78 Weeks: Queen of Deniers/Coins

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Queen of Pentacles

continuing on posting my notes for the 78 study :)

Queen of Pentacles

Taking a bit of a different approach on this suit court card as to what I have for the last several cards. Being a court card and I sometimes try and associate the personality type to a friend or family member so for the Queen of Pentacles I could see many qualities here that my Mum has. :)

She has always been a very down to earth person, practical and resourceful, in making a house a warm and loving home. Also a very giving person, emotionally and materially to help out her loved ones whenever they need it, often putting herself second, as she thinks of others sometimes before herself. Also I thought about how this card applied to her work / career many years ago before she retired and as she was a nursing sister, this also fits - looking after others, caring and helping.

She has also always been a very trusted friend and mother to me, but also someone you can talk to you with your problems and you know that she will keep your confidences and offer good practical advice. I have seen this over the years as well for her own friends, as my mum is the one they seem to turn to when things just need talking out - even my friends ring up to talk things over with her! lol So to me, Mum is a Queen of Pentacles, who now in her late 70's, still is the solid, loving and nurturing parent that I have been blessed to have. :)

CF

gregory

Queen of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Green, nature, a welcome change from the men who went before in this deck !
From the artist’s website
Upright
[interpretation]

She is a warm hearted woman surrounded by luxury and wealth. She gives from her wholesome heart for the pleasures of the body.

Reversed
She is wild like the wind and cares for nothing but herself. Everything is about her, for her and to be done by her.

Images and Symbolism
The queen here is like the lesser version of the empress. She too has the world at her grasp as she is one with nature and at one with all those around her. Her gentle and trusting gaze shows the kindness in her heart.
She is flanked by two pillars of support and crowned by a throne of roses reflecting her caring nature and natural beauty.

The reversed queen is moved by the wind. Much like her, it is a force of nature which can cause destruction as it travels through the lives of many. She consumes for pleasure and her own enjoyment.
She is barely covered indicating the ease she has within herself of her own body and the ease which others may have to it too.

Colour: gold and green - the colour of royalty and of healing and nature
Traditional meanings
Upright:

She is sensible and has a good head for business. She loves splendour and ostentation. She is lavish in her affections.
Reversed:
She is grasping and selfish, and misuses her wealth
My impressions:
Upright
In a green and “natural” background a calm woman, draped also on green, sits with her arm resting on a golden globe (it could even be the world) with a pentacle carved on it. She almost seems to be sitting in a green flower; there are pillars built from rough green stone either side of her, and a rose or pomegranate tree behind her.
Reversed
This woman also rests her arm on the globe – but her clothes are wild and partly missing and her hair is dishevelled. She may even be screaming; her mouth is open. Leaves and stones seem to be flying away from her.

My take
A stark contrast between have and have not, I think. The upright queen – like the Empress – is fertile and has everything; money, nature, security. She is perhaps a little dull, but she is generous and well meaning. By contracts the reversed image seems to have lost control; everything is flying away form her, and she shouts out in rage or desperation. Maybe she is being punished; she seems to have no say – but perhaps deserves everything she gets. She has wasted what resources she has and the consequences are beginning to come home to her.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

cherryberry

aahh well, the Queen of Pents....I recently had her in a reading and got a very different view then 'ususally' Suddenly, she seemed a bit sad to me. Yes, she seem to have everything (in my Sharman-Caselli as well as in my new favourite deck of the Holy Grail) it shows a person seemingly in wealth.

Sharman-C.
She sits on a throne, in a large field, flowers, no boundaries, wealth displayed in the clothes she is wearing, massive coin in her hands...still, it appears a bit too much

Holy Grail:
Shows a large table with so much food wine, she appears in a picture, almost as a holy person, like Maria maybe. And again I get the same feeling I wanted to express in my first sentence
Everything 'seems' fine, she has everything which 'should' make her happy, even more, but inside, it is not what she wants. In the Sharman-C. she is overloaded with clothes and teh coin is that big, it must be a burden for her. In the holy grail, she seems like on a shrine.

