The Wild Unknown Tarot - IX Cups

Nickigirl

The Wild Unknown Tarot - IX Cups

The 9 full cups are situated in a horseshoe shape with the opening facing upwards, which is good luck (according to my superstitious Gramma who said that if you hang it upside down, the luck drains out).

There is a waning crescent moon above them. This is the phase right before a new moon.

The bottom of the card is blue, the colour of emotions, with red above, the colour of passion.

The card seems to be about emotional fulfilment (full cups and lucky horseshoe) and perhaps the last stage before a new beginning (new moon).

In the RWS this is the "wish card" and perhaps this is echoed in the horseshoe.

I asked what to do to get over an ex and I think the card may be suggesting to concentrate on the good in life, do what feels good and fulfilling, and a new beginning will be right around the corner, full of love and passion. Or perhaps to get back on the horse. LOL

Or, it is advising that you need to let yourself feel the full range of your emotions before you're ready to move on.

Nickigirl

Oh, and the keywords from the instruction page are: BLISS, WISHES GRANTED.

Sulis

Hi Nickigirl,

I really like what you've said about the horseshoe shape that the cups are in. I hadn't thought much of the shape but you're right and my grandma used to say the same thing about horseshoes - upside-down, the luck drains out. Horseshoes were originally thought of as lucky because they were made of iron and nailed above doors to protect against The Fae..

Like many of the cards in this deck, this card gives me a feeling.... It looks so tranquil and blissful so it's interesting to see that one of the keywords in the book is 'bliss'... These cups look as if they're floating in a tropical sea at night.
The colours are so calming and healing (I often visualise blue when I'm doing healing meditations or spells)..
The moon is waning so it shows that things are coming to an end which ties in with the number of this card, 9 and also relates it to The Hermit - self examination, looking how you feel about something and how you've got to this point.

It's a lovely, peaceful, calming card.

Attachments

• 9 Cups.jpg
    9 Cups.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 833

Pixna

This card is so minimalist, and yet it's message comes through so clearly.

I, too, noticed the horseshoe shape (and, yep, we must all share the same grandmother, as mine said the same thing!). Sulis, I also feel that the cups are floating on a calm sea at night and that the card imparts a feeling of calm and bliss.

Nickigirl, like you, I got the message that the horseshoe shape represents emotional fulfillment and, of course, luck. It looks like the cups might be full (I can't tell for certain) with a dark substance just below the brim, which could mean that the emotions are at exactly the right level -- not too little and not overflowing.

I agree that the waning crescent moon seems to say that things are coming to an end -- but that also means new things will be coming forward soon. The card has an overall feeling of introspection, and I appreciate your pointing out its connection to the Hermit, Sulis. It's such a soothing, meditative card. This was my daily draw today, and I'm eager to find out which wish gets fulfilled! :)

Pixna

I forgot to mention that it's interesting that the cups in this card don't have any stems. They appear to be very sturdy -- not easily tipped over. Perhaps this suggests the stability and surety of the wishes they contain.

Sulis

I forgot to mention that it's interesting that the cups in this card don't have any stems. They appear to be very sturdy -- not easily tipped over. Perhaps this suggests the stability and surety of the wishes they contain.

I like that take..
Someone else mentioned the lack of stems in this card and in the X Cups but I couldn't seem to see a significance although I'm sure that there is one.. I really like the notion that these cups are sturdy and stable since they come right at the end of the suit.. The emotions are stabilised..

DaughterOfDanu

I hope no one minds me reviving this study group :) One thing I picked up on, the shape the 9 cups make. It does make a horseshoe shape, but also a cup-like shape. With the level of the blue coloring I see it almost as one's "cup" being full similar to the old saying "Do you view the cup half full or half empty". In this case, the cup is better than half full, it's at it's optimal level. Also I could see it being interpreted as one being emotionally full, in a positive way. The opposite of being emotionally "drained" or "empty" if that makes sense.

Pixna

Thanks for your insights, TreeLeafe! The study threads are always open for fresh views -- they never close. :) I hadn't noticed or thought about the shape of the cups making a cup themselves or how the blue color fills that shape up to the top. That gives me another perspective that I greatly appreciate!

Sulis

I hope no one minds me reviving this study group :) One thing I picked up on, the shape the 9 cups make. It does make a horseshoe shape, but also a cup-like shape. With the level of the blue coloring I see it almost as one's "cup" being full similar to the old saying "Do you view the cup half full or half empty". In this case, the cup is better than half full, it's at it's optimal level. Also I could see it being interpreted as one being emotionally full, in a positive way. The opposite of being emotionally "drained" or "empty" if that makes sense.

Ooh I like that.. I'd noticed that the cups made a U shape but I'd never thought of it as a cup itself but that's such a good insight, as are your thoughts about the liquid filling it..

Good stuff..
I really do find that these sparse images have so much more to give than very detailed scenes.. It's a bit like the difference between a book and a movie - with a book you have to fill everything in yourself with your imagination... This deck is like that for me..

Thanks TreeLeafe and welcome to the study group - revive it as much as you like.. This study group has never really got to the stage where it's dormant and I hope it never does :).