"tuning in" to consult the cards

MandMaud

Wow, loads of replies. Thank you! Some are off-target, only because I wasn't clear - all my responsibility.

You might just be worrying too much. :) Actually, there was a similar (I think) thread recently - How to keep your readings "pure"?.

If you're not a great yogi with a one-hundred-something-year experience of focusing your energy, chances are you won't be able to stay 'tuned in' and focused on the question for the whole 20/30/40-minute length of your reading.
Thanks for the link; it's a different question in fact. And generally I have no trouble staying tuned in (whether reading or something else) for 20+ minutes, except when in this state where I can't settle into it in the first place.

I'd say, don't bother that much. Do your best, but don't worry about not making it perfect every time. Maybe, even not making it perfect ever.
I'm not looking for perfect... When this problem isn't being a problem, I'm satisfied with how I read.

Am I right in thinking you don't read for other people - only yourself? This might be why you have trouble tuning in. Because when you "know" your life and not much is going on it could be kind of boring. Maybe do some readings for other people and see how you feel after that.
Just a thought.
Spiderwoman
I think you make a good point and I'll pay attention to it. I "don't get out much" and life is duller than it will be by next year - transitional at the moment, between one life stage and another - and I've found practising on fictional characters etc doesn't work for me. I read for friends without them there (being careful not to trespass as it were), and have only once tried face to face for someone who wasn't immediate family.

Yesterday, it occurred to me that I could read for people in the news who catch my attention, whether celebrities or crime victims or whatever. Since I feel that connection with them it may work better. And there could be feedback in tomorrow's news... I may start doing that.

Are you tuned in while drawing? if so a suggestion could be to get "tuned in" draw the appropriate number of cards while in that tuned in state. My belief is that the accuracy is the same whether you draw each one and lay them down or if you draw them all at once then position them so long as you are taking the time to feel the energy of the cards when you are doing it.

maybe drawing it all at once will help you stay "tuned" to the cards, then its a simple matter of positioning, then meditating on the message of the cards once they are in position! unless you dont read like that <~< and im just being a weirdo....again....
Weird minds think alike! I get exactly what you're talking about! :) And actually, while drawing is the whole of my problem. Once they're laid out, I don't feel I need to be tuned in to interpret.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Nothing, if I have a client infront of me and others waiting I push on, to traditional meanings (number and suits), there have been times when I have asked my clients what they see in the cards, at times that has "primed my intuition" and I am back in sync. If it is really bad, I pull out my trusty old playing card deck. Normally "tuning in" problems happen if I am too tired, had too much to drink, or upset.
I haven't read for a client as such... I have read advice for professionals for when you "dry" in front of a client, things such as describing what's on the cards, and just talking whatever comes out of your mouth, to get past the block. I don't think this is my problem...? When I get nothing intuitively, I start with the numbers and other "mechanical" ways that the cards can have meaning, and the rest follows. In fact often these mechanical readings are the best. But not if I was out of touch with the question while shuffling.

I do't ever really "tune in", in any way that other people would recognise.

When I'm reading for a person in front of me, I'm vaguely aware of the fact that I'm reading for them. When I'm reading by email or in the exchange circles here, I lose all sense of even whom I'm reading for, let alone any question they might have asked.

It all seems to work out in the end. I don't find it necessary to be rigidly focussed, screwed into the reading. It's enough that it starts flowing. :)
That's funny, what you describe, losing sense of who it is etc, is what I'd call being tuned in. lol

Way too much thinking going on.

Have a root beer float. In case this doesn't translate to other cultures you get a big glass, the bigger the better. You fill it with vanilla ice cream. Now add root beer. This might take a bit as the root beer will foam.

Enjoy the root beer float.

Now pick up your cards. You will be fine.
It's more fun to put the ice cream in afterwards - then it foams over the table and floor. :D But I know what you're saying. And honestly, I'm not thinking that much while with the cards. All the waffle in my question was because I hadn't done enough thinking to distill what I actually needed to ask - and all that thinking hadn't started until I began typing. Honest, guv.

I have a synchronistic view of how tarot works, so I feel a need to be 'in tune' with the universe at the instant a card is chosen. I have no idea how this works, but it does, at least for me.
Me too...

