The Wild Unknown -- Wildlife (animals, insects, etc.)

Chiriku

This thread is a place to discuss the various animals, insects, arachnids, and so on that appear in The Wild Unknown Tarot.

As most cards contain wildlife of some kind, you can of course go to each individual card's study group thread for in-depth discussions of those. Here, we can discuss the overall patterns or themes of wildlife, such as why certain animals or insects were chosen versus other ones, or why there appear to be more of X type of animal than Y, etc.

Here's a list of wildlife I compiled by going through the deck and jotting down which animals and insects I saw:

Bats

Big cats
Domesticated cats

Tortoises

Deer/elk (inc. doe/fawn)

Bovine (steer/ox)

Goat/ram
Sheep/lamb

Horses

Fox/vixen

Rodent (mouse/rat)

Black birds (crows or ravens)
Light-colored birds (unidentified--perhaps a dove)
Small bird (unidentified--perhaps a canary)
Waterfowl (geese or swans, mallards)
Owls
Heron or crane

Butterflies
Spiders
Earthworms

Snakes

--

If you think of any I may have missed, or think of more specific/accurate identifiers for any of these, please add to this thread.

flying black kat

My Thoughts

Chiriku:

A lot of the animals, insects, etc. are the same, but different species, and ages. Example - The male deer are 2 different ages. One is older, one is younger. You can tell by the antler points. The butterflies, swan’s, birds, snakes, large cats, are all different. I think there could be a buffalo (bovine, steer).
I think the 4 of Swords is a lamb.

I also think there are also earthworms, as in card 5 of Swords.

These are just my thoughts.

Kathy

Chiriku

Yes, I was just looking at the 5 of Swords and realized that those things were earthworms. I'll edit my posting to reflect that.

Many of the animals do differ by age and sex within the same species. I think it would be interesting for people to sort out the families of same-species animals and look at those cards together to determine any messages that result from the age and sex differentiation.

flying black kat

Some More Thoughts

Chiriku:

One of the things I tought about was how some of the animals used were shown in different stages of growth. From birth, spring; youth, summer; maturing, fall; and the older, north.

The different species, ect. snakes, were cobras, rattlesnakes, not sure about some of the other snakes. Some of the owls were barn owls, who owls, the large cats were tiger, lion, snow leopard, jaguar.

To me she is saying without words look at the diveresity of nature, and all that is. Everything has a purpose, everything is important. Some people write to get accross their ideas, I paint. I feel this is her way of showing others how she feels, and found a common ground with people she can better relate to.

Kathy

velvetina

I'm wondering about the Big Cats, particularly the lion - it has been many a century since lions roamed northern forests - this leads me to think this is definately a forest of the mind, the soul - at first, I thought it was a mistake, but now I feel its a perfect choice!

My only disappointment is that there are no bears :(

flying black kat

velvetina:

Thank you velvetina. I did not realize that there were no bears. Back to the cards to see what else is l missed.

Do you have any idea what beside eyeballs, earthworms, swords, what the centeral whatever is?

Kathy

celticnoodle

Yes, I was just looking at the 5 of Swords and realized that those things were earthworms. I'll edit my posting to reflect that.

Many of the animals do differ by age and sex within the same species. I think it would be interesting for people to sort out the families of same-species animals and look at those cards together to determine any messages that result from the age and sex differentiation.

ah! I was thinking earthworms too--but I was not 100% sure. thank you!!!!

celticnoodle

Chiriku:
I think the 4 of Swords is a lamb.

I also think there are also earthworms, as in card 5 of Swords.

These are just my thoughts.

Kathy
Yes, the 4 of swords is a lamb, per the book.

Chiriku:

One of the things I tought about was how some of the animals used were shown in different stages of growth. From birth, spring; youth, summer; maturing, fall; and the older, north.

gosh, I didn't even 'see' this. :p but yes, you are right- at least or especially it is noticeable with the pentacle court cards.

The different species, ect. snakes, were cobras, rattlesnakes, not sure about some of the other snakes. Some of the owls were barn owls, who owls, the large cats were tiger, lion, snow leopard, jaguar.

To me she is saying without words look at the diveresity of nature, and all that is. Everything has a purpose, everything is important. Some people write to get accross their ideas, I paint. I feel this is her way of showing others how she feels, and found a common ground with people she can better relate to.

Kathy
yes, definitely.

I'm wondering about the Big Cats, particularly the lion - it has been many a century since lions roamed northern forests - this leads me to think this is definately a forest of the mind, the soul - at first, I thought it was a mistake, but now I feel its a perfect choice!

My only disappointment is that there are no bears :(
I also thought about this deck not having any bears in it. as for the cats, I also love that she used a leopard for the magician. This animal is generally used or said to be used by shamans, and so I love that she used this animal for the magician card, which I can really identify with as a shaman too. Not sure this was her intent though. The tiger is also symbolic of power and is known for their incredible ability of sight, so again, it is a very good symbol to use as the High Priestess. In fact, this card is one of my favorite cards in the deck.

velvetina:

Thank you velvetina. I did not realize that there were no bears. Back to the cards to see what else is l missed.

Do you have any idea what beside eyeballs, earthworms, swords, what the centeral whatever is?

Kathy

I think it's a jaw bone. From a boar maybe?
I wondered what it was too. that card doesn't quite excite me very much, :laugh: but that card, like the 10 swords, is generally a sad, depressing card.

celticnoodle

adding my thoughts on the father of swords card---that owl looks rather fierce, don't you think?:p I mean, he is definitely an owl/father who looks very wise, and someone you wouldn't want to try to fool. I love it!