Sabian Symbols Study Group: Aries Degree 14 - #14

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com :)

Sun Sign: ARIES
Degree: 14
Number: 14

Symbol: A SERPENT COILING NEAR A MAN AND A WOMAN.

MCsea

Dr Jones says the keyword is REVELATION

Solarfire Part of Body: Frontal lobes of brain

a VERY Adam and Eve Symbol eh.. Isee red and green as colours for this symbol too.. I think again it refers to the battle of good versus evil, over coming temptations and transforming into a person of great and deep wisdom.

I think it can show jealousy, anger, rage, division.

I think its a very sensual symbol, the true nature of relationships is understood.

Snakes often represent hidden fears and worries that are threatening and as phallic and thus symbolizes sexuality. Serpents also represent transformation, knowledge and wisdom. It is indicative of self-renewal and positive changes.

The iconic image of the tree guarded by the Serpent appears on Sumerian seals and is the central feature of the Garden of the Hesperides in Greek mythology. This symbol is best imagined as that of Adam and Eve with the serpent tempting them with in the Garden of Eden.

The Rainbow serpent is an important aboriginal story also.

Elven

Lynda describes this Symbol as one which carries knowledge and guilt. It deals with emotions and feelings relating to jealousy, mistrust, resentment and seperation. Keywords: relationships, belief systems, insight temptation, fear and passion, nature, instinct, kundalini energy, life and death.

This Symbol gives me a very srtong image, and with the Keyword: Revelation - I also see the words: Release and Recoil connected with it.

When this symbol has appeared in readings I have noticed that the Questioner maybe having trouble expressing themselves or have had communication problems with someone else. This has usually caused a great deal of anxiety and their instinct has been to lash out and then pull their head in, become silent, introverted, or even agrophobic. They maybe distraught, not able to find solutions to the dicussion, or worry about the consequences of their actions. This is temporary, but may take time for the questioner to work out if they are right or wrong.

When they do resume communications - it has been well thought out, and most stand up for what they believe - having come to some conlusion or desicion about the problem. There maybe feelings of wanting to recoil - but there is revelation and release when the matter has concluded.

Also sometimes can relate to personal issues with sexuality or morals. This maybe because someone has made a judgement regarding someone else, which may be disputed or not real at all. In doing so both parties make dicoveries about themselves and their own personal moralities, judgements and the way they communicate to and with others in a sexual manner.

I think this relates to another aspect of the 'guilt' conscience - and aspects of what does 'right' mean and what is 'wrong'. Lynda mentions this as she illustrates the 'Serpent & Apple, Adam and Eve' aspect of the Symbol.

marina - when you mentioned the colours ie seeing 'green and red' i thought that amazing - two 'apple' colours - and the colours of jealousy and passion!

Just some thoughts
Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Hmm yea green and red - thanks, confirmation!!

Most people who get this in their reading for me have hormone issues OR some other 'drug' induced problem- alcohol, smokes and other drugs - medicinal included in that also... I see all of these issues as masking the truth..

its kind of a 'devil' tarot card..

Marina

Elven

WOW _ I never saw that with this Symbol - but I can now!

Infidelity was another thing I realized has come up with this symbol too. Its possibly in one of the books - I remember a reading where this issue was like a hidden factor - a personal demon of the partners - but the other one not knowing and realising.

It fits the Devil card nicely! Funny too, I often associate the Fool card with 'Apples' - if he wasnt carrying a rose - I think it would be an apple :p

Thanks Marina.
Blessings
Elven

Elven

Other related Symbols for Aries degree 14.

The Symbol before this one (Karmic Influence) is:
Aries 13: A bomb which failed to explode is now safely hidden from discovery.

~~~~~~~

and the Symbol following it (Quest) is:
Aries 15 - An indian weaving a blanket in the light of the setting sun.

~~~~~~~

The Symbol opposite this (opposing influence) is:
Libra 14 - In the heat of the noon, a man takes a siesta.

~~~~~~~

The 4 Symbols in tension with Aries 14 is:

Cancer degree 14:
A very old man facing a vast dark space to the northeast.

Libra degree 14:
In the heat of the noon, a man takes a siesta.

Capricorn degree 14:
An ancient bas-relief carved in granite remains a witness to a long-forgotten culture.

~~~~~~~

Symbols which are 60 degree apart from Aries 14 are:

Gemini degree 14: Two people, at widely different points, are each in conversation with each other by means of telepathy.

