Making Bags and Boxes

daveyboy

Making a bag

Now i'll admit I had to get my other 1/2 to sew it (I did try but made a mess). I (She) used some crushed velour, i got some nice light purple coloured stuff and turquoise. And some gold string so it would keep it shut.

They have a nice look 'n' feel to them.

Can post pictures if anyone wants to have a look :)

Dave

Danacafe

cool! i wanna see!=D cool... how do u make it? i made mine but its really a mess =.=;

Elizabeth Genco

I'm very interested, Rainwolf and Lillie. I haven't taken out my sewing machine in a while and a bunch of bags for all the decks that I have purchased of late (like, four or five) would be a real hoot of a "get back into it" kind of project. Pictures are always good!

rainwolf

Hmmm i can make directions with pics, but it would take a few days, esp if i did the hard one. I tell you what, ill start working on it tonight, and take pics after each step, and ill put a post per step, including an attachment for each. That way, you can learn how to make an eays bag, and i can keep the hard one for myself for trading }) I'll start on it in a bit, maybe next weekend i can have it up, maybe before, maybe after-i never know with my sched.

How far is everyone though? Has everyone at least hand sewed? Anyone machine sew because that is where i will be giving direction (hand sewing is tougher and the bag will be more durable, but hand sewing is easy and if you take your time will be just as strong depending on how small you stitches are)

Hawks_girl_dove

I love making pouches. Some are for myself, some i trade, and some i sell in a couple of the local Pagan shops in town.

I use a wide range of materials, from velvets, to silks, cottons, whatever i like. Rainwolf has a few of mine! I line all of my bags. I use a double draw string closure with nylon cording (sturdier than ribbon, wont fray like yarn) I secure abead at the end of the strings to make for easier grasping when pulling tight.

For added decoration, i have used fancy lace either around the opening of the pouch, or sewn onto the bottom.

I also LOVE working with the new beds that have come out that are sewn on strips of ribbon or edging. I have stitched this around either the opening or along the bottom of the bag.

Mine are generously sized approx 7x9 so you can have your deck wrapped in a silk if you like to store them that way.

I really like the idea of lavender between the inner and outer lining. (House does it hold if you have to wash it?) I also like the idea that someone posted about stitching in a lil divder pouch for the LWB. good idea.

It might be fun to swap one of my pouches, for one of some one else's. Rainwolf has made some nice crocheted ones. If anyone would like to swap one for one, let me know.

If you really need/want pouch.......i am easily found, and more than happy to stitch one up!

bright blessings

seneris

rainwolf said:
How far is everyone though? Has everyone at least hand sewed? Anyone machine sew because that is where i will be giving direction (hand sewing is tougher and the bag will be more durable, but hand sewing is easy and if you take your time will be just as strong depending on how small you stitches are)

Hi, I'm looking forward to see your work. I have only hand sewed until now. I have a sowing machine, but I don't know how to use it yet.

Cielo

I have recently begun making crocheted bags too and they have turned out lovely!!!! The good thing is that you don't need to take out the sewing machine (which I have but never use, wouldn't know how! :D), it's quick and it's durable! I also made beads out of FIMO, painted them and used for decoration. It started because of the Druid Craft which came without a small box to store them in...I got tired of wrapping them in my daughters bandana!!!! LOL!
I wanted something that was practical, simple, yet appealing...I'm still working on a few more with more elaborate designs...it's a wonderful passtime besides the ulterior motive!!!! :D

I'm adding a picture of two of the bags as example!

Attachments

• tarotbags1.JPG
    tarotbags1.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 403

Hawks_girl_dove

Cielo;
Thanks for sharing a picture. I love your bags. The simplicity of the cream colored bag just takes my breath away!

Elizabeth Genco

rainwolf said:
Hmmm i can make directions with pics, but it would take a few days, esp if i did the hard one. I tell you what, ill start working on it tonight, and take pics after each step, and ill put a post per step, including an attachment for each. That way, you can learn how to make an eays bag, and i can keep the hard one for myself for trading }) I'll start on it in a bit, maybe next weekend i can have it up, maybe before, maybe after-i never know with my sched.

That'd be very, very kind of you. I know that it's hard work, collating and posting pictures. I really appreciate it!

As for how far along I am, I've got a sewing machine and can do the basics, like sewing in a straight line. :) And I'm not easily intimidated -- I've got my SEWING FOR DUMMIES and have no problem looking things up!