New Crowley Biography?

Le Fanu

Thank you Aeon for that. I'm having a rest from Crowley bios right now but I shall add this to my wish list and buy it when the urge to read another one strikes.

Lleminawc

I went to a signing/talk by the author at Watkins last night. Anyone else there? Interestingly, he first became aware of Crowley through his hobby of mountain climbing - apparently Chris Bonington held AC in high esteem.

Lleminawc

A lot of the Aleister Crowley spy angle has to be qualified with a fair sprinkle of "possible", "maybe", and question marks. Thankfully that's how Churton has treated it.
Churton was asked about this at last night's signing and said it was probably more accurate to say that AC was an "intelligence asset" rather than an agent.

Aeon418

Churton was asked about this at last night's signing and said it was probably more accurate to say that AC was an "intelligence asset" rather than an agent.
I would agree with that.

Babalon Jones

Another one for the wish list! Just added it. Currently reading Confessions and Perdurabo. so much to read, so little time!

gregory

Thank you Aeon for that. I'm having a rest from Crowley bios right now but I shall add this to my wish list and buy it when the urge to read another one strikes.

What he said. If I EVER get over Perdurabo (still chugging along) I will think about this. But another 496 pages....

sapienza

I started reading Perdurabo and was really loving it to bits, then it was like I hit a brick wall and just haven't been able to read any more. Maybe it's the size of the thing :laugh: Maybe this new bio might be a better option for me considering how little spare time I seem to have.

Ross G Caldwell

I have to admit I find Kaczynski to be a poor stylist - his writing is drudgery. He has written what is essentially a series of exhaustively researched footnotes to Crowley's life.

To get the narrative of Crowley's life down, you need a better writer. I don't have Sutin, but I'm hoping Churton will pull me in to a story that, like Aeon, I know like the back of my hand.

Symonds is still the best stylist, the best storyteller, of Crowley's life IMO. He really was a great writer. If you can see past his bias, you will find him very entertaining. He keeps the plot moving. You can still get "The King of the Shadow Realm" or "The Beast 666" (almost identical books) for less than 40 euros.