78 Weeks: Three Swords

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Three of Swords

The three piercing daggers through the heart - pain, sorrow, heartbreak are immediate thoughts with this card but then I started thinking of it from a slightly different angle in that the sometimes 'the truth hurts' and can strike right to the 'heart of a matter'. Is this what the lady in the 2 of Swords was blinding and protecting herself from - the potential emotional hurt. From a relationship perspective, it is often the ultimate realisation of 'some truth' about a person or situation that may cause a person (or the other) to leave - and then the hurt feelings, disappointment, sadness, loss - to be overcome and healed but that takes time and a grieving process - which fits for me into the next card - 4 of Swords . . .

gregory

Three of Swords - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
It reminds me more than anything of a wind turbine..... Weird; the only positive thing about it, really !
From the artist’s website
Upright

He lays there and does his crying in the rain. He wallows in the sorrow of his heartache.

Reversed
He cries out to the skies in his anxiety. His mind is a playing field for chaos. He suffers extreme anguish from mental and emotional stress.

Images and Symbolism
The card depicts two different ways of dealing with heartache and sorrow. One lies in defeat upon a sword, the feeling of self pity clouding judgment as he runs his arm along the edge of the sword. He lays there feeling sorry for himself, lost in his own anguish.

The reverse is a focused image on the unleashing of great sorrow and anger which comes form the stresses within. The scream a released which frees the body of all it's tension.

Colour: rose, rich purples - associated with Libra

Traditional meanings
Upright:

Necessary conflict. Clearing the ground for what must come. Birth pains of a new era- Destruction of what is obsolete.
Reversed:
War, enmity, great disorder - physical or mental.
My impressions:
Upright
A wretched looking figure lies in an almost foetal position on the flat blade of a sword, on the ground; two more swords point towards him so that the three look like the hub of a wheel. The card background is vertically finely streaked, in purples. He seems to be lying in puddles of some kind of fluid.
Reversed
A desperate upwards looking face cries out from behind what looks like a wall of purple rain; it is sandwiched between two sword blades which come to a point below its chin; the third blade in the “wheel” points directly at its throat.
My take
Both aspects of this card seem utterly depressing ! Upright, the figure almost seems to be lying in pools of his own tears. He seems to have given up altogether, to be waiting for disaster to be completed – or even for death. He is doomed. I can only hope once all this has passed there is the possibility of rebirth – but I can’t see any sign of it. He doesn't look to me to be wallowing in self pity – but that would be a more positive way to look at it, as then at least he could choose not to do so – he looks to me more close to death – maybe by suicide ? Reversed is almost better – the face is at least screaming for help, or in rage at the situation - so hasn’t given up. This is a card of loss, disaster, whichever way it is drawn; I honestly cannot see any positive outcomes – unless the upright image can dream its way out – maybe he has decided to go to sleep and wait out the storm.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Three of Swords

First impressions

The sword from the Ace is shrunken here; the serpent on the hilt is emaciated; the blade has no text, and is narrower and less magnificent. At its point is a flower – a rose, I think. Two curved swords are stuck into it too – one from each side, and its petals are falling away from it. Above is the sigil for Saturn; below is Libra. Behind are roiling clouds and geometric figures that look like shards of lightning.

From the Book of Thoth
THE FOUR THREES

These cards are referred to Binah; in each of them is expressed the symbolism of Understanding. The idea has become fertilized; the triangle has been formulated. In each case, the idea is of a certain stability which can never be upset, but from which a child can issue.

The idea of division, of mutability, the idea of the airy quality of things, manifests itself in the Three of Swords, the Lord of Sorrow. Here one is reminded of the darkness of Binah, of the mourning of Isis; but this is not any vulgar sorrow dependent upon any individual disappointment or discontent. It is Weltschmerz, the universal sorrow; it is the quality of melancholy.

SORROW THREE OF SWORDS
Binah, the Great Mother, here rules the realm of Air. This fact involves an extremely difficult doctrine which must be studied at length in The Vision and the Voice: Aethyr 14.

Binah is here not the beneficent Mother completing the Trinity with Kether and Chokmah. She represents the darkness of the Great Sea.

This is accentuated by the Celestial Lordship of Saturn in Libra.

