Tarot for Ancestor Work

Barleywine

I wasn't getting much out of the Shining Tribe for this because the art is too rudimentary to be inspiring. On a whim I pulled out the Hermit card from the Chrysalis tarot. It shows a woman as the Hermit that looks very much like my deceased grandmother, and is titled "Storyteller." My grandmother had been a playing-card reader earlier in life but never talked about it. I'm thinking this card may help me connect with that. I'm calling it my "Grandmother card," and have it "over-seeing" all of my desktop tarot work.

celticnoodle

I wasn't getting much out of the Shining Tribe for this because the art is too rudimentary to be inspiring. On a whim I pulled out the Hermit card from the Chrysalis tarot. It shows a woman as the Hermit that looks very much like my deceased grandmother, and is titled "Storyteller." My grandmother had been a playing-card reader earlier in life but never talked about it. I'm thinking this card may help me connect with that. I'm calling it my "Grandmother card," and have it "over-seeing" all of my desktop tarot work.

I think it sounds very apt for her then. .

thanks for sharing, Barley. If this seems to help bring your gm through, I do hope you'll update here. I am enjoying this thread. :)

My mother and now, I, am also known to the family members as "the storyteller". :laugh: I'm the family historian/genealogist--though much of the stories are what I learned from my mother and maternal gm too. I can't wait to do this tarot card reading for communicating with and learning more possibly about my deceased loved ones too.

conurelover

I think it sounds very apt for her then. .

thanks for sharing, Barley. If this seems to help bring your gm through, I do hope you'll update here. I am enjoying this thread. :)

My mother and now, I, am also known to the family members as "the storyteller". :laugh: I'm the family historian/genealogist--though much of the stories are what I learned from my mother and maternal gm too. I can't wait to do this tarot card reading for communicating with and learning more possibly about my deceased loved ones too.

Raises hand too! Family historian/genealogist here and I am loving this ancestor communication I have been doing since I discovered this topic! I have been using the Mary-El. Justice reminded me of my gm. Hermit reminded me of my ggf who lived without his family overseas for over 20 years to work and send them money back him. Can't wait to see what I have today when I do the spread.

Samweiss

Little over year ago, right after I decided to start practising spiritual things (tarot and meditation), my dad showed me a family research he had gotten hold of. The research told that the progenitor of our family was apparently a quite famous healer and wiseman in his time. I thought that was really encouraging considering my newfound pursuits. Now this thread reminded me about this, I had almost forgot all about it, so thanks! :) I've made a few readings about my ancestors with some interesting results.

celticnoodle

Raises hand too! Family historian/genealogist here and I am loving this ancestor communication I have been doing since I discovered this topic! I have been using the Mary-El. Justice reminded me of my gm. Hermit reminded me of my ggf who lived without his family overseas for over 20 years to work and send them money back him. Can't wait to see what I have today when I do the spread.

I was 'planning' to start doing this on Monday, when company is gone and I'll have lots of quiet time.

Little over year ago, right after I decided to start practising spiritual things (tarot and meditation), my dad showed me a family research he had gotten hold of. The research told that the progenitor of our family was apparently a quite famous healer and wiseman in his time. I thought that was really encouraging considering my newfound pursuits. Now this thread reminded me about this, I had almost forgot all about it, so thanks! :) I've made a few readings about my ancestors with some interesting results.
very cool, Samweiss! I know psychic abilities tend to run in families--and can be inherited. I know, when I was doing the genealogy research, I found a census record in Ireland for my maternal side, listing one of the ancestors as "the one who sees" in the field for career. I thought that so funny (and quite cool too!).

Sam, you should also try this ancestor work and share with us here! :)

Chrystella

I finished the first round a few days ago. I changed it a little. On the first day, I drew two cards. First, a card from the courts and then a card from the majors. I thought this would help me get a better sense of the ancestor as a person. It was interesting. Here's what I got.

Day 1: Draw a court card and major arcana card to represent the ancestor.
King of Cups and The Sun - He is a man with light brown hair and hazel eyes. He is a fair man, a man of business, law, or divinity. He is responsible, compassionate, loving, and paternalistic in a sensitive and generous manner. He is joyous and content.

Day 2: Tell me about a memorable day in your life.
The Hierophant - Because one possibility for the King of Cups is a man of divinity, he might have been a priest. This card may refer to an initiation or ordination. Otherwise, it might suggest a happy union, a marriage perhaps.

Day 3: How do you affect or influence me?
Five of Wands - This card may reflect a number of things: that I am competitive, that I struggle with wanting to change the perspective of others, or it can suggest collaboration.

