What if you discovered your favourite deck was painted by a Trump supporter?

Annabelle

In answer to the original poster's question -- in truth, I'm still so terribly upset by and sensitive to the whole Trump situation that if I discovered today that my favorite deck was painted by a Trump supporter, I'd put it away and not use it again.

Maybe that doesn't make logical sense, but that's just the way I feel. I despise Trump so much.

On the other hand, there are situations that I feel less "close" to, in which I willingly overlook the proclivities of an artist because I admire their product so much. Case in point -- "Rosemary's Baby." It's one of my favorite movies, though I cannot condone the things that Roman Polanski has done.

G6

Maybe not, but it DOES mean you cannot describe him as a convicted rapist. Because - like it or not - he was NOT convicted.

Parker was acquitted. Celestin was convicted, served time and won an appeal. Which means the state decided not to spend resources ($) to pursue it any further. I haven't spent a whole lot of time on this nor would I, but in my view they were both involved in a gang rape with a woman that was unable to give consent due to black out from intoxication. Again, would not support their art.

See account/timeline here:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/timeline-of-the-nate-parker-rape-scandal.html

gregory

In answer to the original poster's question -- in truth, I'm still so terribly upset by and sensitive to the whole Trump situation that if I discovered today that my favorite deck was painted by a Trump supporter, I'd put it away and not use it again.

Maybe that doesn't make logical sense, but that's just the way I feel. I despise Trump so much.

On the other hand, there are situations that I feel less "close" to, in which I willingly overlook the proclivities of an artist because I admire their product so much. Case in point -- "Rosemary's Baby." It's one of my favorite movies, though I cannot condone the things that Roman Polanski has done.
Isn't that the whole point ? How we FEEL about our decks is utterly personal. Logic doesn't come into feelings. Why do we love ? - who can say ?

Debra

Acquittal doesn't mean you didn't do it in my view.

My comment was to correct the record--you described him as convicted of rape, but this is not true.

Your general point stands just as well if you feel sure that he was guilty despite the acquittal. But he was acquitted, and for some people (including me) that makes a difference.

ETA: the link I gave is a thoughtful account of the issues involved in the case, for anyone interested.

I haven't seen the film, but I will.

darkkittie099

I am with you 100% . I happen to belong to one of the many groups that man has hurt and ridiculed with his rhetoric. It would be great to know the name of the deck so I don't give my money where I don't want to. Just my opinion. The elections are over and I am not trying to start anything with anyone. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DownUnderNZer

I do not think a Tarot Creator and/or Artist should be condemned or held responsible for Trump's actions, doings, and/or short comings.

It is exactly what some people do to the family members of convicted criminals.

Why not instead lash out by not supporting Trump's businesses and block him every step of the way in Politics if you want to make a point and a real difference.

Keep fighting and voicing what you want. It takes an army to move a mountain and in the words of Confucius:

“The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”

So, small steps...small steps...then leaps and strides.

DND :)

DownUnderNZer

Or...leaps and bounds.

I do not think a Tarot Creator and/or Artist should be condemned or held responsible for Trump's actions, doings, and/or short comings.

It is exactly what some people do to the family members of convicted criminals.

Why not instead lash out by not supporting Trump's businesses and block him every step of the way in Politics if you want to make a point and a real difference.

Keep fighting and voicing what you want. It takes an army to move a mountain and in the words of Confucius:

“The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”

So, small steps...small steps...then leaps and strides.

Debra

Yesterday we stopped at a little local coffee shop and finally met the owner, who is an animal lover and has worked hard to make it a nice little place (I was talking with him about some local bird issues). Oh boy, he's got Trump "make America great again" all over the place. From the anti-Hilary news clippings he'd had by the cash register, I knew his politics didn't align with mine-- but hadn't been there in a long time. Anyway, my sweetie and I overhead snatches of the conversation with his buddies (these are older retired fellows) and they were as authentically happy about the changes they hope for as you might imagine. I feel like drinking their (excellent) coffee and listening with my mouth shut is kind of like not flying over the "flyover states"--just listening was closer to a dialog with the "other side" than any I've had since the Republican convention.

SaturnCeleste

(Question for people who didn't vote Trump.) If you found that your main reading deck was painted by someone who voted for Trump, would you still be able to read with it or would the knowledge of the deck creator's political leanings sour the deck?

Would you feel that by buying the deck you were supporting Trump via his supporters in a round about way?

As long as the deck didn't have anything Trump related but was instead a type of deck that attracts me, then sure, I'd buy it. Again, as long it was Trump free, I'd treat it as any of my other decks. I don't hate the Trump supporters, I often feel sorry for them.

But in all honesty I don't buy too many Indie decks. It would have to be truly spectacular with a nice box, free shipping (or low cost shipping) and good guidebook at a reasonable cost for me to even consider it just as I do any Indie deck I buy.

Essjay

I think it's unnecessary to name the artist here. I think the thread-starter just wants to hear our feelings on the conundrum; if it was your favourite deck what would you do etc. The individual doesn't really matter - more our feelings as a way to work out their own?