Leo degree 14:
Cherub-like, a human soul whispers into every receptive ear, seeking to manifest.

Libra degree 14:
In the heat of the noon, a man takes a siesta.

Sagittarius degree 14:
A vast panorama of sand and time is unfolding; the pyramid and sphinx in their glory rise before the eye.

Aquarius degree 14:
A train entering a tunnel.

~~~~~~~

The 5 Pointed Star - Symbols which are 72 degree apart from Aries 14 are:

Gemini degree 26:
Winter frost in the woods.

Virgo degree 8:
A girl takes her first dancing instruction.

Scorpio degree 20:
A woman drawing aside two dark curtains that closed the enterance to a sacred pathway.

Aquarius 2:
An unexpected thunderstorm.

MCsea

Element Serpentinite
Discussion Serpentinite is a green metamorphic rock. This mineral/rock often naturally has a snake like apperance in colour and form. This stone essentially is a love, money and psychic energy stone, with snake ‘totem’ energy. The spirit, energy, form and colour all vibrate to this sabian symbol.

purple_scorp

I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 593

tink27

Ohh! I just lost everything I typed!

Let's see if I can quickly recap it!

This is an interesting site that gives us different examples and interpretations of the serpent. A good read!

http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/forbiser.html

In western culture the diametrically opposed meanings of the snake -- what I call the phenomenon of "the binary serpent" -- is not all that different from what I experienced as a child in Korea. The contradictions are perhaps not quite as overt in the way they play out in the surface of everyday life, but they are there -- and deeply rooted, suggestive of the ancient Goddess traditions upon which the Judeo-Christian culture built itself. What's especially interesting for me is to discover that tracing the source of the serpent symbol, regardless of whether one begins in the east or west, leads to essentially the same sources.

It is easy to get to the primary image of the serpent in western culture. In the Book of Genesis, which the Judaic and Christian religions share as a primary text, the serpent is responsible for the temptation of Eve and Adam and their expulsion from the Garden of Eden. The Lord permits Adam and Eve to eat from any tree in the Garden, but he is explicit in his prohibition: "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." The serpent, in tempting Eve actually reveals to her -- albeit indirectly -- that God has deceived her; he says, "Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

As we all know, Eve eats the fruit and also convinces Adam to eat it, and they do not immediately die. God soon discovers their transgression, but it is the serpent he punishes first. He says, "Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed . . . upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed." Thus the continued enmity between snakes and humans, what biologists suggest is a reference to the instinctive fear humans have of reptiles from back in the days when our hominid ancestors were competing with snakes on the African savannah. As a legacy of our biological heritage and God's curse on the serpent, we still have figures of speech like "snake," "snake in the grass," "pit viper," and "snake eyes" -- all negatively charged labels linked with danger, deceit, and death.

But who, exactly, was the serpent? Genesis doesn't reveal the serpent's identity. (In fact, even the serpent's gender is an odd mystery: we assume it to be male, but in a large number of paintings that depict the temptation of Adam and Eve, the serpent coiled around the tree has breasts -- another indication of the underlying Goddess culture.) From common understanding of Biblical texts, we can gather that the serpent is Satan, a name which means "adversary" in Hebrew; but through a problem in translation, he is also erroneously associated with one of God's Archangels, none other than Lucifer (variously "Son of Morning," "Morning Star," and "Bearer of Light"), who is the highest of the high among the angelic hosts. "Lucifer" was originally meant to be the Latinized rendition of "Helal, son of Shahar," a reference to a Babylonian king, but the name became associated with Satan, and his story (which is the central narrative of John Milton's Paradise Lost) is the one that has survived in the popular imagination. Lucifer is the Archangel who tried to usurp God's place in heaven and was cast down into hell as punishment. We can make much of this translation error, but this mistake and its resulting associations between the Devil, Lucifer, Satan, and the serpent of Eden reveal something far more significant and interesting about symbols and culture.

Over time, by a logic greater than the intention of any single person or even the combined intentions of a series of people, societies cause meaningful symbols to become what are called "summarizing symbols," images that economically represent layers and layers of collected meaning -- sometimes even meanings that are contradictory. The binary serpent is a classic example of this phenomenon. Consider that in the Genesis story, the serpent (also known as Satan, Prince of Lies) actually tells Eve the truth about the fruit; he exposes God's lie (what we might call a "white lie"). What's more important, in eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, Eve and Adam have learned to judge both God and the serpent. God feels quite threatened, now that the fruit has opened the humans' eyes and made them like gods; out of fear that they will also eat from the tree of life and become immortal, He casts them out of Eden and posts the flaming sword to keep them away.

