Cards meaning with different spreads and sitters

RAphrodite

Hello everyone,

Sometimes when doing readings for myself or other people, I have noticed I use different meanings for the cards. And sometimes these meanings also change when doing different spreads. I keep a regular log, so in terms of 'predictiveness', these have been validated (as much as you can validate card readings ;):rolleyes:)

So I always use Fox as the card for work (and deception/shrewdness depending what card it come up in combination with).
Moon, I usually read as creative potential in work.

Moon as an example: So, if its a three cards spread, and I'm doing a reading for my life, I always read it as instability. This can be work, love life, family etc

When doing readings for other people, its more of a positive card. I don't read it as instability.

However, in a GT, I usually take the positive connotations of moon (creativity regarding work).

To me (like anyone else), Lenormand is a language. The cards speak to you in the language you understand. I'm wondering if I have complicated the language for myself. Does anyone have somewhat similar experiences?

Thanks

RAphrodite

I got a good answer from YouTuber hexeclaire, you and the cards are developing a language. Different caveats for this language work for me

Barleywine

One thing I learned right at the beginning is that you really only need a small number of keywords for each card (I usually have a main meaning and a couple of alternates). My experience is that you don't need a vast vocabulary of alternative interpretations the way you often do in tarot, since there are fewer layers. "What you see" is usually "what you get." The "language" emerges in the combinations, and can change subtly with different pairs and sequences of cards. Although it looks like a "plug-in" system (what I like to call "Lego-block" construction) it really isn't. It can be "drier" (as in more distilled) than tarot, but for me that's part of its appeal.

Nemia

Thinking about it, I find that actually the basic meaning of a Lenormand card is quite fixed and I agree, one doesn't need many keywords. But it's important to keep in mind that each card can be applied to different aspects of life: it can function as noun, adjective, as description of a person, health aspects, some cards imply time, numbers etc.

And that reminds me a bit of the Hebrew language that is built of building blocks called roots. Most roots consist of three consonants that carry a basic meaning, e.g. R-G-Sh has to do with feelings. And now we can fill in this root with vowels and add syllables to get words like feeling (regesh), sense (hargasha), excitement (hitragshut, rigush), sensitive (ragish), touching (meragesh), emotional person (ragshan) etc. But the core is always the same, it just depends on how you use it. You only have to have a clear grasp of the root.

The variations are added to Lenormand cards by their position, context, possible question, and of course surrounding cards. They decide whether the card is the noun and main player, or the adjective and supportive player etc.

And you can interpret the same card several times over in the same reading. The snake can appear as rival, as cleverness or as health problems related to the guts... but each time, it is read using the core image/meaning.

Maybe my analogy limps. But it just popped into my head when I thought about the sturdiness and consistency of Lenormand cards as compared to tarot.

cybercat

I have notice a trend with many to treat these like tarot. Not even study a book on them just start reading them like tarot. When that happens say on Facebook groups you see some really wild results. Then you get someone post a traditional meaning and there like WoW.

I tell them to study the traditional book and meanings. LOL