This card is dark and heavy; it is, so to speak, the womb of Chaos. There is an intense lurking passion to create, but its children are monsters. This may mean the supreme transcendence of the natural order. Secrecy is here, and Perversion.
The symbol represents the great Sword of the Magician, point uppermost; it cuts the junction of two short curved swords. The impact has destroyed the rose. In the background, storm broods under implacable night.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Three of Swords= Sorrow. Binah in the suit of Air. Saturn in Libra. The card represents the Great Sword of the Magician, point uppermost, cutting the junction of the two short swords. The background shows crystallisation and storm. This is the darkness of the Great Sea.
Also:
Three of Swords = Sorrow. Saturn in Libra. Binah.
A magician's sword and two short ones are tearing the rose to pieces. This suggests the confusion and darkness of the intellect which is emancipated without a guiding principle.
Banzhaf refers to the sword as the MAGICKAL sword of the Ace, and says that together with the two crooked swords it has destroyed the rose. He says it has done so through a hefty thrust – but honestly, it is barely touching the flower… It looks to me more to be the one that is supporting the rose, but still. The rose, he says, is the symbol of completeness. The storm behind, he says, comes from within, and forces us to grow (So not as negative as it might be ?)
Snuffin agrees that the larger swords is supporting the rose (good :D) and points out that all three swords are tinted with the green of Libra. He also points out that this card is Binah in Yetzirah and that Binah is overwhelming – the stormy sea, he says (I had immediately assumed it was sky and clouds until I read Frieda’s notes. but whatever it is, it certainly is overwhelming and quite threatening.) He says that Binah here is Aima – the Dark Sterile Mother.
The background shows crystalline formations, for air.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Sorrow. Melancholy. Unhappiness. Tears. Disrup-tion. Sowing of discord and strife. Delay. Absence. Separation. Mirth in forbidden pleasures. Deceit. Well-dignified: Singing. Faith¬fulness in promises. Honesty in money transactions..

DuQuette Unhappiness, sorrow and tears.
Disruption, interruption, separation, quarrelling; sowing of discord and strife, mischief-making, sorrow and tears; yet mirth in Platonic pleasures; singing, faithfulness in promises, honesty in money transactions, selfish and dissipated, yet sometimes generous: deceitful in words and repetitions; the whole according to dignity.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
THREES
We had one, indivisible thing, a stirring. We thought that one was good; then we noticed it's other side, the Hyde to Dr. Jekyll, the yin to the yang. We needed to see both sides in order to understand it and know how to develop it.
So we understand this passion, emotion, idea or work that we've taken up. We have decided to put our energy, feelings, brainpower or work into it. Our next move, of course, is for us to do just that and develop it, create a third corner. One that will, balance out the other two, form a triangle and allow for evolution and growth.
Ruling over the threes is the Empress whose card is about newborn things, which must be nursed and babied. As the twos were the fact-finding period, the period or hammering out the details, putting off the decision or making the decision, threes are about using that knowledge to take the first step or get the first results. It is about improvising our way through those early times of fragile development.
Three of Swords
Ah, the dreaded Three of Swords. Three swords pierce a heart. Against the background of a storm, it bleeds. This card often relates to love-triangles, but remember this is an air sign, so what wounds the querent is not an action, but something said to them, or read by them. There is a strong possibility that a secret has finally come out.
A reader may wonder how this differs from The Tower, which is about a similar reveal. The Tower reveals that something you were passionate about is false, and that is most important. With the Tower, the querent had no idea, none at all, that what they thought was true was not true. They believed it heart and soul. With the Three of Swords, the querent usually senses that something is up even if they don't know what. A friend has been avoiding you, perhaps, or making strange excuses. Something is up, but no one will say what. It feels like everyone is keeping something secret from you. And you may even have your suspicions of what.
The Three of Swords indicates that it's going to finally come out. It will be hurtful, the words sharp, piercing. "I don't like you," or, "I want to break up," or "I'm in love with your best friend" (ouch!). But it will not be a bolt out of the blue. It may even be a relief to finally know. No more waiting, obsessing, wondering, worrying about what could be wrong. This cutting truth, however bitter and painful, allows all that tension and uncertainty to finally drain out. The querent knows how things stand, the truth about how they're seen by others. This development allows them to move on.
(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
As I said when I first saw it – gloom and doom. The two swords at the top almost look like a smile. Really quite sinister – taking pleasure in the destruction. The flower looks rather like a pouting baby face – quite odd. (I have switched to a different greenie over here. It’s less dark, but just as sinister.)

