Should I order the cards before doing a new reading?

Apollonia

I've read that you should ALWAYS order the cards (from 0 to 22 the Major Arcana and from 1 to 9 the Minor and the court cards in order as well) before doing a new reading, I don't really do it this way, I order my cards once in a while, as well as I smudge my deck once in a while or I put it under the full moon once in a while. But I don't do it always and I've read that ordering the cards is necessary to resetting the energy of the previous reading, specially if reading for other people.

What do ya'll think about this?
It's unnecessary and IMO a waste of time. The new client brings the new energy.

SilverFirePrime

I would only consider doing this if I did a lot of reading with the same deck over the course of a day. Even though each client would being new energy and I would cleanse the deck between readings, I still feel there would be residual energies still in the deck to the abundance of people it read for, and this would be a good way for the deck to get some sleep, in a sense.

Trogon

I use a kind of modified faro shuffle to shuffle my cards. This ensures pretty thorough randomizing. I also will pull out a small group from the deck (5 to 10 or so cards), reverse them and lay them on the top, or the bottom (depending on what "feels right") between shuffles. My modification is that I lay both halves of the deck face down on the table and start from there, instead of holding them entirely in the hands (as the video shows). One of these days I've got to make a video of how I shuffle - it's much easier for handling these large decks.

(Notes; if you're going to learn to do a faro shuffle - learn and practice on regular playing cards or a deck that can be easily replaced! There is a potential for damaging cards when you're learning. Also, be cautious when doing a faro shuffle on very old decks - I split a card in my mother's old Albano-Waite deck. New decks can be problematic as well until the edges get a bit of wear on them.)

Having said all of that. I do not bother re-ordering my decks unless I'm going to be studying them. After I do a reading I put the cards into random places in the deck, then do 2 or 3 shuffles as I already described. When I'm ready to do another reading, I will do 3 or more shuffles (depending on what feels right), then let the client cut the deck. I am reluctant to let clients shuffle - for starters, most people try to riffle-shuffle the decks which bends the cards opposite from what I do. Also, the vast majority of people are not used to handling large cards or decks with more than 52 cards, so there is potential for cards going everywhere, or being damaged.

This is what works for me.

BrownBear

O only reorder when I'm going to store the deck for a while b

Thoughtful

l never bother to reorder my deck. l also do not believe it necessary for my sitter to shuffle the cards. l will pick up their energies as l shuffle, when the reading is finished l shuffle the deck and give it a tap with a quiet thank you.
This is so easy and has never let me or my readings down.

Grizabella

I never re-order my decks. Like---never, ever. :)

As Barleywine said, I deal the cards out into four (or more if you like) then scoop the cards up and overhand two or three times and that's fine. The piles are what completely randomizes the deck and then the two or three times overhand are a really good way to make sure the cards are all mixed in well and then shuffled enough to make sure all the cards fall into the right order for the new sitter and the question.

lantana

Only times I'd re-order a deck:

1) If I wanted a sort of "fresh start", like if I'm going to give a deck some in-depth study or if I felt like I needed to give a deck a really deep cleanse (and since I don't cleanse decks often as is, the latter is pretty rare).
2) Walkthrough on Youtube
3) Selling/trading it

I like my decks well shuffled, and since I can only do overhand it takes 20 minutes of me cutting and shuffling to get a brand new deck the way I like it. So if I re-ordered a deck for every reading, that would get tedious fast. Barleywine's method of shuffling between each client is more what I do.

gregory

Unless for study purposes, I only reorder a deck if I have a nasty suspicion I may have dropped a card... :D

nisaba

I've read that you should ALWAYS reorder the cards (from 0 to 22 the Major Arcana and from 1 to 9 the Minor and the court cards in order as well)

<darkly> you certainly didn't read this from me!

Note: just because someone wrote something down, doesn't make it Holy or Special or even Correct.

Me, I shuffle briefly after every reading. That, plus their previous order, randomises them. If I use a mint-condition deck, it doesn't matter how much I shuffle them, for a while there are always going to be "clumps" of - say - Wand cards or Major cards in numerical order. Which worries me about the relevance of the reading.

So if you don't know what order your cards are in, in the first place, then you shuffle them, you will get a randomised deck that is more likely to throw out the cards you need to see on that occasion.

I reorder my cards once in a while, as well as I smudge my deck once in a while or I put it under the full moon once in a while. But I don't do it always

I don't do it ever. A quick shuffle after a reading closes off everything nicely.

and I've read that ordering the cards is necessary to reset the energy of the previous reading, specially if reading for other people.

Do you believe EVERYTHING you read? I don't. I believe what seems to make sense. So if what I've said here doesn't make sense, don't do it.

SunChariot

I've read that you should ALWAYS reorder the cards (from 0 to 22 the Major Arcana and from 1 to 9 the Minor and the court cards in order as well) before doing a new reading, I don't really do it this way, I reorder my cards once in a while, as well as I smudge my deck once in a while or I put it under the full moon once in a while. But I don't do it always and I've read that ordering the cards is necessary to reset the energy of the previous reading, specially if reading for other people.

What do ya'll think about this?

I don't reorder the deck before reading. Although after using reversals, I will make sure all the cards are facing the same way (and none are still upside down) before putting the deck away. The only time I might reorder the deck is if I felt i wanted to clear the energy for some reason, if things were not reading well for me. It's very very rare that I do it, personally.

I also have never smudged a deck or done anything else but upright the reversed cards, shuffle once or twice, and then put the deck in its pouch and put it away.

There is NOTHING in Tarot that is necessary to do or that you have to do. I'd tend to be wary of any source that tells you that there is something you must do. The cards (or whatever you believe if is that answers through the cards) wants to answer us. If we take out the cards and ask a question it will answer through whatever methods each of us chooses to use. It will adjust itself to answer in accordance with how we choose to do things. That's what my experience over the years has seemed to tell me.

Actually, I'd find it a big bother if I had to reorder the deck each time. When it is in order you have to shuffle a while lot more to randomize the cards. Like with a new deck it can take over 20 shuffles so the cards don't keep coming up in order. With a deck that is already randomized you can shuffle just a few times as you see fit and you're done. So it just makes you more work and no it really isn't necessary, imo. Not to mention all the time it would take each time to reorder it.

Babs