It all seems passively locking her in, and she is not yet aware of it. Like, this position is all she was longing for in the past, she got it, it went even further - more that she dreamt of, and then suddenly - she is missing her emotional freedom, too much focus on stability, material goods, nothing for her spirit and spirituality.

rebecca-smiles

Can i join in? this isn't a sign-up to thing is it? push me off if it is but I'll have a bash anyway.

RWS Queen of pentacles.

I understand what some people say about her being burdened with material comfort, but i'm not convinced she is.
In the RWS she has that wry smile of the Mona Lisa. calm, content and knowing.
It seems that as a queen (water) she takes on the shape of her element, just as water takes on the shape of its environment. Although there is perhaps a stifled feeling for someone looking at this card; with so much colour and detail she is almost up-staged by her surroundings, yet she looks content where she is. She is enjoying being in a fixed element, any constraints that we see are her comfort. Boundaries are of her own happy making. She is invigoured and inspired by what others see as mundane. To me it does not seem that excesses are ever going to be a burden to her - If anything the king looks more burdened in this deck, with the responsibility of his rule over the material realm.

With the empress there is abundance, but with a stronger sense of shareing - she enjoys having and having others indulge with her, so she gives everything away; the Empress will blow her bonus on her friends in one night. With the queen of pentacles, there is a sense of accummulation, as though there are vast resources but only expending what must be, not a lack of generosity or emotion, there is little momentum or flow to her giving or feeling because the earth is holding it still:it pools.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Queen of Disks

First impressions

A mature woman dressed in bronze robes sits on something that seems to have the texture of a pineapple skin. She holds a massive globe decorated with interlaced circles in her left arm. In her right a wand with a cube-shaped jewel containing a hexagram at its tip. Around her are massive palm leaves. She has a headdress with huge striped horns. She looks away from us, into the card, at a landscape with a winding river and groups of palm trees. In front of her, looking out at us, stands a rather cross looking goat.

From the Book of Thoth
The Queens represent the letter Heh of the Name. They are the complements of the Knights. They receive, ferment, and transmit the original Energy of their Knight. Quick to receive that Energy, they are also fitted to endure for the period of their function; but they are not the final product. They represent the second stage in the process of creation whose fourth and last state is material realization. They are represented as seated upon thrones. This emphasizes the fact that they are appointed to exercise definite functions.
QUEEN OF DISKS
The Queen of Disks represents the watery part of Earth, the function of that element as Mother. She rules from the 21st degree of Sagittarius to the 20th degree of Capricornus. She represents passivity, usually in its highest aspect.

The Queen of Disks is throned upon the life of vegetation. She contemplates the background, where a calm river winds through a sandy desert to bring to it fertility. Oases are beginning to shew themselves amid the wastes. Before her stands a goat upon a sphere. There is here a reference to the dogma that the Great Work is fertility. Her armour is composed of small scales or coins, and her helmet is adorned with the great spiral horns of the markhor. In her right hand she bears a sceptre surmounted by a cube, within which is a three- dimensional Hexagram, and in her left arm is curved her proper disk, a sphere of loops and circles interlaced. She thus represents the ambition of matter to take part in the great work of Creation.

Persons signified by this card possess the finest of the quieter qualities. They are ambitious, but only in useful directions. They possess immense funds of affection, kindness, and greatness of heart. They are not intellectual, and not particularly intelligent; but instinct and intuition are more than adequate for their needs. These people are quiet, hard-working, practical, sensible, domesticated, often (in a reticent and unassuming fashion) lustful and even debauched. They are inclined to the abuse of alcohol and of drugs. It is as if they could only realize their essential happiness by getting outside themselves.
If ill dignified, they are dull, servile, foolish; they are drudges rather than workers. Life for them is purely mechanical; and they cannot rise, or even seek to rise, above their appointed lot.

