Your Very First Time .......

Inthetree

My very first deck was, technically, a bootleg copy of the Clow Cards oracle that I printed out myself! I must have been 12 or 13 at the time, and I just adored the show Card Captors. I had no idea what tarot really was, besides cards with strange and interesting titles that my mom thought was evil; so they seemed about right to me! A few years later, my parents seperated and I ended up with a lot of time by myself at my dad's apartment downtown. There was a 'new age' kind of shop down there where I spent most of my time the summer I was 15. Eventually I saved up to buy a RWS deck (20$ was a lot of money to me!). I played around with it for a year, feeling very mystical and rebellious; but then I entered a strong Christian phase and threw it out. Less then a year later I was back in that same shop, picking out a new RWS and a few books on Wicca, and the rest was history!

Naneki

My very first deck was the Aquarian Tarot. I was so excited to find it, since I did'nt (and still don't) like Rider Waite deck. I still have my Aquarian that I bought in the eighties. It is very, very worn. LOL

misfitknits

hrrmm... which was my first? i can't remember exactly, as it was almost 12 years ago... but to the best of my knowledge, it was the enchanted. and i loved the look of it. i didn't know way back then, but textiles would become a big love for me later in life. so me and that deck are connected in a weird sort of way. i never was able to actually *learn* the tarot then, i was too young. but it did inspire within me the life-long love of tarot. and 10 years later, it would inspire me to buy another tarot deck and try to learn again. and i did!!

sadly, that deck is gone. and i want to get it again, i just haven't gotten around to it yet. i called all my family members, to see if they had a box of my stuff left over from years ago, but no one had anything. i have a feeling one of them DID have it, and they burned the tarot decks, books and wiccan books!! oh, how i DO cherish my close-minded family!!! :D

Annabloem

my first tarot deck was the tarot of the Gnomes, I bought it about 3 years ago. I saw it in a bookstore, and really loved it, the pictures and the look of it. I had always looked at tarotcards and wicca books when I went to bookstores, so when I finally bought my deck, I was really happy.

OctoberGwen

My first was the Morgan Greer, which I thankfully hung onto all these years - even during a very long no-tarot phase.

I've no idea now where I got it, but I bought it new...I was a teenager, or perhaps even a pre-teen.

At the time, it fit right in with all the other things I was interested in: psychic abilities, ghosts, faeries, Loch Ness, witches, etc.

Not much has changed, really. ;) I'm still interested in all those things. I guess my perspective on Tarot has evolved quite a bit, though.

I remember immediately loving how the cards told me stories.

ETA: Just went back and looked, and saw that I'd already posted in this thread! I'm getting old, folks.

Pam O

My 1st was the Voyager back in the early 90's. I have to say, it's still in brand new condition. So, then I bought the Robin Wood tarot, but the LWB was so black & white, I couldn't read with it.
Then I bought the Osho Zen. At last, a deck I could read without instructions. After a year or two, or who knows, I was able to go back to the Robin Wood and start using it. Those were my main 2 decks for 10 years or so. Even to this date, the Osho Zen and the Robin Wood are the most used looking decks in my collection. Now, I wash my hands before touching any cards, and I ask anyone else who wants to touch my cards to do the same. Today, I'm deep into a Tarot addiction and have lots and lots of decks. I don't know if any I have now have been read as much as those 2, the Osho Zen or the Robin Wood.

As I write this, I realize that Aeclectic is the reason for my addiction. I would read about decks people loved and "needed" to get the deck for myself. Thank you Solandia. This is an addiction I just love, the Tarot! yeh!! :D
Fun thread. Thanks for starting it. :)

Mellaenn

My first deck was a 1JJ that I bought at Spencers Gifts many, many moons ago when I was a teen-ager. I tried to read using the book and the spread sheet that was included, but could never read the pips without looking them up so I just gave up.

Fast forward a decade or two and I saw that there were other decks in existence besides the dreaded 1JJ and so I bought some. Eventually I saw the Gilded and fell in love with that. Hanging out on Aeclectic turned me into a tarot deck monger (though not collector - we have our distinctions here, and I have been known to trade them away when I lose interest, so I am not a true collector.)

Oh, and I still have that 1JJ. I still can't stand reading with it, but I'm too sentimental to trade away a deck that I've had for 40 years.