The Icky Green Deck- Not so icky!

Alta

gregory said:
No, they don't all.............. And why can't they have them all ?
80 cards max or the expense of another sheet per deck. Unicursal plus 2 extra magis equals 81 cards.

Jeannette

Lillie said:
It's a plot, designed to make us buy multiple Thoths...
Sorry -- gotta disagree. (And yes, I know you were joking... at least, sort of joking, yes? ;))

Keep in mind that there are 78 cards in a tarot deck (usually), but your typical uncut sheet of tarot cards runs 8 cards x 10 cards (or two sets of 4 cards x 5 cards) = 80 cards. So, as the publisher, you get two cards left over to do with what you please. Most of the massmarket ones seem to use the extras a title cards, but... one could use them for 2 extra "magi" cards, of course. Or an OTO card and a hexagram card. But put both sets in, and you've got 82 cards, and therefore you have to go and print a whole 'nother sheet. Not very cost efficient.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Edited to add: Sorry. Ended up repeating the gist of Marion's post. Guess she was posting while I was typing... :|

Lillie

That's what I thought.

But my deck has the OTO card, the Hex and a blank card (with the ordinary back)!

So...

Maybe only 2 of them make the 80, and the other one get's put in from a big box of blanks, or OTO's. or whatever.

Except...
That sounds stupid even as I'm typing it.
Why do that?
The blank card is totally useless.
Why put it in at all?
Why put it in and then add another card seperately.

Never the less, it has all three in there as added extras.

thinbuddha

Here is the website of one who claims to have seen the original paintings in the late 1960's - and to have restored these images (to the best of his memory) to match the colors of the paintings.

Images abound on teh site.

http://www.lleeheflin.com/thoth/

Abrac

Another Greenie

I ran across a Thoth greenie by US Games today. It's the one Jeannette calls the White Box "C." http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php
This is one helluva nice deck. The borders are a nice, healthy-looking dark green, and the images have no green tinge whatsoever. They are comparable with the images of the modern Thoth decks. I'm not sure if this is typical with the US Games version or if this deck just happens to be from a lot that came out this way. The Weiser greenie I found several months ago looks faded and washed out, dare I say "icky."

My new greenie sounds like one mentioned by Lillie earlier in this thread, possibly a later version; however, the LWB says its a 10th printing, but that's probably just for the LWB itself. *shrugs* who knows.

-fof

gregory

There is only one greenie..... That is the White box C. Any other greenie is a false greenie and a very bad deck which deserves a spanking.

No but really, there is only the one. And it jolly well is GREEN..... Cabbagey, I'd say. The whole image. I do have ones with green tinged borders as well, but that is NOT the same thing. Trust me. (Nor is the greenie washed out. Except for people (like me and Lillie) who like cabbage, washed out would be welcome in a greenie, I believe ! :D

Abrac

gregory said:
The whole image.

Once again I have to eat my words. This afternoon I compared all the cards in this latest find to my modern Thoth. This thing is seriously green, and yes, the whole card. It's a robust and powerful green, like a big bowl of fresh broccoli! :D

-fof

gregory

fools_fool said:
Once again I have to eat my words. This afternoon I compared all the cards in this latest find to my modern Thoth. This thing is seriously green, and yes, the whole card. It's a robust and powerful green, like a big bowl of fresh broccoli! :D

-fof
It's VERY rich in vitamin C(rowley) :p