Journal Entries-For beginners - The High Priestess

witchywomyn

I wanted to move ahead with my journaling- hope nobody minds that I added the next card to the study group.

VerseJunkie

Card Name/Deck: The High Priestess, Tarot of the Cat People
First Impression: A regal & powerful woman, with no real sense of spirituality attached.
Imagery: this woman is very ornately dressed, and has a somewhat cruel and uncaring look upon her face. She does not seem concerned with spirituality, or if she is it is only because it is a source of her own power. She seems more concerned with the power of her wisdom and that people respect her. She holds out her scepter in a grandiose, dramatic gesture, and her arms are spread in a way to make her appear larger than she really is.
Keywords: Wealth, Wisdom, Acumen, Charisma, Socialite, Austerity.
Other notes: Nothing, really. This card doesn't really speak to me, except that I wonder if the scepter she holds in her hand is some variation on the wand.

Indigo_lady

Card Name/Deck: The High Priestess, Witches Tarot

First Impression: This woman who has been succesful in her career, and her public life, she covers a great deal of the modern conception of being a complete woman, but in the inside things are not that together or succesful as she pretends

She's trying to hold things together

I don't think she's that bad, she's just had a shallow perspective on life, the way she was thaught to be in order to be independent and fullfiled, but it didn't work that way...

She turns bitter, yet she wins the "Female entrepeneur of the Year" award

Imagery: Dressed in a blue priestess gown, blond, fair, wearing nice jewerly, a sexy band around her leg, her dressed blown up by the wind. She looks like she summons up things (the columns she has at each side), but that in reality she's just pretending to hold things together

She looks like a politician giving her final campaign speech
(not that good, huh???)

Keywords: Success, wealth and position in the material and social aspects of life, vanity, shallowness, willing to do anything to succeed, puting up a show

Other notes: There is a saying in Spanish "perro que ladra, no muerde..." A dog that barks doesn't really bite (though not in real life anyways.. they all bite! ) but for this purpose u get the analogy: a nice act but there's nothing really to back it up... should be carefull

VerseJunkie

I liked this idea of group journalling a great deal; I learned a lot about both The Fool and The Magician card. It saddens me to see this study group faltering.

Inana

VerseJunkie said:
I liked this idea of group journalling a great deal; I learned a lot about both The Fool and The Magician card. It saddens me to see this study group faltering.
I also like a lot this idea and feel im learning. I dont see many activity in the group, but maybe some people (just like me) go slow in journaling the cards. So dont discourage about the group. Hope it will come to life again...

Kiama

Well, I'll join in on these threads then too!

Card Name/deck: High Priestess, Robin Wood Tarot

First Impression: This woman is studious (Holding book in hand), yet also interested in the occult/psychic arts (Holding crystal ball in other hand). Behind her are a black tree and white tree, either side of her, which seems to denote balance.

Imagery: She wears a light blue gown which gradually fades into a mich darker blue further down, which blends in with the nightsky behind her. This to me represents the hidden aspect of this card, since she is basically 'hidden' in the night sky, which itself is something of a mysterious thing! The colours in this card are very dark: Blacks, purples, and blues, all denoting deep connections, mystery, the future, and psychic stuff. The fact that she holds a book in her hand seems to be saying that what is hidden is knowledge of certain things, possibly the future, considering she also holds a crystal ball. Possibly also women's mysteries, since she herself is a woman, and thic card is ruled by the Moon, which is associated with menstruation: A mystery which itself can cause a person to become closer to their inner nature.

Inner nature... Seems very apt for this card. Our inner nature is veiled (Just like the background of the RWS High Priestess? ~ In this HPS card we see the High Priestess with her back to a veil covered with pomegranates, which obscured the view.) and hidden, and it is a journey undertaken through the rest of the Major Arcana to discover what our true inner nature is. The HPS just makes us aware that it is there.

Keywords: Inner nature, mystery, secrets, secrets of the woman, hidden knowledge.

