Earthly motivations fueling the 8 of Wands

.traveller.

Not sure if this goes here, but I am sure someone will let me know if it's wrong.

If a person is an earthy type, motivated by money, comfort, security and gratification of the senses, what sort of action would the 8 of Wands represent? Would the 8 become less speedy and more concrete?

I read up on the 8 of Wands, and most people say the same over and over "email!, phonecalls!, sex!" but those meanings never seem to pan out in actual readings.

Does anyone have a broader conception of the 8 of Wands that they would be willing to share with me? I thought of it in turns of a culmination of what has gone before but the longer I think on how that would manifest in a practical sense, the more I realize that it is just another way of saying "email!, phonecalls!, sex!"

jenessa

Well you asked for it, so here goes LOL!

In a "broad sense" the 8 of Wands signals: Rapid Advancement and that which is on the Move.

Some examples: your on the fast track & things are in high gear .. so this card could appear when your covering a lot of ground @ work. Or as far as whats "motivating" the querent, this could appear @ a time when they are trying to cover a lot of ground re: some endeavour.

Under this influence there's lots of action .. & @ times it can be likened to a sudden explosion of movement & activity in your affairs.
-- & As such, this card can also appear to suggest the NEED for: Great Haste & Swift Action in response to: this "sudden activity".

Also under this influence you may need to: keep up with "rapidly multiplying DEVELOPMENTS" that seem to be taking on a life of their own. Or this card can refer to: "EVENTS that are unfolding rapidly", and as such there is a need for you to: stay on top of the situation, at this time.

As this relates to: business or money matters there is a NEED for: clear communications in response to this sudden activity. So you need to: be clear about communicating your intentions, so that they are clearly understood. >> (For eg.: this could relate to the stock market, or other investment opportunities).

Another underlying message in this card signals the NEED for you to: take action in response to: an increase in momentum. So whatever your situation, under this influence you can expect: to be kept busy.

The appearance of this card can also signal: that success can be obtained thru quick action .. so this could appear @ a time when you NEED to: move quickly.

**It's important to understand that the 8 of Wands signals: MOVEMENT*
-- BUT it's : movement onto or into something else.
-- So as the 'suit of wands' is the suit most concerned with: career objectives >> this could point to: a transfer or promotion @ work
-- Or signal: the prospect of moving into an entirely new line of work .. or into a new residence as a result of some career move.

Also as this is a card of movement, it may appear to signal: TRAVEL*
-- So under this influence you may embark upon a journey or take a trip!! (traditionally, by Air/plane).

& Because this is a card that predicts sudden activity, this card can also signal: 'a sudden flurry of communications' .. (emails, etc!)

** Other Meanings: this card can be read as a signal: that things will happen quickly; or it can signal >> the speedy "completion" of a goal.

As far as what sort of "action" 8 Wands would represent, its more that this card is urging the querent to take "swift action" IN RESPONSE to an increase in momentum.

I hope this helps .. & please note: alot of what i've posted is from AT members who contribute to this forum, and from whom i've copied & pasted their take re: card meanings.

PS: Do you read with reversals?

balenciaga

full steam ahead, no obstacles. Also, it comes up a lot for one who reads text on a page, in a book, does a lot of reading.

.traveller.

Thank you both :)
I need to take some time and absorb what you wrote, jenessa. Work is demanding my attention right now, so my focus is split.

nisaba

I also often see this card as a warning-card against moving too quickly in a quite literal sense, as if the querent is in an accident-prone stage where they are inclined to trip over their own feet if they hurry, or when driving through an orange light instead of stopping for it is a really bad idea ... The idea of haste and rapidity in some people (especially earth signs) can work against them.

.traveller.

So it sounds like the 8 represents an impulsive, possibly ill considered, move... but not necessarily indicating what that move/action would be unless it is representing travel.

I think that is what I was having trouble with, I kept trying to assign a specific action/s to the 8 rather than leaving it as the quality of an action. Thinking back on recent readings that involved the 8, the quality of an action pov works with all of them.

*sigh*
I feel better now, that was bugging me to no end. :)

Thanks bunches :D

ofbainbridge

I associate Wands with drive, ambition, needs, wants...and 8s with movement so...
Upright would be movement towards your goals, movement towards whatever your want for yourself or you want to be...

Rx would indicate a decrease in progression towards your goals...not making headway towards what it is you want or need...

jenessa

traveller QUOTE >> I think that is what I was having trouble with, I kept trying to assign a specific action to the 8 rather than leaving it as the "QUALITY of an action".

Exactly .. 8 Wands is about "movement", and its often rapid .. so things/(whatever) can happen quickly. Not to mention that the ACTION that the querent takes while under this influence, is often IN RESPONSE to an "increase in momentum".

I also agree whole-heartedly with what ofbainbridge posted >> re: associating Wands with drive, ambition, wants, needs, and desires .. AND 8s with movement.

& As far as what nisaba posted >> i would attribute this type of warning* to the reversed meaning for this card.

& As far as your original post QUOTE >> If a person is an earthy type, motivated by money, comfort, security and gratification of the senses, what sort of action would the 8 of Wands represent? Would the 8 become LESS speedy and more concrete? << NOT IMO/jenessa .. tho if you read reversals in terms of a reversed cards representing a blocked or delayed version of the cards upright meaning, then i guess you might view it this way to some extent, tho i would only read it this way IF the surrounding cards seemed to point to this type of interpretation

traveller. QUOTE >> It sounds like the 8 represents an impulsive, possibly ill considered, move. >> i personally would only read it this way IF the card was reversed. Also for your info., i've copied & pasted the reversed card meaning below:

8 Wands reversed: Signals CHAOS
-- & implies that: things are speeding up & as a result, you will find yourself in the middle of a lot of activity.
-- HOWEVER, in the reversed position the suggestion is that: Things are moving TOO FAST & you are not prepared for this type of momentum.
-- OR: There is also the possibility that: YOU are moving too far/too fast, and that this will work against you.

-- Another message in this reversal is that your situation may become too chaotic, and as a RESULT you run the risk* of having your course of action misdirected.
-- (For Eg.: This increase in momentum may force you to make Hasty Decisions or respond with an ill-conceived message, which will later be regretted).
-- Also under this influence you run the risk* that rapid actions or decisions will lead to mistakes.

-- This card can also appear in instances when: your plans are overtaken by events. (For eg.: your planning on tackling things a certain way @ work, but things start speeding up & all your plans go out the window).
-- This card further suggests: that even IF you try & adjust so as to keep up with things, being proactive may be difficult because this type of momentum demands too much of your time & attention.
-- SO basically you could find yourself in a SITUATION that's taken on a life of it's own & there is little that you can do to alter this "chain of events".

-- This card can also apply to SITUATIONS: where there is the possibility that you could be brought down rapidly/quickly .. &/or otherwise lose out on something with no advance warning.

-- In addition to which, as the 8 of Wands can be about: a sudden career move, such as a promotion or transfer @ work, there is the suggestion in this reversal that you should: resist this (opportunity)/stage, as it may be better in the long term: to MAINTAIN THE STATUS QUO .. given that under this influence any sudden moves on your part could result in chaos*.

Hope this helps/REGARDS/jenessa

PS: In your post you mentioned you were busy @ work, so i wonder whether you were reading for yourself?
PPS: As always please note that alot of what i've posted in the preceeding is courtesy of what i've learned from others who contribute to this forum.
PPPS: Also Note, as i have no idea how to use the "quote" feature, i simply copy & paste & then type QUOTE in all caps, when i'm formatting my replies.