Looking for help with the '71 RWS

winterbagel

Hi folks, I'm a newb to the forum, joined up after spending a lot of hours narrowing down info online and coming to the conclusion you guys seem to have the broadest collective knowledge (and the most accurate!) of RWS decks.

I have what I believe is a deck printed somewhere between '71 and '74 but as the LWB is no longer with it I am going strictly by the fact that the cards do not have the copyright printed on them, and the US Games post code on the box is NY 10016. Since there were 2 separate addresses for the same post code, there was likely separate printing years connected to each - which I'm guessing were printed in the booklets issued with the decks - alas, I've no book!

I'm a bit OCD about details and thought it may be possible to narrow the specific year further by the box since there are slight differences in their printing as well over the years. I've gathered from info on this forum that a correction to the word Forward's spelling was made, as well as changed/added text, isbn no.s, barcodes etc..

My question is - does anyone know when the line "COPYRIGHT ©1971 U.S. Games Systems Inc. NY 10016" was printed on, and then subsequently removed from the back of the box bottoms?

I have seen backs with the exact same text as the pre-1975 boxes, save for that specific last line. After '75 it is no longer printed on any (that I've seen so far). I was hoping a few folks with intact sets could compare their LWB dates to whether or not that line appears on their box backs to see if there is a time-frame associated with it =)

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded, just trying to be clear lol!

winterbagel

Thank you Karen, but I actually found this site because I initially started my search reading at the site link you provided =)

I absolutely appreciate your taking the time to offer the suggestion though - I had pretty much given up on anyone even answering me over here, wrong season to look for assistance obviously lol!

Happy New Year!

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, winterbagel!

I think the lack of reply to your thread is because there are no definitive answers short of asking USGames. The most authoritative info on the subject that I've seen can be found in the RWS Deck Post-1970 Publishing History thread started by Mary Greer.

gregory

As I recall someone did ask USG once and got no answer.

One COULD try Stuart Kaplan directly....

Croatoan

I am in a similar boat.

I, (also new here) am in a similar boat. I have a deck that says © 1971 by US Game Systems on the inside first page to the instruction booklet, but the Front page, and one end of the box list Samuel Weiser, INC., instead of US Game Systems. The box end says Made in Switzerland Expressly For Samuel Weiser, INC. New York, N.Y. 10003 and the front of the instruction booklet says Samuel Weiser, INC. 734 Broadway, New York, N.Y. 10003. There are no copyrights on the cards. I would like to find out more about this deck, and my searches for information online have not been very fruitful. Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

As for the original thread post, and given the information I've shared here about the deck I have, I am equally unsure and confused about all this copyright stuff and when this and that were changed.

Abrac

Hi Croatoan. I also have the Weiser edition and it's quite nice. I don't think they were distributed for very long, until about '75 from what others have said. Weiser had a distribution deal with US Games for a time. They used the US Games booklet but it carried the Weiser name on the front, and "Weiser" was printed on the box instead of US Games.

I did a search for all posts in this forum with the word "Weiser" in them and this is what I found. There might be something more there.

http://tarotforum.net/search.php?searchid=4562045

Whiskers

I'm wanting to know the same....

I didn't realize their were 2 addresses.....thank you for that. I have 3 RWS but 2 are sealed BUT I have the booklets for all 3. I noticed on one of the booklets that has 468 Park Avenue address if you open to the first page at the bottom it doesn't have "Printed in the United States of America." 2 of my decks do not have a copyright on the deck itself.

p.s. I'm new to the group