Bohemian Gothic-Seven of Swords

Thirteen

I don't usually like the 7/Swords all that much. But I love this 7/Swords! What a cool card! 7/Swords in most RW type decks is the "thief" card showing a thief sneaking off with five out of seven swords. He usually looks to be tip-toeing away, glancing over his shoulder to be sure he hasn't been heard, smirking at his clever theft. The card usually holds one of two messages--either for the querent to watch out because someone is trying to steal something from them (including ideas), or that the querent isn't going to succeed by being honest and straightforward. They need to be sneaky to get what they want.

The BG seven of swords is fascinating. First, our thief is not a grown man, but a little girl. Second, she hasn't stolen swords, but a magic book. Third, her expression is a cross between happy and worried, as if she thinks she got away with it...but she's still listening and watching, still on alert. Last, she is sneaking away from a large, stone manor. A light is on in one of the rooms. We have the awful feeling that someone has just discovered the theft!

Intriguing card! Let's start with the little girl. She's in a cream colored frock trimmed with lace, a big bow in her black hair. So she is a pampered little girl. Given other cards discussed (like the 5/Swords), one might surmise that this little girl is expected to be pretty and not much else; perhaps her intelligence and talent has been discouraged. That puts a very interesting spin on her stealing of the book. Unlike with the usual 7/Swords thief, we empathize. She's stolen something that can empower her, something to feed her mind and talents, and escape a life of being merely ornamental. Or, perhaps, she is a spoilt child who gets all the pretty dresses and bows she wants--but was told she couldn't have the book, and willfully took it?

Swords are about the mind, communication, knowledge. It's very apt that she's stealing a book. The 5-pointed pentacle reminds us of the 5 swords out of 7 usually stolen. It leaves no doubt that this is a "book of secrets." Someone's text of magical secrets. Thus, the BG takes us further than usual, what's stolen is not just knowledge or ideas, but powerful secrets. And here's another twist--there's no knowing if what the girl is stealing will help or harm her. An amazing message this card offers that other 7/Swords don't: what you steal could transform you--for good or bad. If she's the smart little girl, perhaps that book will help her grow into a powerful witch; if she's the pampered, willful little girl, then she might lose her soul to something she summons but can't handle. Intent, why she stole the book, is clearly important here. It influences the outcome.

And yet one last catch to the whole card: that light in the window. The girl's eyes glancing behind her, reminiscent of the RW thief glancing over his shoulder. Unlike in the RW 7/Swords where we don't know if the thief need be worried, that light in the window confirms that in this 7/Swords, the girl should be worried. The chase may be on! Thus we have several important messages in this card. First, the usual message that someone might steal something very important from us. Or that if we want something (power, for example), we might have to sneak around and do some stealing to get it. Next is the message that if we take such action, we should be aware that we are also taking a real chance. Stolen secrets that can empower us, can also destroy us. We'd better be sure of what we're doing and why we're doing it. Certainly there is a message that once we engage in such theft, we will have lost our innocence in some form or other. Finally, that if we go this route, we'd better be on our guard, as the theft might be noticed, and there might be someone (or something) on our trail.

Other thoughts on this marvelous card?

Alisa13

Thirteen said:
Swords are about the mind, communication, knowledge. It's very apt that she's stealing a book. . .
Finally, that if we go this route, we'd better be on our guard, as the theft might be noticed, and there might be someone (or something) on our trail.

Other thoughts on this marvelous card?

Thirteen - in complete agreement! I just did a cool reading where the 7 of swords came up and the next card was the Page of Pentacles.
The seven of swords in this case really was a written document; there was subterfuge; it was about education/work.
I was totally fascinated by how the pentacle in the 7 swords played so nicely off the Page of Pentacles, these cards connect so well.
I have nothing to add to your description because it was perfect and said it all!
:)

Alisa13

7 of Swords Strikes Again
I seem to be having a lot of attention from this card.
The theme of deception (both deceived and be the deceiver!) keeps coming back, again and again.
Would you believe the last time it came up 2 types of "deception" occurred on the same day. One was me being stupid and blabbing about someone, only to have them pop their head around the corner - doh!
The other was very literal, there was a runaway teenager trying to "deceive" the parents; only to be found out when they were dumb enough to answer a page made for them!
The light in the card has new meaning - not matter how you try to deceive the light will always shine on it.
Here's hoping I dont' draw it tomorrow! :)