78 Weeks: Eight Swords

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Eight of Swords

For my study of the 8 of Swords this week I used my Universal Waite and Druidcraft decks.

Eight of Swords

So the obvious first word that comes to mind when looking at this card is the 'trapped' scenario. However I then started thinking about what is she trapped by and even why. With the woman surrounded by swords, and her hands tied, with her eyes blindfolded - she certainly seems to be lacking a bit of freedom here. So what do the swords represent - issues, problems, circumstances even her own thoughts or someone elses. Being surrounded by them it makes me think that any way she turns she has one blocking her way but there still sufficient space for her to manouveur passed them if she could see where they were.

Which brings me to the blindflold and bound hands - and realised that she could not have done this to herself eg. tied herself up with hands behind her back - so does this represent that someone else has restricted her some how or is it a situation or environment that has constraints or problems, that she is not able to solve unless she can see them and free her hands to deal with them. But she can does this perhaps by cutting her bonds on one of the swords if she confronts it and then she will be able to remove her blindfold and see a space to remove herself from this circle of swords. Just some thoughts :)

CF

gregory

Eight of Swords - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Bondage.

From the artist’s website
Upright

She binds herself in a velvet rope. She feigns entrapment of her own accord.

Reversed
She frees herself only to see the error of her ways.

Images and Symbolism
The swords she lays upon pose no direct threat to her. Here the swords represent issues which torment her mind - the lay in the background, a threat to her, but indirectly.
She holds on to the ropes as she tries to bind herself harder. The ropes are holding her back from dealing with the situation, but she chooses to hold on to them.
The blindfold is her excuse from seeing situation as it is.

The reversed image shows her freeing herself from the binding and the blindfold. She has liberated herself without the help of others.

Colour: bi-coloured, warm hues - associated with Gemini

Traditional meanings
Upright:

Blows dealt by fate which can be overcome by patient effort. Restrictions will be lifted, rescue is at hand.
Reversed:
Frustration, inhibition, much labour but little reward.
My impressions:
Upright
A blindfolded woman is trussed up with red ropes, win which, behind her, four swords seem to be entangled.

Reversed
The still firmly bound woman claws at her throat as she removes the blindfold (it actually looks more as if she is removing a cloth with which she had been gagged or throttled). Behind her are four swords, criss-crossed.

My take
This looks like a card of imprisonment and release. I note that the book says she has tied herself up and it is a fake, almost - but it doesn’t look that way to me – unless it is a mess of her own making which has overcome her. She looks to me genuinely helpless in the upright aspect, I suppose it could be the sort of dead end trap so many of us are in – like a job which isn’t satisfying but we dare not leave, in case we can’t pay the rent. In that sense, escape is possible if we dare to go for it. Risks would need to be taken but they can work out. I don’t see the level of self-deception suggested in the book though, never mind the feigned entrapment. I’ll allow imagined entrapment ! The reverse shows her taking the risk and breaking free – but the bonds don’t fall away at once; she can just see that there is a way out. Her eyes still look a bit blind…. There is a lot of fear here, but also hope.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Eight of Swords

First impressions

Two large and powerful swords are blocking off six shorter ones of different types (Crowley lists them as Kriss, Kukri, Scramasax, Dagger, Machete and Yataghan.) The background seems almost blood coloured – vein blood, purplish – and the geometrical symbols are in scarlet with bits of blue. There are the sigils of Gemini (bottom) and Jupiter (top).

From the Book of Thoth
THE FOUR EIGHTS

The four Eights are attributed to Hod. Being in the same plane as the Sevens on the Tree of Life, but on the other side, the same inherent defects as are found in the Sevens will apply.

Yet one may perhaps urge this alleviation, that the Eights come as (in a sense) a remedy for the error of the Sevens. The mischief has been done; and there is now a reaction against it. One may, therefore, expect to find that, while there is no possibility of perfection in the cards of this number, they are free from such essential and original errors as in the Lower case.

The Eight of Swords is called Interference. At first sight, it would seem easy to confuse it with the Eight of Cups; but the idea is, in reality, quite different. The card is attributed to Jupiter and Gemini; accordingly, there is no weighing down of the will by internal or external stress. It is simply the error of being good- natured when good-nature is disastrous. Gemini is an airy sign, an intellectual sign; Jupiter is geniality and optimism. This will not do in the world of Swords; if one must hit at all, a knock-out blow is best. But there is another element in this card; that of unexpected (the Eights, being at heart Mercurial, are always that) interference, sheer unforeseen bad luck. Trivial incidents have often altered the destiny of empires, brought to naught “the best laid plans of mice and men”.

INTERFERENCE EIGHT OF SWORDS
The number Eight, Hod, here signifies lack of persistence in matters of the intellect and of contest. Good fortune, however, attends even these weakened efforts, thanks to the influence of Jupiter in Gemini, ruling the Decan. Yet the Will is constantly thwarted by accidental interference.

