78 Weeks: Lover(s)

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

galadrial

Blue Rose deck

The wings on the male figure bring to mind "being carried away", or "being transported" by love. The heart behind the figures appears to be comprised of sea shells and makes me think of the primal force that passion is, how it can turn the tides of affairs local to international. Where the shells meet looks a lot like a downward pointing sword. The Bible talks about marriage as cutting yourself away from your parents and becoming one with your beloved. Indeed, friends, family, country may all be cut away if they interfere with the drive to be coupled with the object of our desire, be that a person or occupation- whatever we have so much passion for that we wish to marry ourselves to it. The heart shape also looks like some sort of Sci.Fi. portal in space. I think "falling in" to love is a lot like entering another dimension. Whether we flame out of it spectacularly or stay and grow mellow in it over a lifetime, we will forever be changed for having entered.
I'm guessing the statues are Cupid and Psyche (I have the Blue Rose book now, but don't wish to use it yet:) They have been seen as an allegory for Love and the Soul. Psyche is set some severe trials as punishment for looking openly upon Cupid, who had secreted her away and only been with her in the dark. But Psyche is aided in her "impossible" tasks, Cupid cannot stand to remain parted from her and eventually this union is blessed by Jupiter, who lets Psyche drink from the cup of immortality, and even blessed by Hera, who had originally sent Cupid to make Psyche fall in love with an ugly man in jealousy of her beauty. So, though difficulties abound, ultimately nothing can stand between the union of Love and the Soul.

www.tarotpassages.com/PGLovers2.htm

Imagemaker

HAINDL Lovers

Love/lovers--big topic! Will try to be concise:

1. For all the sexual and passion symbolism this card could mean, Haindl's image is relatively cool and symbolic. It has no eroticism or embracing couple, as in many decks. The naked man and woman hold the golden cup together. A spear comes from above to enter it--a phallic/vulvic image and also with human/spiritual connotations.

2. The card is full of symbols. Besides the rune, astrological symbol, and Hebrew letter that all Haindl's cards have, other symbols are:
--over the woman, the head of a white unicorn (some say the white unicorn is a symbol for Christ)
--over the man, a full-blown red rose--passion and its many ways of expression. Also reminded me of the 1000-petaled lotus of Hinduism.
--a Star of David (those who have read The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown will know he says that the Star's upward triangle connotes male, the downward triangle connotes female),
--two trees--cedars? They're long-lived with dense foliage--good symbols for Love and its dense complexities

3. This card has the white element stripe for air--the Fool and the Magician are the previous majors with white stripes. Made me think of a person who is a Fool for Love and that Love is Magic.

4. The lovers card, like Love and all its facets, has many implications:
--romantic/sexual partnership
--a passionate desire or union (of all kinds)
--a new choice between what was planned and an amazing opportunity (my favorite)
--surface vs hidden desires
--masculine vs feminine principles
--inner vs outer aspects of the Self

This card leaves me relatively cold too :) It offers too many choices for interpretation!

CreativeFire

The Lovers

Again, for this card I am doing my study and comparision on the RWS and Sharman-Caselli deck, as even though this is I guess called a "clone" deck, it is interesting when you get to cards like The Lovers, where there are different images.

RWS

The dominant images in this card are the naked man and woman standing either side, with the angel? above. To me the nakedness of the man and woman depicts the base or exposed emotional aspect. Even though upon research of the images of this card it is also likely to depict the Adam and Eve story or "The Fall" (the fall of humanity from grace and the temptations of the world). The snake in the tree behind the woman fits in with this theme. Upon reading - the tree behind the woman is supposed to be the Tree of Knowledge (with serpent) - unconscious wisdom. Behind the man is the Tree of Life - a black tree with flames as leaves - the flames could represent the fires of desire / passion that burn in all of us.

Working with the balance concept - the fire of passion to be balanced with knowledge and wisdom to achieve or find "true" love - that uplifts the soul (the angel?) - and the sun shining brightly above bringing warmth and fruitfulness.

The "Angel" I found the hardest to associate with - it looks like it has flames in its hair - also has red wings and - read that this could symbolise the difficulty of making a prudent decision when blinded or fanned by flames of desire or sexual attraction. Could also represent that the lovers are looked after by the angel in some way.

Then I noticed that the woman is looking up at the angel - but the man is looking towards to the woman - makes me think she is looking for a "higher" love and he is looking more at the desire aspect - which makes sense with the trees depicted behind each of them.

