, is a rose' - all healing is the same, its all just energy , love and light, doesnt matter the 'type', just as I guess these bird specifications are not necessary to know x x Cara

Richard

Cara Jackson said:
Yeah, thanks for input, will look up images of birds and then discard or use as appropriate, all good stuff guys and gals! But, yeah, as I say when I do healing, 'A rose, is a rose, is a rose, is a rose' - all healing is the same, its all just energy , love and light, doesnt matter the 'type', just as I guess these bird specifications are not necessary to know x x Cara
That's a good way to look at it, Cara. That may be why the RWS deck is so ambiguous. I think that to some extent the ambiguities are intentional.

caridwen

I have been giving this some thought and stand by the Cardinal. It makes a lot of sense astrologically in association with this Knight.

The fact that it is not picture perfect is immaterial.

I also disagree with the ambiguous nature of the symbols and animals on the cards otherwise what's the point. Why not just make 78 Rorschach inkblots and be done with it.

Having done more research into the cardinal the reason Roman Catholic Cardinal's vestments are red is because they should be willing to die for their faith.

The cardinal is an American bird (both North and South) but that doesn't mean Waite wouldn't have heard of it or seen a picture of it. The Victorians were avid collectors and classifiers.

If we look at the Knight of Swords, the fact that RC Cardinals are expected to willingly sacrifice themselves or martyr themselves for their faith. The nature of cardinal signs in astrology and the symbology of the cardinal as "keeper of the faith" makes sense.

Richard

Just a guess.... Maybe some of the ambiguities are intentional blinds. Waite wanted the deck to be useful to GD initiates, but at the same time he was loathe to break his oaths of secrecy.

Cara Jackson

Good point Caridwen, yep, makes sense. Will include Cardinal in my personal write ups. many thanks - you certainly are passionate about what you say - tee-hee! gotta go, 24 degrees outside and climbing, gotta dash to the bank with baby x Cara

Richard

caridwen said:
.....The cardinal is an American bird (both North and South) but that doesn't mean Waite wouldn't have heard of it or seen a picture of it.....
Waite was probably around seven when he moved to England with his mother and sister, so he no doubt saw American cardinals as a child.