Fairytale Tarot (Magic Realist Press) - The Strength

olivia1

* If I did this wrong, please stop me. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to strictly follow the card's meaning or if I was free to make up my own. I hope others will contribute, to help broaden my knowledge of this card :)

Also, I wanted to note that I totally threw out the RWS meaning for this card When I read with this deck, I do not use the RWS meanings.

My take on strength:

I read the story for this and it seems that the story centrally focuses on Beauty. However, when I read this card, I feel that the main character in it is really the Beast. To me, he is the strongest person in the story. Despite his physical appearance as a beast, he is a real kind soul.

Despite the fact that Beauty's father is a complete stranger, who just burst in to his home, he made him feel like a welcomed guest. He provided the traveler with a warm place to rest and even prepared food for him for when he wakes up. The Beast did all of this solely out of the goodness of his heart and asked for nothing in return (not even recognition; he stayed hidden the whole time).

The only time the Beast showed himself was when Beauty's father tried to take one of is roses. He was angry because, after all he has already given this man, the man still felt the need to keep taking. The Beast felt robbed. Unfortunately, the Beast did not realize that Beauty's father really did not mean any harm. He was not trying to steal: he was simply trying to fulfill his youngest daughter's wish. He had no idea that taking a single rose (amongst a rose bush full of roses) would offend the owner of the mansion.

The Beast is a "people pleaser." We all know them. They give, give, and give, asking nothing in return. We are so used to taking that we kind of take for granted their giving nature. So, we completely forget ourselves and actually start becoming selfish without realizing it. Some of us, may even start to take things without asking, simply thinking, "its no big deal, this person will not mind."

This part in the story represents when the people pleasers finally decide that they have had enough. Eventually, when a person just keeps giving, they reach a point where they feel as if they are being taken advantage of, as if they are being robbed, and they start to resent being such a giver. They react by either turning angry or trying to "even the field" by asking for something back in return (which is what happens when the Beast find Beauty's father taking one of the roses without asking).

In the story Beauty has a dream that a prince is telling her not to trust appearances.To me, this dream again represents how people pleasers appear to others and how they really feel inside. On the surface, they may seem ok with constantly giving and getting very little in return..but deep down, they are not completely happy.

But of course, they keep this to themselves and as a result, people start to take advantage of them. People forget, that deep down, these people have feelings too. This is very evident in the story when Beauty's family actually has the nerve to try to convince Beauty to leave the Beast, even after all the Beast has done for her family.

However, Beauty realizes that it would be wrong to just not return. After all, she is grateful for all he has done so much for her. So she returns, but upon finding him dying on the ground of a broken heart (as a result of his perceived betrayal), she realizes just how much the Beast means to her because of the kindness he has shown her.

As a result, she finally agrees to marry him, despite how he looks. So to me, this card is about when people finally take notice of how much that person has been giving to them and learns to appreciate the beauty in that person.

Central Meaning of this card: emotional/mental strength. Being selfless and being the bigger person even when it is hard to (where emotional/mental strength comes in).

PS. Of course, another way to look at this is that Beauty is also going above and beyond. Whereas anyone else in her position would have probably either
A. refused to have been given to the Beast in the first place

or

B. not have returned to the Beast

Beauty showed character by agreeing to be given to the Beast and by keeping her promise to return to him. Someone who was weaker would have probably refused to go live with the Beast (her other sisters, after all refused) or B, would have ran away at the first opportunity. Therefore, this card could also symbolize a situation where someone is faced with something very trying /emotionally upsetting/ emotionally draining but rather than blowing up or giving up, they deal with the situation with grace.

Because where others would only see the negatives and reasons to give up on the situation, this person could see the hidden beauty or positives in it. That is reason enough for them not to walk away. This card reminds me a lot of The Diary of Ann Frank. At the end, of the diary, Ann talks about mankind and how even though she has been the victim of so much evil and hate, she still believes that all people are inherently good deep down inside. And that's why she will not stop believing in the goodness of people, despite everything.

ETA: I tried to edit the title to read as "Fairytale Tarot- Strength" but it wont let me. Sorry.

F.M. Tarot

olivia1 said:
Also, I wanted to note that I totally threw out the RWS meaning for this card When I read with this deck, I do not use the RWS meanings.

I'm curious, if you do not use the RWS meanings what system are you using with the deck? Suit, keywords, elements or ?

olivia1

olivia1 said:
In the story Beauty has a dream that a prince is telling her not to trust appearances.To me, this card represents those lovable people who are almost kind to a fault. As a result, people start to take advantage of them. People forget, that deep down, these people have feelings too. Remember, how in the end, Beauty's family actually tries to convince her not to return to the Beast (despite all he has done for them)?

I realize this does not make any sense so I reworded and clarified it more.

F.M. Tarot said:
I'm curious, if you do not use the RWS meanings what system are you using with the deck? Suit, keywords, elements or ?

I read the fairy tales and I also read Karen's take on them but then I pretty much just much focus on key parts that stand out to me...even if they are not the same parts that stand out to the creators. Then from there, I apply it to the card. Like with this card, my first take on it is so completely different from how I think the card was probably meant to be read.

Master_Margarita

The image and story on this card are an interesting twist to the usual RWS-based Strength card. Usually, the lion is chained, or otherwise held by force.

Beauty here "restrains" her lion with but a gentle touch, reminding us that the greatest possible force is not always called for.

:heart: M_M~