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
A nasty situation, with the potential to get worse. You are hanging on by your fingernails – but all is not quite lost yet. The rose still has some petals left…

jackdaw*

Three of Swords (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
There’s not much original in this card. Basically if it has scenic pips, if you’ve seen one Three of Swords you’ve seen ‘em all. Big red valentine heart floating in a dark sky (sometimes gloomy, sometimes just gray and raining, clouds showing in the background as here), pierced by three downthrust swords. It started as far back as the eccentric Sola-Busca deck, was revived by Pamela Colman Smith, and survives to this day. I would guess that it’s up there with the Eight of Wands as the most tired and done-to-death card there is. There’s not often a lot original done with it. Very few modern deck creators do anything new with them. But that doesn’t detract from the effectiveness of the image. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Over the top as the picture may be, it depicts heartache very well. It makes me think of those silent film heroines swooning in black and white to the floor or a conveniently soft and nearby divan, fainting all over the place with one hand clutching her (presumably broken) heart while the back of the other hand presses against her forehead.

So what is there to say? It’s a picture of misery, of heartache, of crying in the rain. Not much to add to that. It’s a sad card, a “look at me, look at how sad I am, waah, waah” kind of card.

First instinct when looking at this is that “Well, gee, the heart is a symbol of emotion, the Swords are intellectual not emotional, it doesn’t really belong, does it?” Well, minus the “gee” that was my thought anyway. But look at the bulk of the Swords cards, and unhappy emotion is at the base of their interpretation. Look at the wary resignation of the Two, the heartache of the Three, the shame of defeat (or glee of triumph) of the Five, and so on. So maybe a heart isn’t so misplaced after all.

Creator’s Notes
Waite says:
Waite said:
Three Swords piercing a heart, cloud and rain behind.
Well worth looking it up, don’t you think?

Others’ Interpretations
Waite again:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Removal, absence, delay, division, rupture, dispersion, and all that the design signifies naturally, being to simple and obvious to call for specific enumeration.
Well, if I didn’t agree that it was so obvious, I’d be mad at this further example of Waite’s snottiness … but this time he‘s not far wrong. It‘s a stabbed heart, no gray area there, you‘d say. Further elaboration on it very well might be superfluous.
Waite said:
Reversed: mental alienation, error, loss, distraction, disorder, confusion.

Joan Bunning says:
Bunning said:
[…]In readings, the Three of Swords often represents the nasty little curve balls that life can throw sometimes. Betrayal, abandonment, rejection, separation, a reversal of fortune. These hurts are painful because they hit you when you least expect them. If you have drawn this card, you may know what it refers to, but if not, the Three of Swords is a valuable warning. It is likely there is something amiss in your life that you are unaware of or unwilling to acknowledge. Curve balls hit us when we're looking the other way. Examine your situation carefully. Talk to the people in your life. Don't take anything for granted. Listen to your inner voice; it will help you locate the problem.

It is also possible that you are contemplating hurting someone else. With this card I think it is important to remember that each of us is capable of cruelty. We're all human, and we all make mistakes, sometimes serious ones. In the end, all we can do is trust in the goodness of life and try to live up to that ideal. When you slip, forgive yourself, and try to forgive others in turn, but, even better, head off trouble before it arrives.

Symbols and Attributes
Astrologically the Three of Swords is ruled by Saturn in Libra. Libra, as we’ve found before, is a very ordered sign that emphasizes harmony and balance. And Saturn is a planet ruled by the element of Earth; its influence brings structure and temporal (earthly) authority. But … where is the harmony, the structure, in this picture? I’m thinking that this is due to the elemental incompatibility of these two astrological influences. Think about it: Libra is an Air sign, ruled by the swift-moving and changeable wind. It’s cerebral and fast. Saturn is an Earth planet, ruled by the stolid and unchanging ground. It’s concerned with material matters and does not move quickly (if at all) or change without significant impetus to do so. So when the unstoppable force of Libra meets the immovable object of Saturn, what happens? Of course there’s conflict, confusion; of course the harmony and structure would be lost in the confusion!

But one thing that I do like is that Saturn as a planet is sometimes referred to as the “Lord of Karma” (don’t look for scholarly references; I read that on the back of a booklet of Zodiac-themed postage stamps :laugh: ). That’s great, just terrific, I think. Isn’t the whole suit of Swords about karma in its most impartial and retributory form? Karma’s a bitch, you know. So … I see it as a mix of the justice of Libra and the karma of Saturn. It’s a fine point. Justice seems to deal more with the results, whereas karma focuses on how doing thing A leads to thing B happening as a result. Trawling around the internet, I found many seem to view karma as what does happen as a result of your actions, and justice as what should happen. Me, I see karma as more forgiving than justice, but I guess the mix of the two makes for a varied view in the Three of Swords.

Numerological this card is a three; three is the number of harmony and creation. Again, I don’t see it in this image. Combine the Three-ness with the Air-ness, the conflict of the suit of Swords, and I see an unhappy creation: the formation or origin of more misery, more worry, more strife. No wonder the Golden Dawn referred to the Three of Swords as the “Lord of Sorrow”.