In the Yi King, the watery part of Earth is represented by the 31st hexagram, Hsien. This has the meaning: Influence. The commentary describes the effect of moving various parts of the body, from the toes to the jaws and tongue. This is rather an amplification of what has been said above than an exact correspondence; yet there is no discordance. The general advice is to go forward quietly without overt attack upon existing situations.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Queen of Disks = watery part of Earth or fertility. She is throned amid vegetation and crowned with the spiral horns of the Markhor. Her sceptre is surmounted by a cube, and she holds her proper Disk - a sphere of circles and loops. She typifies ambition of matter to take part in the work of creation.
Also:
Every symbol in this picture suggests the fertility and warmth of earth.
Banzhaf says she is sitting on a pineapple shaped throne – so I’m not as mad as I thought ! He sees her as actively observing the river in the landscape, and says it represents the divine current of life. It certainly makes the land fertile. The landscape he describes as a desert, representing deprivation and loneliness, with the oases showing the “succulence of reproduction and life”.
The Queen herself he refers to as impregnated. I’m not sure why. He points to he “armour” made up of small coins – which forms her bodice – and says it underlines the fact that she strives for the material and also indicates her security. The goat, he says, stands on a globe (I have to say that doesn’t look like a globe to me, though Snuffin also calls it an orb.) and is Amalthea, an aspect of the Great Mother; she is the goat who suckled Zeus.
Banzhaf says that the interlaced circles on her disc represent the cycles of menstruation and of the seasons – symbolic of the eternal. Her wand, with the hexagram, represents the trinities of spirit and of matter, intertwined. Snuffin point out that the wand is a combination of the traditional wands of the King and Queen of disks, and the cube containing the hexagram signifies the Earth - so that the whole represents the earth’s fertility as bright about by the influence of the Sun. Snuffin says that the orb she has in her left arm is the sun, and represents passivity (the moon) expressed in its highest aspect (the Sun). This, he says, is shown b the fact that there are 13 interlocking rings on it; 13 is the path of the Priestess and the Moon, complementary to Water and reflecting the sun’s light. I admit that I am still working on that one…
The horns on her headdress are those of the Markhor – which I had to look up – it’s a wild mountain goat from the Indian continent, which Crowley may have seen in his travels. The word itself means “snake eater” and may therefore refer to oral sex; the horns also symbolise masculine energy.
Snuffin gives each card a “key concept” and this one is “Looking into the past”. Mostly I haven’t found these helpful, but this interested me.
DuQuette fins this card beautiful and her dress deserving of examination with a magnifying glass… He points out that when Crowley says
She thus represents the ambition of matter to take part in the great work of Creation.
that makes her a real force to be reckoned with. He goes on, though, simply to list people who fit the many ways this card can be seen. He also says that when Crowley says that people signified by this card are
not intellectual, and not particularly intelligent; but instinct and intuition are more than adequate for their needs.
he was “having us on” at one level. I can’t see why he’d think that. Instinct and intuition are massively powerful things. Intellect and intelligence can be very over-rated.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman) Represents the watery part of earth. A woman ambitious in useful directions, affectionate and kind, charming, timid. practical, quiet and domesticated. III-dignified: Dull. Servile. Foolish. Capricious. Prone to debauch and moodiness.

DuQuetteShe is impetuous, kind; timid, rather charming; great-hearted; intelligent, melancholy; truthful, yet of many moods. If ill-dignified she is undecided, capricious, changeable, foolish.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
QUEENS
The element of Queens is water and, not surprisingly, they are a reflection of the Empress. In this they signify the creative force. That which nurtures, slakes thirst and helps things to grow.

When Queens appear they signal a time of growth and development, a time when the querent is making things real.
Queen of Pentacles

As a development: Making real a business, altering a work situation, or developing an exercise or health plan.

As an adult woman: This is the practical, down-to-earth woman. She might, in fact, be an Earth Mother type going for organic living, home gardens, and making her own home improvements, or a farmer's wife, tending chickens, knitting sweaters and canning jams. But she could also be one of the rich and famous.

Rich or not, it is likely that she also owns her own successful business, be it cookies she bakes at home and sells at local coffee houses, a small shop or a multi-national corporation. Her accounting is scrupulous, but that doesn't mean she's afraid to spend. She loves beautiful things and, if she is on the wealthy side, will spare no expense to decorate her homes with the perfect paintings, furniture, and trinkets. Her wealth and taste will be evident in her dress, jewelry and make-up as well.

