Thoth a Pagan themed deck?

kwaw

Aeon418 said:
Fair enough. What are your "certain qualifications". I take it you mean a narrower definition of the word.

On the contrary, the very broad definition of the word and the many ways in which Liber Al may be interpreted allow me to confidently say 'yes' without fear that I cannot provide sufficient qualification to answer any objection. The question is flawed. However, I am not just being a 'king of swords' here, and think beyond the point of the question being flawed the book of thoth can be considered a 'pagan themed' deck; I refer you to Ross Caldwell's post who has already highlighted the points I was preparing to make and to my previous [according to Aeon beside the point] posts re: crowley and paganism in general.

Re: the quote about 'inauguration of paganism in a purer form' which I was quoting from memory, being home I have been able to look it up and Ross's memory is obviously better than mine in that the word is 'restore' not 'inaugurate' [confessions p.839].

Kwaw

Aeon418

kwaw said:
On the contrary, the very broad definition of the word and the many ways in which Liber Al may be interpreted allow me to confidently say 'yes' without fear that I cannot provide sufficient qualification to answer any objection.
Looks like we have a broad spread of opinion on this one. Nothing wrong with that mind you. ;)

I'm going to toss something into the arena that might make it look as if I am contradicting myself. So be it. (It's probably way off topic.) Speaking in a very general way it is possible to say that Thelema is a Solar oriented religion/philosophy. Paganism, on the other hand, tends to be more Earth/Nature based. With this in mind I find Crowley's comments on the Ace of Disks interesting.
About the whirling Disk are six Wings; the entire symbol is not only a glyph of Earth as understood in this New Aeon of Horus, but of the number 6, the number of the Sun. This card is thus an affirmation of the identity of Sol and Terra - and that will be best understood by those who have punctually practised Liber Resh for the necessary number of years, preferably in such Hermitages as those of the Sahara Desert, where the Sun and the Earth can soon be instinctively recognised as Living Beings, one's constant companions in a Universe of Pure Joy.

(Book of Thoth p.211/212)