Xx Road Block Xx

SunChariot

tarotreader2007 said:
I have had the thoth for about 2-3 years now but I still just can't understand it. It is an awkward deck for me and I just can't seem to "feel" the interpretations. Many a time, I am able to read the cards by looking at the pictures depending on the deck. But with the thoth, I seem to struggle grasping the lightly detailed minors and distorted looking people. Sometimes, I think the people might have had something before the pictures because of their uniqueness. Don't get me wrong, I love the artwork, but the pictures don't speak to me and I really want to be able to read with this deck. Do you think that it's just a road block I can work over or is it just 'one of those decks' that doesn't work for me as a reader?

That sounds a lot like my experience with it. I got it on E-Bay along with two books on it. I usually do read by analysing the images, but for some reason with this deck I thought I had to learn it and I was reading and trying to study the books. I really could not read with the deck. It was not giving me answers I could make sense of.

I tried to trade it on AT, but no one answered. That to me is a sign from the universe that I was meant to keep it. So I did and for some reason, something like six months later, I was doing a reading and I felt my Thoth Tarot was the deck I needed. Even though it had never worked for me before. Always one to respect my intuitions (hey my Soul Card is the High Priestess), I pulled out the deck and just forgot all the rest and read in my normal way buy analysing the imagery. And it worked amazingly for the first time.

Now I know the key to that deck, for me, was to be myself and not try to learn to be someone else to read it.

I don't know if that helps or applies, but at least part of the point is sometiimes things don't work until it is time for them too. It may not be your deck now, but you may be called to use it later and and it will work well for you then....

Oh and I was worried about that in the deck too that the Minors were not scenic enough for me. But they really are. There is a lot of variation between them and they really do talk to me now.

Bar

tarotreader2007

Thanks a lot sunchariot. Your response connected with me better than anyone elses (no offense to anyone else but this is EXACTLY how I feel). I will definitely try your technique. Maybe I just have a longer waiting period of 4-5 years!

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

Teheuti

I agree about the timing. My big break - after struggling for years to understand the deck - was taking a class with someone who really loved it and had devised her own approach to the images - and they suddenly seemed to open up for me. Later I went back to Crowley and could understand what he was saying even though it was often different than my teacher's explanation. I now use about 85% Crowley/Golden Dawn and about 15% what I like best from my teacher. I'd say that understanding the astrological and mythological references really helps. And, a class with someone who really knows the deck can make a big difference.

Mary

SunChariot

tarotreader2007 said:
Thanks a lot sunchariot. Your response connected with me better than anyone elses (no offense to anyone else but this is EXACTLY how I feel). I will definitely try your technique. Maybe I just have a longer waiting period of 4-5 years!

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**
Glad to help if I can.:grin:

In my case anyway, I think my main problem was that I was trying to read the deck in a way that was not natural to me. I am by nature and intuitive reader but I disregarded that and tried to "learn" the deck. I know that works for some people, but for me it just holds me back.

Bar

tarotreader2007

That's how it was for me too. Last night I did a reading with my COS partner and used the thoth and it worked well!

Thanks again for your input.

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

Nholdamek

Few things I want to respond to here.

Firstly, to Baccus93:

:D So glad to find a Thelemite here. I totally agree with your post. Except that The Book of the Law has never been repulsive to me; from the start Thelema and everything associated with it just connected and resonated with me. In fact any time I try to study something regarding high magick, I'm always led persistently to Thelema, and so in the end that's what I decided to follow.

I just can't use any other decks though. The symbolism and representation of the cards in Thoth are so perfect that other decks do repulse me. Further, the energy around them is so magnificent; the first day I got them I could not put them down for a long time, lol.

Now to tarotreader2007:

I read just about 100% intuitively and I have been told that the thoth is one that (to get the full meaning of the cards) you need to dive into Crowley's meanings and absorb them to better understand it.

It really depends. You do at least have to have astrological and qabalistic experience, because a lot of the cards are symbolic in such a way that you need to know these things in order to understand them.

Usually the name of the card (I mean the title like success, victory, etc) is enough for me, but if not then I look at the planet ruling the decanate or sign the card represents, as well as the card's element, the path (if a major arcana) or Sephira (if a minor arcana), etc.

At least know the element of each card, because then it helps to better define their relationship with other cards. For instance if two cards that are related have earth and air as elements, then I take it to mean that there is a conflict between these two cards and so something keeping the querent from accomplishing what he/she wants to, while if it is fire and air, then there is definite inspiration but little practicality.

Edit:

Just realized there were two pages of this thread I didn't see. :p

About the Book of Thoth: I find that to be the best resource, even if it can be a bit cryptic at times. If you don't understand something,just read over it again, and do research into anything you just can't get. But it's well worth it if you understand it. That's my sole resource for the meanings of the cards.

You might be able to read intuitively, but I think you will be able to get a much deeper understanding of the cards and their meaning within readings if you do study the related subjects. It'll still work if you don't, but in my opinion, it'll work even better if you do.

93 93/93