An enthusiastic outdoors woman, she's always encouraging friends and family to exercise, and she loves her outdoor gardens as much as her indoor home. As in work, nothing less than giving her all to her family will do for the Queen of Pentacles. She wants them to have the best so they can succeed. Her children may not have the best, but they will never want; they will appreciate that their mother works hard to make sure they get what they need, and that their family is steeped in good values and traditions. The Queen of Pentacles expectations may put a lot of pressure her children, more than she realizes.

Also, this Queen's pragmatism, her dislike of anything strange or distasteful, may exclude anything unique or imaginative - solutions as well as people. Even as an unconventional Earth Mother type, the Queen of Pentacles will want her children to fit in with her community, its values and traditions. Her children or partner may feel that they can't be themselves and still be loved.

At her best, however, this is the Queen of success. She has the patience, good sense and determination to make things happen. She knows how to make dreams a reality.

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
It comes over to me as desperately sad. Which was why Snuffin’s key concept interested me for once. Almost as though the horns are just too much weight for her to bear. The goat at the front looks irritable, and she is trend away form it; suggesting she isn’t wild about it. She’s all bronze and he and the landscape and her throne are all green – she is, in a way, apart.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
I would see it rather as loss, sorrow, or a longing for something else. I can’t see Wasserman and Duquette’s “ambition” – unless it’s frustrated ambition. I think it is – as I said – a desperately sad card.

jackdaw*

Queen of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
My favourite card. Back when I first started reading Tarot, based on what I’d read, I thought it was vitally important that I use a significator in any spread. And while astrologically I am a Fire sign and should have associated with the Queen of Wands, the Queen of Pentacles is me. And I’ve identified with it ever since. I joke that it’s because I was born prematurely and was supposed to be born under an Earth sign (of course I don’t know anything about astrology, if it “works” like that).

There are other versions I like better. The Robin Wood Tarot (of course) is the most beautiful and I think best captures her essence, and I love the majestic and somewhat aloof contemplation of the Morgan Greer Tarot’s version. And the Full Moon Dreams Tarot’s version, an elderly peasant lady in kerchief and apron carrying a bundle of sticks against a background of Ukrainian Easter eggs, was the main reason I bought that deck when it first came out, it was so perfect. But the Rider Waite is the one I first learned, and is the one in question here. And it ain’t bad, either.

This Queen sits on a gray stone throne carved with florid patterns of fruit and cherubs and goat heads and such under an overarching spray of red rosebush that hints at a bower against a yellow sky. She’s outdoors, with scrubby grass or sandy earth underneath. There’s a confusion of greenery around her. Not a profusion, like it’s not overgrown or anything, but it’s more like the edge of a clearing than an organized field or garden. Red flowers grow around the throne’s base. A reddish-brown rabbit runs nearby. A valley is seen behind her, with a wide river running through it and what I take to be yellowing autumn trees. But nothing quite so neat as the plowed fields of the Knight and Page of this suit. I guess she leaves that to the kids. Blue mountains in the background.

The Queen of Pentacles herself wears a very simple and unadorned red gown over a white long-sleeved underrobe. It’s an interesting combination that stands out because it makes us think so unavoidably of the Magician’s attire. Especially against a yellow sky. But it’s not open at the front, the red gown, like his is; rather it’s sleeveless and full, with a V neck seemingly held together by a tie of some sort. The long sleeves of the white underrobe, at least the one I can see, are cuffed by a gold band. It seems she wears a green cloak over it, thrown back from her shoulders and extending to her feet. But it’s actually a veil, coming from her pillbox-like crown. It’s boxy and gold and reminds me of the Emperor’s crown. It’s topped by something that looks like a golden head flanked by red wings. She sits with her red-shoed feet close together and her head bent to take in the large gold pentacle on her lap. Her complexion and hair are dark, at least as dark as Pamela Colman Smith seems to make any of her characters. Her expression is calm, a little serious, but I think quietly pleased at what she sees.

What does she see, anyway? Not the rabbit, or roses, or the view over the valley. But her gaze is solely on the big golden pentacle in her lap. It rests on one knee, and one hand cups the bottom while the other steadies it carefully. It’s obviously precious to her.

