Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Thoth purchasing question.

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Citizen

Edge 
Thumbs up Thoth purchasing question.

Hello everyone, I have had a fascination with the Thoth deck since I first saw it on this site. I've gotten the impression that this is a popular deck but beyond that I simply MUST have one. Am purchasing the deck tonight on Amazon and they are recommending the Book of Thoth along with my purchase. Good idea to get the book or is their a better one for a newbie to start with? Any feedback/advice is very welcome.

Thanks!
Top   #1
Citizen

gorgeousbutterfly 

you can view the book of thoth for free online.http://www.the-book-of-thoth.com/sec...rticles-7.html

that way you don't have to pay extra money.
Top   #2
Citizen

wolfmaiden58 

if you get any book at all - get Duquette's 'Understanding AC's Thoth Tarot' - it cuts through the really heavy stuff, and personally speaking, I've found it an essential resource for the foundations of the deck i.e. GD, Qabbalah, and the mystical origins AC ascribes to it.........(BTW....all of AC's writings are available on-line too, for free).

IMHO it's not a 'play' deck, it's serious stuff.....and you can really get bogged down in the background reading alone, before even attempting to read with it!!

There are several decks on the market - I suggest you do a search in the Thoth section of this forum, to see which one you might prefer (along with ISBN numbers, so you can compare with amazon's scanty descriptions, in some cases).......lots of feedback there, and I found it invaluable when considering purchasing my deck.

Good Thothing!!
**Hugs**
wolfie
Top   #3
Citizen

Umbrae 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmaiden58
if you get any book at all - get Duquette's 'Understanding AC's Thoth Tarot' ...
IMHO it's not a 'play' deck, it's serious stuff.....and you can really get bogged down in the background reading alone, before even attempting to read with it!!
Gotta second this one.

Duquette will give you some further instruction - follow it...
Top   #4
Citizen

Edge 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeousbutterfly
you can view the book of thoth for free online.http://www.the-book-of-thoth.com/sec...rticles-7.html

that way you don't have to pay extra money.
Thanks for the link.
Top   #5
Citizen

Edge 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmaiden58
if you get any book at all - get Duquette's 'Understanding AC's Thoth Tarot' - it cuts through the really heavy stuff, and personally speaking, I've found it an essential resource for the foundations of the deck i.e. GD, Qabbalah, and the mystical origins AC ascribes to it.........(BTW....all of AC's writings are available on-line too, for free).

There are several decks on the market - I suggest you do a search in the Thoth section of this forum, to see which one you might prefer (along with ISBN numbers, so you can compare with amazon's scanty descriptions, in some cases).......lots of feedback there, and I found it invaluable when considering purchasing my deck.

Good Thothing!!
**Hugs**
wolfie
Thanks for all the suggestions. This is the deck I am looking at on Amazon, got the link from this website. http://www.aeclectic.net/cgi/buyfram...e=deck&id=4261 Definately plan to get the book you recommend too, thanks again.
Top   #6
Citizen

wolfmaiden58 

LOL!....good one!....same one as I got (but from Chapters here.....free shipping!...but it still took 3 days to come across town......must've took tranna transit.....).

Do be aware though:
1) this is the LARGE Thoth.....so you have to shuffle 'vertically'!! (but it's worth it for the beautiful artwork.....and you could always 'trim' it......)

2) The pack contains the Hex card (unicursal hexagram of AC), multicoloured though......opinions on this card vary.....

3) The pack contains only 1 Magus......I think you only get 3 Maguses (Magi??) in the small decks........

4) It's not a 'greenie'
Top   #7
Citizen

fyreflye 

Pay the extra money and get the A.G. Muller Large Swiss Thoth from Tarot Garden: http://www.tarotgarden.com/boutique/...29&pageenter=0
This is the highest quality printing of the deck currently available. Buying a Large Thoth is like purchasing a fine art reproduction; if you're going to get one, get the best.
Top   #8
Citizen

Edge 

Thanks wolfmaiden, and fyreflye I checked that link out and I must say those cards are stunning! I am sensing that purchasing either deck will definitely be worth it! Thanks for all the tips. I will be placing an order tomorrow.
Top   #9
Citizen

Edge 
Talking

A quick update, I just ordered both the the deck and Duquette's book! Can't wait, they should be here by Tues of next week!!

I am sure I'll have many more questions and comments. This is going to be an interesting journey. Thanks again all.
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.