The mountain in the background, between the man and the woman in the distance, has me intrigued - could not find a mention of it in the books I read up on with this card. Could it signify the rising to new heights, or the heights that the senses can be risen to with the mutual love of a partner.

To me the RWS The Lovers card corresponds to a "mature" love - the combination of passion and desire with knowledge and wisdom - the masculine and feminine combining and overcoming life's trials to achieve a high level of fulfillment. This statement will make more sense as I go into the Sharman-Caselli card.

Sharman-Caselli

The main images that stand out in this card are the cupid in the left hand corner who can fire arrows of both love or hate, down upon the three people - one man and two women. The most dominant expression on the faces of the people is the man holding his chin indicating that he is thinking, trying to make a decision or choice!

A choice between the two women: The fair young maiden dressed in white the colour of innocence and purity or the dark haired older woman dressed in red - the colour of desire and passion. The are standing amidst a garden with red roses - being the flowers of love, passion and desire.

Which upon researching this card further has really opened up a new interpretation for me - where based on the RWS card I always thought of it as like a "mature" love as mentioned above, however upon studying the Sharman-Caselli - it is more about "choice" - the choice of two different women, symbolising two different kinds of love.

Upon researching further found that the Sharman-Caselli Lovers card is apparently more like the traditional cards of old - an immature love - adolescent choice - with its three people in the image. The emergence of sexual urges - also intellectual and moral independence to make the choice between mother love and the new lover. By chosing one (the lover) - he either is going to go into a new direction - new way of life and ideas. If he chooses the safety of his mother's love he will remain in the safety of that environment but lose the potential independence of the relationship with the lover. The change in all of us when we reach a certain age - developing sexuality - sends us on the path to form new relationships - relationships towards love, family, children etc... - growing up.

It could also be more basic in its representation - choice between light and dark (the two women) or innocence and purity vs passion and desire. Desires vs responsibilities.

After doing this study, my understanding has certainly deepened in regards to this card - where now it stands more for choice - still love and desire - but involving some sort of choice and with that comes a sacrifice to some level - leaving one way of life behind to go onto a new. Therefore considering the choice very carefully, weighing up the consequences of your actions in relation to love and desires. The emergence of a new understanding of love and life - and like anything the compromises and sacrifices that go with any relationship - but primarily being ready or in a situation to have to make the choice.

Upon further thinking about this card and the choice aspect between the two women - could it also be representative when in a reading of a choice between an existing established relationship / partner and a new love / relationship / partner - meeting someone new or a new situation or interest - that could make you reconsider your existing relationship or situation. Having to choose between the stable and mature for something new, that firstly may appear innocent but may have deeper consequences in having to leave behind your wife/husband, family and home to be purely driven by your desires or the freshness of something new.

Has been a very enjoyable week focusing on these cards, and also very enlightening. Am looking forward to reading the other threads for additional views and insight.

CreativeFire

galadrial

Hi CreativeFire,

I found one mention of the mountain in "The Complete Book of Tarot" by Juliet Sharman-Burke. She says, "the Angel holds out his arms as if to draw the pair together, for only together can they reach the mountain that stands between them. The mountain has to be climed to reach its peak, and each partner has an equal distance to travel to obtain harmony with the other, symbolized by the mountain. There are important choices to be made at ground level before the journey can commence. It seems as if the couple, wishing to journey towards a life of harmony together, have to make choices and be prepared to leave the safety of the garden in which they innocently stand." The idea that the mountain represents the life journey that they may choose to embark upon together is intriguing. What exactly is the "peak"? Marriage is supposed to make a pair "one flesh"; perhaps the peak is when they also act with one mind and one will, and the climb implies the work that it takes to reach that degree of unity.

Jewel-ry

The Crystal Tarot
First impressions of this card are simple, two lovers. As usual I had to look really carefully to eek out any other potential meanings.