I always thought that this Queen, more than any of the Queens, is interested solely in the physical world. She focuses on what’s outside, on things and surroundings, rather than thoughts and feelings and energies. The nature of the suit of Pentacles. And I think really that it’s that with which I most identify. A disinclination to look beyond the physical and tangible, a concern with comfort and security and material enjoyment.

Creator’s Notes
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot Waite says:
Waite said:
The face suggests that of a dark woman, whose qualities might be summed up in the idea of greatness of soul; she has also the serious cast of intelligence; she contemplates her symbol and may see worlds therein.
“Greatness of soul”; I like this a lot. Because of all the queens, the Queen of Pentacles was always supposed to be the least conventionally beautiful of the lot. She was instead the big lady, in every sense of the word. A full-figured, voluptuous woman, Mother Earth. And big in soul and spirit to match it. Her serious expression I usually assumed however to represent more intentness than intelligence, but I’ll take it. She’s intent on her pentacle; as Waite says, she sees worlds therein.

Others’ Interpretations
As far as divination goes, Waite says:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Opulence, generosity, magnificence, security, liberty. Reversed: Evil, suspicion, suspense, fear, mistrust.
Upright meanings? Suits her to a T. Reversed? Well, I don’t know … but I don’t think much of Waite’s reversed interpretations anyway. And I didn’t even back when I used reversals.

Another interpretation says:
paranormality.com said:
Upright - A capable and practical businesswoman, who enjoys her material comforts. She has a responsible attitude to her wealth and uses it to advance the fortunes of those in her inner circle. She is neither particularly bright nor insightful, but has depth of feeling, with an appreciation of life's pleasures.
As a Queen of Pentacles myself I take exception to being called not particularly bright, but I can’t argue with the rest of it :laugh:

Symbols and Attributes
Astrologically the Queen of Pentacles is represented by Capricorn, an Earth sign that falls just after the start of Winter. Capricorn is a tenacious, practical, purposeful and steady sign, ruled by Saturn. Saturn’s influence brings a careful maintenance of material resources, earthly authority, and also speaks of inherited qualities and family structure, according to Sandra A. Thomson. Represented by a goat with the tail of a fish in the zodiac, Capricorn represents very well the blending of Earth and Water that the Queen of Pentacles (the Water of Earth) embodies. As feminine elements, Water and Earth complement one another with their receptive and nurturing energies. Water and earth are the two aspects most commonly considered when trying to make things grow. Because that’s what this Queen makes me think of - making things grow. Nurturing and developing things (children, gardens, projects, ideas) and making them grow.

Of the four Queens, I think she is the one who most closely recalls the aspects of the Empress. Both are Earth signs, both are lush and depicted in comfortable clothing in the midst of growth and nature. The implication is that the Queen of Pentacles is the one who best brings the Empress’ bountiful energy to the mundane plane. While the Empress represents creating life and life force, the Queen of Pentacles is the one who one can picture raising and feeding and clothing and disciplining the life she has brought forth.

She might share the attributes of the Empress, but I think appearance-wise she more closely resembles other archetypes from the Major Arcana. She is dressed like the Magician, in white with red over it, framed by overhanging roses against a yellow sky. Rachel Pollack suggested their connection to be:
Pollack said:
Where the Magician manipulates the forces hidden in the world, the Queen of Pentacles joins herself to those forces, allowing them to flow through her into her daily life.

The red and white attire they share are strong alchemical colours. Red for rubedo, or reddening - the final stage of the alchemical Magnum Opus - and white for albedo or whitening, for purification. I don’t know a thing about alchemy, and I think this is more for the Magician than the Queen of Pentacles anyway, but it must be more than a coincidence that they both wear these colours. So let’s look at what they might mean for both of these cases. Albedo progresses into rubedo, the inner Light becomes the Spirit, which is reborn. A phoenix is often used to represent this, which is also red.

Alchemy aside, white is almost always considered a colour of purity. And red, being the colour of blood, is the colour of life and passion. Representing the blood of Christ in Christianity, it also represents rebirth. So the two together are a powerful Christian emblem. They represent the meeting of the spirit with the will.

So what does this mean for the Queen of Pentacles? Well, if we look at the purity of her intentions, and how it meets the strength of her will and determination, this might account for it. And the same might be said for the Magician.