This is what I wrote to get a feel for this symbol.

Psst, said the snake, looming towards the man and the woman, Come here, I have something to tell you, something of great importance, if you listen and heed my teachings, both of you, a transition will occur, a dimensional shift. Buried deep inside you are all the answers. To know this and achieve this you must believe what I am to tell you.

The man was wary of the snake. The woman was in awe and humbled by it. This independent creature definitely had a vivid curiosity to life…..it did not seem happy or content to be still. Change and movement It was in fact a very smooth and sensuous character and quite convincing.

The snake wound its body round and round, looping around on itself to get comfortable. And to look at these people eye to eye.

All that you have been told up to now has been distorted, you have been lied to. You have idolized one who you believe can do what you cannot. I say this is untrue. When you look at me, you look in fear, but in truth I do not wish to scare either of you, my wish is only to inform you. You are not here without a purpose, you both have free will! and an ability to express and create your own realities. Escape this illusion, this world of nonexistence and make up for your wasted times and opportlunities.

I think this symbol says, don't take everything to heart that you hear and see, literally. Never stop learning or understanding a thought or an idea, as things are constantly moving and changing. The snakes intention was to awaken the knowledge within us....now it's up to us to discover the intensity and richness life has to offer. But to do this we need wealth and richness of our emotions. Emotions allow energies to unite, fuse and bond together....without emotions, that bond would not be!

The snake of course represents our sexuality...it represents a transition from the ordinary level of consciousness to a much higher level...emotionally.

tink :love:

mooncat2

:) Love your story, tink!!!!.................I agree and think this symbol sets this lesson right in front of our eyes.

Face to face with these words we all have the same first reaction.........Adam & Eve - The garden of Eden.
Three words , snake, man, woman, create a collective response which becomes the source for the interpretation we give.
There is no mention of God, or gardens, or apples .......no indication of what the names of this man and woman are. We automatically add these things ourselves and its all the result of conditioned thinking.............and when we think like that we limit ourselves........fail to look further for a deeper understanding and knowledge. We cut ourselves off from our own creative self and our intuitive responses.

Aries 15 had me thinking of myths and legends and because of the Australian connection in Aries 11 I chose the Aboriginal Dreamtime to explore. I see Marina has already mentioned the Rainbow Serpent........it was the obvious choice.
It doesn’t matter where you go in mythology for you’ll always find the presence of the snake/serpent/dragon and the stories of the Rainbow Serpent are very similar to others in many parts of the world.

It is a powerful, creative life force which has its foundation in the earth.

Its natural environment is water and it is a protector of all waterways.
Earth/water are the feminine , receptive energies but they’re also passive ..........the serpent slumbers peacefully within the water hole.

At some point external events activate the serpent into action..............he rises up out of the water ,now drawing on the masculine/active fire energies.

I think the fact that these people of so many thousands of years ago called their vision of the Life Force the Rainbow Serpent is amazing for here is the kundalini and the colours of the chakras...............the coiled snake that lies within all of us and waits to be activated.
Marina has spoken of how she felt whilst at the Olgas.........”an ancient energy........like a black hole but not.........more Mother Earth”.
Both perhaps for its in the darkest times of our lives we withdraw into that black hole .........the womb of ourselves and the instinct for survival has the potential to activate us into action, determined to shed our old skins and emerge again transformed.

The rainbow is a beautiful symbol of hope and renewal...........it is the bridge to spirit, a link between the worlds.

This is symbol is No 14.....................take a step back from the Devil tarot card that the Garden of Eden story seems to bring to mind and we have Temperance. A card which often has irises in it. Iris is the Goddess of the Rainbow.........the messenger of the Gods ........she is a loving ,uniting force.............an alchemist (as were the Sabians) constantly breaking down and remixing the energies to create new and better form.

That is what the snake is telling us.............he symbolizes the potential for wholeness we all have which comes through the reconciling of opposites ........uniting them so they work in harmony together.

It begins with creating a strong and secure emotional foundation for ourselves from which we can actively change our lives and express ourselves confidently in the world.

From these meanderings I have now the thread to the next symbol which was missing before............the creative life force.

:love:

Attachments

• SC - Wishin'.JPG
    SC - Wishin'.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 547