Kiama

LadyMedusa

Been very busy this past week

I haven't dropped out I have just had a very busy 2 weeks. Kids out on spring break. I will be posting in the next couple of days.

Hi Kiama I look foward to reading your insights here. I'm sure you will give us many ideas to ponder.

LadyMedusa

Inana

The High Priestess

Hi, Kiama! Nice you are joining. :)

1-. CARD NAME/DECK – The High Priestess. (Rider-Waite & Camoin Marseille).
Im using both decks while studying the cards, so what i write its based on one or on the other.

2-. IMPRESSIONS/INSIGHTS
The Priestess is a wise woman of deep knowledge. She is serious, smart and has authority.

She is studious and cultured. In the RW she has a scroll in wich we read “Tora”. Im not sure if its related to Tarot (like in the Wheel of Fortune) or if it can be related to the jews sacred book, because she is also wearing a cross (Christian symbol), has a half moon at his feet (islam) and wears a headdres that remembers lunar phases (paganism) and also the egyptian goddes Hathor. So, maybe all this symbols are meaning she knows about all religions and forms of understanding spirituality.
Returning to Hathor or Athor, she was a celestial godess of love, and often was represented with a cow-head, so in this case, the headdress is representing the sun between two horns, like the Priestess between the two columns in this card. (I know, im rambling here). One of the columns is white and the other black with the letters B and J, so she knows about dark and light energies, or yin-yang. Balance and the need of fussion of the two principles are here.
In Marseille deck she has a book and a hat like the Pope, sign of spiritual power.

In both decks she is sitting. This is a passive attitude, a moment of contemplation and reflection, but not of taking action. The extreme pale skin she has in Marseille points to a closed not outdoors life, she is projected towards inside and interior aspects of life.

The veil at her back hiddes something we dont know, the misteries of life. But we can see the sea there: emotions, water, soul profundities. This is reinforced by the moon, symbol of magick, femity and occult things. In the Marseille the veil is only behind his head, here is her knowledge what remains hiden. Also in this card she looks elder and is looking to the left: the past and the interior world.

She is a solitarious woman, full-time dedicated to her studies and meditation. People goes to her to have advice. The bad aspect here is she learns all through books and studies, but not of her own experience, cause she doesnt move of her place. She has not a real earthly or real life outside.

3-. KEYWORDS
- Feminity. Intuition. Meditation. Contemplation. Knowledge. Magick. Occult.Studying. Understanding.
- Loneliness. Solitude. Passivity. Individualism. Isolation.
- Museums. Culture. History. Antiquity.
- Needing deeper understanding. Needing a guide. Spiritual growth.
-Student. Writter. Intellectual. Counselor. Teacher. Wise woman. Feminist. Single woman.

4-. WHAT THE CHARACTER ON THE CARD SAYS
- Listen to your innerself. The truth is deep inside your soul.
- Knowledge and understanding is power.

Mmmh i have a question about the RW priestess. What mean those letters in the columns? "B" and "J"...

raeanne

Re: The High Priestess

Inana said:
Mmmh i have a question about the RW priestess. What mean those letters in the columns? "B" and "J"...

Hi Inana,
The B and J on the pillars are in reference to the Jewish Temple build during the Old Testament days. You can find it mentioned in the Bible:

1 Kings 7:21
And he set up the pillars in the porch of the temple: and he set up the right pillar, and called the name thereof Jachin: and he set up the left pillar, and called the name thereof Boaz.

2 Chronicles 3:17
And he reared up the pillars before the temple, one on the right hand, and the other on the left; and called the name of that on the right hand Jachin, and the name of that on the left Boaz.

Inana

Hi, Reanne!
Thanks for the info. I was a bit lost with that point. But since im always asking... What's the connection with the Priestess and the Jewish Temple? Will need to take a look at my Bible...
Is fascinating the lot of different references we can find in a card.