Some have suggested that she bears more than a passing resemblance to the Emperor as well - both wear red, have goats (or rams) as their emblems on their thrones, and wear similarly shaped crowns. Why? Well, I think the Queen of Pentacles, as one who is very focused on her physical world, her home and hearth, is protective of it, and watchful for that which might threaten this precious security and comfort. She shares this with the Emperor.

Maybe I’m being obsessive (ya think? :laugh: ), but I am interested in why her red overrobe is the way it is. Why that V neck with the tie or band across it. And all this bit about alchemy clicked on the light. A V or triangle, point down, crossed by a horizontal line? It’s the alchemical symbol for Earth, for her suit’s element. Right over her breastbone. Now, I know even less about chakras than I do about alchemy (man, the stuff I end up digging into with this deck!), but wikipedia tells me this is roughly the area of her anahata or chest chakra. It’s represented by the colour green of growth and Earth, and according to wikipedia:
wikipedia said:
Key issues involving Anahata involve complex emotions, compassion, tenderness, unconditional love, equilibrium, rejection and well-being. Physically Anahata governs circulation, emotionally it governs unconditional love for the self and others, mentally it governs passion, and spiritually it governs devotion.
Now that’s nice. I see many of these elements pertaining to the Queen of Pentacles. And the Earth symbol superimposed over this area would tie these aspects back to the practical grounded aspect of the Pentacles. Equilibrium on the physical plane - a comfortable middle ground. I can see her unconditional love for her family and loved ones expressing itself in practical and comforting ways. The type of mother who’d bring you your favourite cookies when you’re sad, if not talk about your feelings. All aspects of the anahata chakra are tempered by Earth’s pragmatic and down-to-earth approach.

Moving on! Her shoes are red, and planted firmly on the ground. It emphasizes that while she has passion, confidence and strength of will, it is firmly grounded in practicality. They’re not covered by her gown, either, indicating that she is practical and ready to rise at a moment’s notice to deal with anything, unhampered by long and fancy impractical clothing. Her passions are grounded but she can act on them if moved to do so. Her pillbox crown, in addition to recalling that of the Emperor, reminds me of something structural and practical. It’s topped by a winged goat’s head; at least that’s what we’re told. This is spelled out in Book T as prescribed headgear for the Queen of Pentacles in Golden Dawn decks. It looks vaguely like a phoenix to me, which could bring us back to that alchemical rubedo can of worms if I let it, but I’ll go with what Book T has to say. The crown also holds a long green opaque veil that extends under the Queen to the ground. Green is the colour of growth and fertility and is commonly associated with her suit. But notice that long as it is, the veil doesn’t cover the red and white. Her passion, her singularity, are still prevalent. And the fact that it doesn’t cover her, that the veil is thrown back and behind her, shows that she has no secrets, no hidden layers. No, this is a Queen who lives in the present and in the open.

She sits on her throne and holds her pentacle securely. Her whole posture is attentive to it; she stoops or bends her neck slightly toward her treasure. It emphasizes her focus, her attention on it, her protectiveness of her assets and her material security. Me, I like it. I myself tend to stoop or slouch (I have rotten posture; I blame it on having bad hearing and a best friend growing up who was eight inches shorter than me!), so I like to see this in “my” card.

Now on to the throne itself. It’s gray; either stone for the element of Earth and stability, or silver as has been suggested to emphasize the monetary connection of Pentacles. I prefer the stone theory better. It’s more stolid and practical, like the Queen herself, and ties to the Golden Dawn title for this card, the Queen of the Thrones of Earth. The throne is comfortable-looking with a high back. I can’t see beneath her green veil, but if asked I would assume that the seat is cushioned. Even if not, sitting on her veil gives a little more comfort. Because this Queen lives in the physical world, and is fond of creature comforts. The throne is carved with symbols of fruitfulness, abundance, fertility - apples, pears, leaves, cherubs or small children - as well as a goat’s head to underline the Capricorn connection.

Hanging over the Queen and her throne is a bower of roses. Just like in the Magician. Roses represent desire and passion, particularly when red. But tamed into an overhanging arch as they are, they show that the Queen of Pentacles has her sensuality in check, that she is passionate but is not ruled by her senses and instincts in this way; her desires are tamed and under control. Shaped as they are into the suggestion of an archway, they can also represent a triumphal arch, indicating all that the Queen of Pentacles has achieved, and celebrates what she has.