There are opposites in this card. The man stands with his foot firmly planted on the ground. She, on the otherhand, has her feet hidden beneath her dress. His attire is baggy, with loose sleeves, could this mean he wants no ties? It is brightly coloured, purple and blue. Hers is tighter fitting and mostly pastel shades. He has his eyes open, hers are shut. He appears to me to be a man of groundedness, reason, logic, passionate but carefree. Is he living for the moment? She is looking for a different love, a higher love. One, in which she can give her all and it will be reciprocated. The sun shines big and powerful in the sky, a symbol of masculinity. The silver birch trees represent the feminine principal, love and hope. At one time girls would give the love of their lives twigs from the silver birch as a sign of encouragement. The walled city in the background and the fact that the couple stand in the shade of the trees makes me wander if there is a secret rendezvous going on here, but it maybe my imagination is carrying me away.

Haindl Tarot

Imagemaker has already given you a good feel for this card but I have a few things to add. I do see this card more as a union between two people than many other lover cards. The cup/spear, the Star of David, which incorporates the male/female triangles, the masculine/feminine principals, all, signify union. Both the man and the woman share their hold of the cup. The unicorn can represent the sword and this cards hebrew letter is zain, also meaning sword, so I think its important that the issue of communication and joining of the mind is considered as well as the body. One other point, the couple are nude on this lovers card, which says to me ‘this is me, take me as I am, I have no secrets’. There is a basic Adam and Eve quality about this card.

Hadar

This card is wonderful. I have had to work really hard on this as well. I have had so many different thoughts about this, but they all amount to the same thing – choice. The man stands with his feet pointing outwards towards each woman. At first I thought the women were arguing over him but now I think they represent different processes. The woman on his right looks older, at first I kept thinking of maturity, must be his mother but then I began to think about maturity as representing a way of thinking. She wears a red dress of the mundane world – reasonable and sensible. This is his first choice – to be sensible, take no risks. The younger woman on his left wears red flowers in her hair, passion? And blue attire, the blue of emotions. She points to his heart and I think she is telling him to follow his heart. His robe is multicoloured, again showing his options. The lesson here is that the smoothest route, the sensible one, is not necessarily the way to go. Sometimes you learn more through taking the harder, more difficult route.

J :)

Majecot

The Lovers

Quest

This card seems to have a lot going on with it. I had difficulty this week with study. I am not really sure why, if it is the cards themselves or if I have overwhelmed myself with projects.
In the center of this card is a couple embracing, kissing the figures are torsos in a liquidy gold. Above the couple is a light heart-shaped cloud with a rainbow of colors in the center of the sky is the three sets of united symbols for gay, lesbian and heterosexual relationships. Beneath them are the two joined rigs and the tree of life symbol. On either side is two alters, one with a sun and moon with the sword on top. And the other with the ying yang and a cup on the alter. This card has many twos. There are two trees, two mountains two cupids. Definitely a card of love it gives me the impression of the entrance to the Garden of Eden. I have difficulty connecting to this card, however beautiful. It has a brightness to it that is distracting to the figures and other symbols that are on the card.

Rohrig

This card has couple that appears to be in a relaxed comfortable slumber, entwined with each other. There isn’t a lot of symbolism going on here, just two people under a blanket of stars. As always the words on the paper reaffirming the meaning of the card
“True love, attraction, approach, connection, uniting of differences. (As always, due to my poor eyesight I must get the magnifying glass, I can remember when I could read those words with out it)
I have a deeper connection to this card, I think because this is the very first deck I ever saw, and used. When I look at this card I feel the love and the warmth, as well as the connection between the two individuals. This is a merging of two into one, Going after your hearts desire, relationships, the process of becoming whole. This card was easier to focus on as it is not as busy as the Quest card.

I turn to the book for the Hebrew letter Zain-sword, the rune symbol ken- meaning torch or light.

I am hoping to get my focus back for next week ;)

CreativeFire

Thanks Galadrial - for sharing this info. It certainly does make excellent sense of the mountain (and the angel), and brings me further understanding with this card. I will have to keep an eye out for this book "The Complete Book of Tarot" by Sharman-Burke, as I have her "Mastering the Tarot", but it did not make mention of a meaning for the mountain.

Cheers
CreativeFire

Major Tom

I've studied the card from as many different versions of the Marseilles tradition as I could find.

I'm convinced that the title of the card in English should be Love because of the ambiguity of the title in French.

During the week I investigated the story of Cupid and came to the conclusion that of the human figures the woman on the card's left is the mother of the central figure and the woman on the right is the central figure's wife or intended. I think we are witnessing to moment when the son leaves his mother to live with his wife. We see the various expressions of love between them all. We see the choices that have been made.

Attachments

• vi love.jpg
    vi love.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 152