<nodding> And here's how to tell if you're in tune with the universe. If you are, you'll feel an impulse to breathe, sooner or later. If you've stopped breathing for good you're even more tuned into the universe - but might find handling cards a little tricky.

(And I'm only partly joking here).
Now, if I stay aware of my breathing, I'm not fully tuned in yet. I mean when meditating for example. I usually begin by focusing on the breath, especially when needing to settle my psyche in order to "get into it". (For me visual stuff helps too.) But if I'm still thinking about my breathing, I haven't got fully into the state we're talking about. - which sounds the opposite of what you're saying, but I can't think that we're saying opposite things here so now I'm confused!

Hi MandMaud! :)
The first thing I "got" when I read your post is that you were not grounded at that moment. You seemed scattered. When you started worrying about your spread positions, that felt like Ego and a "good enuff" syndrome that got triggered...
Absolutely - well noticed. I hadn't thought about it but I suppose I came straight here to put my question, while in the un-tuned state.
Do you see the Self-doubt "good enuff" syndrome rearing it's self here big time? }) Becoming conscious of when this niggling little self-doubt fear is creeping into your space will be VERY powerful! Then congratulate yourself when you do see it invading your space! That is a great way to deflate that doubt fear that is messing with you...
Sorry but I'm there already. :D And in fact, the doubt doesn't come in while I'm trying to read. Only afterwards, when I've been way off with the reading and wondering why.

I should have stated this before - the thoughts that elbow their way in are usually about something else that I would ask the cards about. Not always the case that I've had to make a choice between one subject and another - sometimes I've been thinking about something, decided to read, and then as I shuffle another thing enters my mind. (For example certain topics are life themes at the moment: parenting, finances, health; and if I've been thinking about parenting constantly while unloading the dishwasher, then I sit down to read about it, having got my question nice and clear in my head, in the middle of shuffling (and I don't try to shuffle for many minutes either), here comes money to interrupt.) I really don't think the What of the thoughts is the problem, I think it's the being In My Head. It's like getting tuned in / out of my head(!) / into the connected state* and slipping out of it, like a loose wire.**
* I hate putting these things into words, these things that don't belong to words.
** Loose wire probably better than loose screw ;)

I know, I know this is about carrying worries. I'm inclined by nature to be more worried than I'm conscious of (come a long way with that one over the years!) and maybe that's here too. But most of the time, I can tell I'm not right to attempt reading, for instance too tired as Pamuya suggests or still "wearing" the last conversation I was in, etc.

This is more like distractibility...
Hm... ADHD wonderings...

Being a healer, you already know this, but sometimes we forget to be "in-tune" with what we know... darn it...
O-owh, yes. (There's a UK insurance ad with a dog that says that - he's pretty much entered the language - hard to do the voice on the forum though. ;) Aha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZToP48Mrp8

I have a couple of new thoughts springing out of all your ideas :) and one is the ADD thing, another the read-for-self-vs-others thing. This question needs sleeping on!

Sassenach

I try to have a clear question before I even pick up the cards. Then I just "zone out" and relax while shuffling. Some days it will take a little longer to relax. I just let thoughts go in and out, but I don't focus on them too much.

After I've gotten to the point that I "know" it's time to lay down the cards, I then ask myself the question and start. It's easier for me do it this way than to focus hard on the question the whole time I shuffle.

I leave it to the cards to tell me when they are reading to be laid down.

May you day be Blessed,
Sassenach

nisaba

Now, if I stay aware of my breathing, I'm not fully tuned in yet. I mean when meditating for example.
<chagrined> I wasn't actually talking about being *aware* of your breathing. I was talking about *actually* breathing.

I find that if you're alive at all, you're tuned into the universe.

I really didn't want to spell that out. :(

greatdane

I feel it is important to be "present". I am focused on a reading. I don't sit and think about other things and just flip cards.

But I am not suggesting someone couldn't do that and get or do a great reading.

For me, personally, I do focus on the question and am "present", like I would be for anything that was important to me. I know there are many readers who can just kind of shuffle and get a reading and not even think about it, and if that works for them, I say great. Everyone knows what works for them.

I think you find a rhythm and what works for you. There's no right or wrong, but what you feel comfortable with and the proof is in the reading. If you get good readings, you're on the right track, however you get them.