The land on which her throne sits is a little scrubby, I think. Not full putting-green rich grass, nor arable plowed earth, but somewhere in between. The grass is sparse, and it makes me think of the tall and sharp grass that grows just at the outer edges of a sandy beach. Where Earth meets Water. Red flowers around the edges might be more crudely drawn roses, but I think more of the wildflowers that we saw around the Page of Pentacles’ feet. But while the Page was oblivious to them, I like to think that the Queen can see them, can sense their beauty, from her peripheral vision. She’s not insensible to the beauty of nature, for all that she seems to look so intently at her pentacle.

Off to one side, just in the grass, is a brown rabbit. It’s an old Earth symbol, and represents fertility. Fast to breed and bear litters, it’s not for nothing they say that people might go at it like rabbits (or, as MercyMe put it in a thread discussing the card, “f&$! like bunnies.”)! It emphasizes the earthly sexuality of the Queen of Pentacles, and the sexual appetites she works to keep in check.

Behind her, a valley with a river running through it and blue mountains in the distance. The valley represents something that she can look over, indicating that she sees all and is a full overseer of her physical domain. She keeps a close eye on everything. The trees in the valley below seem to be turning brown and orange and yellow, an autumnal scene. I always considered that autumn and Pentacles went hand in hand; the time of harvest and the suit of fruitful prosperity, of reaping what you have sown. The river running through it ties this card to the Empress, whose river runs directly behind her. In this case, and with the blue mountains of spiritual quest and accomplishment, it shows how far she’s come. And how far she still has to go.

The yellow sky behind her is representative of contentment and intelligence. So there, for the Queen of Pentacles not being overly bright!

My Interpretations
Well, the Queen of Pentacles is sexier than I thought! She’s got the strong physical (ie, sexual) appetite of the suit of Pentacles, fond of the pleasures of the flesh. The breeze on her face, the heady scent of the roses, the comfort of luxurious fabrics against her skin, the gleam of her golden pentacle in the daylight, the juiciness of ripe fruit, and, yes, the tactile pleasure and release of sex.

But she’s practical, this Queen. Well grounded. With her feet firmly planted in the dirt, she doesn’t lose herself in enjoyment of these things. She knows there’s a time and a place for such matters, and now might not be the time. To achieve these comforts, to afford the luxury of time to sit under the roses, to afford to buy the soft fabrics and golden pentacle, she has had to work hard. And so if she wants to indulge a little, who can naysay her? Although she’s at rest now, the Queen of Pentacles really has boundless energy to create, to build, to maintain, and the willpower to create it and keep it running. And with the hard work she’s willing to put into it, everything she touches turns to gold.

With the Water element meeting the Earth element in this card, there’s a great deal of feminine energy about her; borrowing from the Empress she so closely resembles, this takes the form of nurturing. The Queen of Pentacles is very good at nursing things along. Children, yes, but also gardens, homes, finances and projects. Because when the practical and financial aspects of the suit of Pentacles come into play, the nurturing of the Queen focuses on practical advice and work rather than the warm and fuzzies. She aims for tangible results, on nurturing with a practical goal in mind. A well-adjusted family with healthy and well-schooled children (and a satisfied husband, given her appetites!), a bumper crop, a clean and comfortable home, a tidy nest egg for retirement, a promotion at work or a new contract for the business she runs herself. Whatever she turns her hand to, the Queen of Pentacles is prepared to put a lot of hard work into, and the results are very good.

If this card came up in a reading that doesn’t pertain to actual people, I would see it as relating to projects and ideas that need shepherding, that need time and attention to come to fruition. Being a Pentacles card, they would relate to tangibles: matters of money, property, work and possessions.

As advice I would take it in one of two ways. First, it may advise a querent to take time out; if you’ve been working hard, don’t forget to take time out. Stop and smell the roses. Alternately, it may remind you that these perks - the throne, the clothes, the roses - don’t come for free. Don’t forget to put in the work that’s necessary to achieve what you want in life.