Interesting for this coldly intellectual, dispassionate suit of Swords, that the central image of this card is a big red valentine heart. More the area of the suit of Cups, you might think. But no, there it is, large as life. Why? Well, for a start, the most obvious connection is that of the Sola-Busca. A northern Italian deck from the end of the fifteenth century, this was probably the first deck to have something resembling illustrated pips as we know them today (ie, something more than just the appropriate number of suit elements with a little bit of decorative embellishment). The Three of Swords from that deck, with its weird and wonderful illustrated pips that apparently were linked to Renaissance alchemy (or so says Tarotpedia) and its mythological trumps and court cards, was on display at the British Museum at around the same time as the Rider Waite Tarot’s creation. And it depicts a plump and lush red heart pierced by three decorative looking swords. Can’t be a coincidence. But who decided to base this one on that template - Waite, or Colman Smith? Good question. Popular opinion gives the credit to Pamela Colman Smith, as the artist and a visitor to the British Museum at the time.l but then it still begs the question: why the heart? After all, she didn’t replicate each and every card from that old pack, for all that she did seem to draw inspiration from it from time to time. So we’re back where we started.

Well, a heart is red. The colour of life’s blood and of energy. And as the mechanism that ensures blood is supplied to all parts of the human body, it’s a driving and vital force. But it’s also the organ traditionally associated with love and human emotion, romanticized by valentines and adorable little arrow-toting diapered cupids. All very pretty. Now. Stab it with three long swords - poke, poke, poke - and leave them protruding. Not so pretty now, is it? So it’s time to look at these sharp pointy objects and what they mean. In the Tarot, Swords as a suit emblem embody the element of Air. And that element’s attributes are those of intellect, communication and clarity. So it has been suggested that this image is about getting to the heart of the matter. Cutting through the extraneous stuff to get to the most important. But there’s also the more negative side of this suit: that of conflict and strife, of words that cut to the quick. Words can wound, can cut deeper than swords. So maybe the emotional heart does belong here, even if it is referring to the saddest of emotions.

I’m not a Catholic, but many who are have pointed out the similarity between the image on the Three of Swords and the Immaculate Heart of Mary from religious pictures and statues and holy cards. To be honest, I’d thought first it referred to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, but wikipedia points out that the latter is a heart in flames, whereas the former is the one pierced by a sword and with seven wounds. I told you I wasn’t Catholic! The seven wounds refer to the Seven Sorrows of Mary, so it would certainly apply here; remember the Golden Dawn title for the card! (There’s supposed to be another sacred heart of some kind or another showing the three nails of the Crucifixion; but I can’t find it at the moment.)

Curiously, in the Rider Waite version and indeed in most versions based on the Rider Waite Tarot, the swords are thrust right through the meatiest part of the heart, yet there’s no blood. While the pain is sharp, it’s not fatal. If we look at it in terms of the Swords representing communication, the childhood adage comes to mind: “sticks and stones may break my bones, but names [or words] will never hurt me.” It hurts, but you’ll recover. You’ll get over it. In some versions of this card (the Robin Wood, for example) there is rain dripping off the tips of the swords, illustrating the fact that while emotions (tears, hinted at by the dripping rainwater) can make it seem worse than it is, there is in fact no physical harm done.

The background of gray sky, clouds and rain is also interesting. First, it emphasizes a rather bleak and gloomy outlook and throws the emotional upset and heartache into sharp relief. Second, the gray of the sky is a mix between black and white; as such it represents neutrality. It’s impartial, this heartache, nothing personal. For all the good that does, it’s a cold comfort. And the rain, well, as water dripping down it resembles tears. And at the risk of channeling Waite at his snidest, do I really need to explain that? :laugh: It represents the grief and heartache that the stabbed heart shows. Frankly it’s a bit of overkill, but it’s nicely atmospheric without being too over the top. And finally, look at the clouds. As a blend of air and water, I see a certain amount of incompatibility between the elements that could certainly contribute to a sense of imbalance in this card. A conflict between the emotionality of the Water and the dispassionate intellect of the Air. A nice little meteorological underlining of how the two meet in this card.

My Interpretations
So to me the Three of Swords is still pretty much what I thought it was before: the on-the-surface interpretation of heartache and grief and words that hurt still stand up to further scrutiny. It’s a card of gloom and hurt, of emotional pain that darkens the horizon and clouds everything.

Rachel Pollack said in Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom that the way to move on is to not try and block or push away the pain, but to accept it into your heart and thus be able to move on from it. And that is perhaps the one silver lining to this gray storm cloud.