Karrma

Sometimes I don't feel I am tuned in when doing a reading, or feel it is wrong, may try to do another one later. But it is amazing that I always find it is the original reading which is the most valuable, even if I originally think something was not perfect.

Sometimes I just need to really meditate or dream about it.

Richard

<nodding> And here's how to tell if you're in tune with the universe. If you are, you'll feel an impulse to breathe, sooner or later. If you've stopped breathing for good you're even more tuned into the universe - but might find handling cards a little tricky.

(And I'm only partly joking here).
It's a Taoist thing. A state of mind in which you are conscious of being in synch with the Tao. Unfortunately, the Tao can't be defined except by saying what it isn't. However, it can be experienced.

nisaba

It's a Taoist thing. A state of mind in which you are conscious of being in synch with the Tao. Unfortunately, the Tao can't be defined except by saying what it isn't. However, it can be experienced.

No, I was just saying if you're alive, you're there.

MandMaud

<chagrined> I wasn't actually talking about being *aware* of your breathing. I was talking about *actually* breathing.

I find that if you're alive at all, you're tuned into the universe.

I really didn't want to spell that out. :(
Classic case of hearing metaphor or ulterior meaning, when you were being literal! Sorry. :D

I feel it is important to be "present". I am focused on a reading. I don't sit and think about other things and just flip cards.

But I am not suggesting someone couldn't do that and get or do a great reading.
I certainly can't, but yes I know people who can (actually I don't know any tarot readers in person but I know people who could (if you know what I mean)). Methinx it's too much Air in some people's makeup. I have Mercury strong in my chart and before I learnt to centre, I used to believe I had no subconscious at all, never on autopilot, the thinking switch always on "On".

"Present" is a better word for what I'm talking about than "tuned in", at least it distinguishes those who can do it withouto stepping into a frame of mind from those of us who can't.

Sometimes I don't feel I am tuned in when doing a reading, or feel it is wrong, may try to do another one later. But it is amazing that I always find it is the original reading which is the most valuable, even if I originally think something was not perfect.
That's very interesting and it says this is partly about trust. Maybe I shouldn't let go of a reading so easily after it's done. (I don't with the biggies but if it's just about today or tomorrow, I tend to forget about it.)

Sassenach

I think maybe I misunderstood your question. I have never read for anyone else yet, so I think that it would be a learning curve for me do readings on others. I'm still quite a novice.

If I got stuck and had to stop and look through notes, that would break up the reading for sure and I lose the momentum and the continuity.

I love the idea of doing readings based on current events. For example, I will start to read the cards before I go to that Borough Council Meeting and see what happens.

In the meantime...where's the root beer?

Blessed Be Your Day,
Sassenach

MandMaud

I think maybe I misunderstood your question. I have never read for anyone else yet, so I think that it would be a learning curve for me do readings on others. I'm still quite a novice.

If I got stuck and had to stop and look through notes, that would break up the reading for sure and I lose the momentum and the continuity.

I love the idea of doing readings based on current events. For example, I will start to read the cards before I go to that Borough Council Meeting and see what happens.

In the meantime...where's the root beer?

Blessed Be Your Day,
Sassenach

I think I missed your previous reply anyway, Sassenach! So I'm glad you came back.

I've always (since picking up tarot which wasn't all that long ago) read on things that were going to happen, if I was nervous of them, and on situations that left me either not sure how to proceed or not sure what exactly was going on. Or both. I have tried reading on things in the news, like this Korean ferry tragedy, or the lost Chinese plane passengers, but that just doesn't work for me as practice. And trivial everyday questions such as who I may see while I walk the dog this afternoon - my cards, or my higher self, or whoever it is that I'm asking, isn't interested in that stuff!

The last day or so, I've tried putting the question out loud to the cards. I know a lot of people do that anyway but I used to feel silly with it. Now, I've stopped thinking it has to mean I believe they're listening. I don't believe they're politely listening... but "pretending" I'm speaking to them feeds into my imagination or my subconscious or whatever it is (words that could refer to teh same thing anyway) and helps it centre, or whatever that is. "Be present". Funny that being present is helped by make-believe that something/someone else is present...