The centre of the card is occupied by two long Swords pointed downward. These are crossed by six small swords, three on each side. They remind one of weapons peculiar to their countries or their cults; we see here the Kriss, the Kukri, the Scramasax, the Dagger, the Machete and the Yataghan.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Eight of Swords = Interference. Hod in the suit of Air. Jupiter in Gemini.
The centre of the card contains two long Swords pointing down, while six smaller ones suggesting Eastern weapons cross them, three on each side. The card suggests lack of persistence in intellectual matters and accidental interference.
Also:
Eight of Swords = Interference. Jupiter in Gemini. Hod
The arrangement of these Indian swords covered by two long ones tells of outside obstruction and consequent inability to concentrate the mind.
Banzhaf refers to the straightness of the two swords at the front as being interfered with by the 6 blades behind them. I’d have thought that equally they could be seen as hindering the smaller ones by keeping them trapped behind them. In fact, Snuffin sees it the way I do, saying that they form a barrier to six shorter swords. He also draws attention to the fact that the six shorter blades are “not full swords” and says that this alludes to “shortened force”. But in any event, Banzhaf and Snuffin both see the “troublesome crosswise swords” as indicating restlessness and confusion of thought, a barrier to rational thinking.
DuQuette says that Frieda “outdid herself” in terms of the colour correspondences in this card. He says the blades actually appear to glow (true); the colours include those of the four scales for Jupiter – and then lists five… - violet, blue, purple, bright blue and rayed yellow. the stylised – wings, he calls them – here he actually says they look like pinwheels – the children’s windmills I referred to in so many of these cards !
Snuffin draws further attention to colour; the sigils are blue and orange – the colours of elemental water; this, he says, suggests that the cause of the interference is emotional in nature.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Eight of Swords: Interference. Waste of energy in details causing neglect of more important things. Lack of persistence. Sheer, unforeseen bad luck. Restriction. Great care in some things counterbalanced by equal disorder in others.

DuQuette Narrow, restricted, petty, a prison
Too much force applied to small things: too much attention to detail at the expense of the principal and more important points. When ill dignified, these qualities produce malice, pettiness, and domineering characteristics. Patience in detail of study; great care in some things, counterbalanced by equal disorder in others. Impulsive; equally fond of giving or receiving money or presents; generous, clever, acute, selfish and without strong feeling of affection. Admires wisdom, yet applies it to small and unworthy objects.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
EIGHTS
Going with the Rider-Waite deck, we'll relate the Eights to Strength. The Eights are like the Maiden, the will and intelligence to bring our passions to heel. By doing so, the two make the lion's energy more efficient, more powerful and lofty in purpose.
The number eight is, likewise, about limitations but also about transcending them. As with Strength, having rules allow one to achieve something higher, more divine, as wild fire banked in a fireplace creates more heat and light then if it was allowed to burn as it liked.
As Seven was the individual learning to stand his ground and prove his resourcefulness, eight is the individual bowing to limitations. Rather than defying them, he finds creative ways to get the most out of such rules. The hope being that not only will he learn from such restrictions, but that they will bring out the best in him.
Eight of Swords
A woman is tied and blindfolded within a cage of swords. This is the "damned if you do, damned if you don't," card. The querent is in a situation where they're afraid to move. If they move, they'll get cut. However, the ropes that bind them, the blindfold over their eyes, are their own fears, keeping them still, immobile. And so the longer they stay, the more they constrain and entrap themselves.
Although the limitation of the eights are meant to transform, there are negatives and drawbacks to this. The Eight of Swords is exactly that. It is what happens when you try to put limitations on words or thought. The motivation behind this may be lofty, to not hurt feelings or keep thoughts on divine rather than base matters. But what ends up happening is that either literally (with censorship) or figuratively the querent ends up feeling like they can't say or think anything.
This is a card about second-guessing every word, maybe even worrying about your own thoughts and what they say about you. In real world terms this could indicate extremes of social or legal censorship, fears of being cut down for offending a person or group, fears of being cut down for disagreeing.
This card can also indicate your fears of what others might be saying about you. Fears of gossip, criticism, insults.
Fortitude is the only way to transcend this deadly mix of external and internal limitations. Like the Maiden taking the chance of getting mauled by the Lion, the querent must be prepared to enduring pain and disapproval otherwise they will remain trapped and silenced.
Thus, the card urges you to have the courage to speak up or face down what's being said about you. To move and try to get past the swords. The longer you stay mute and still, the worse it will get.
(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
The de-oxygenated blood colouring of the background gives this card a decidedly sinister appearance to me. The glowing blades add to this, and one could almost see the red patterns as blood….

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
I would indeed see it as obstacles in your path; many matters being blocked by larger matters. In fact – it reminds me a bit of “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?” There are big problems, and this card suggests that the querent is focusing on other things to avoid thinking about them. Classic avoidance.