Day 4: What is your message for me?
Judgment - Be careful with your judgement of others and of situations. Take time to reflect.

Day 5: How can I honour you?
King of Coins - Learn to cultivate and enjoy a full and joyful life.

I know this isn't the reading area, but I welcome feedback. I don't know anything about my ancestors so this is more than an intellectual exercise for me.

Samweiss

very cool, Samweiss! I know psychic abilities tend to run in families--and can be inherited. I know, when I was doing the genealogy research, I found a census record in Ireland for my maternal side, listing one of the ancestors as "the one who sees" in the field for career. I thought that so funny (and quite cool too!).

Sam, you should also try this ancestor work and share with us here! :)

Yeah, it is cool! Funny thing actually, I have noticed psychic abilities triggering sometimes when using tarot cards. I've never heard anyone in our family having a gift for these things, or at least using them.

And sure, I'll share!

I finished the first round a few days ago. I changed it a little. On the first day, I drew two cards. First, a card from the courts and then a card from the majors. I thought this would help me get a better sense of the ancestor as a person. It was interesting. Here's what I got.

I know this isn't the reading area, but I welcome feedback. I don't know anything about my ancestors so this is more than an intellectual exercise for me.

I also did a reading with the same question and got the same answer as you. I didn't do it the exact same way as you did, just did a straight up 3-card reading.

So the answer was: King of Pentacles, aspected by 9 of Wands and Queen of Pentacles. I think there's a strong focus on marriage and family affairs. Also, the words "continuation of family name" popped in my head. Interesting that there's both King and Queen of the same suite present.

celticnoodle

this is a very good idea!

Day 1: Draw a court card and major arcana card to represent the ancestor.
King of Cups and The Sun - He is a man with light brown hair and hazel eyes. He is a fair man, a man of business, law, or divinity. He is responsible, compassionate, loving, and paternalistic in a sensitive and generous manner. He is joyous and content.

Day 2: Tell me about a memorable day in your life.
The Hierophant - Because one possibility for the King of Cups is a man of divinity, he might have been a priest. This card may refer to an initiation or ordination. Otherwise, it might suggest a happy union, a marriage perhaps.

Okay--do you have any known ancestors who were priests or in any other type of high spiritual position? At least that you know of, through family stories/records? I could also see it as indicating a high position such as President of a corporation or even a huge club--like the Masons--or something else. Or, as you mention--a happy union/marriage that was also very blessed and rewarding.

Day 3: How do you affect or influence me?
Five of Wands - This card may reflect a number of things: that I am competitive, that I struggle with wanting to change the perspective of others, or it can suggest collaboration.
yep. I could see this as well.

Day 4: What is your message for me?
Judgment - Be careful with your judgement of others and of situations. Take time to reflect.

yes, I would agree completely. Also I might add that the 5 of wands, Judgement and King of Coins could sum up that his advice for you is to not give up in your struggles (5 of wands) and push forward--but know when this is the right thing/time to do (Judgment) and if you make these wise decisions, you will find that you are successful in your pursuits.

celticnoodle

Yeah, it is cool! Funny thing actually, I have noticed psychic abilities triggering sometimes when using tarot cards. I've never heard anyone in our family having a gift for these things, or at least using them.

And sure, I'll share!

:) good! I can't wait to get started on my readings and will follow Chrystella's lead in drawing 2 cards initially--to help me understand whom is coming through for me.

Yes, any sort of tool used for divining can/will begin to help you develop other abilities too, I think. I am also of the thought that everyone has these abilities-to one degree or another, and if you are keen on it--you can develop them and fine tune them to be even stronger. All it takes is patience, desire and practice.

I also did a reading with the same question and got the same answer as you. I didn't do it the exact same way as you did, just did a straight up 3-card reading.

So the answer was: King of Pentacles, aspected by 9 of Wands and Queen of Pentacles. I think there's a strong focus on marriage and family affairs. Also, the words "continuation of family name" popped in my head. Interesting that there's both King and Queen of the same suite present.

Yes, I find that interesting too, that you have a King and Queen of Pentacles ina trio--same suit and both courts. It could very well be indicating a marriage between these two and the 9 of wands between them seems to be pointing to some feeling of 'there is still hope'.

If you did hear in your mind "continuation of family name", I would strongly keep this in mind too. Can you see where this fits in your own family? Is there a 'male' heir after you? And, remember too--that your spouses family are now yours as well--so if you're a female and married to a male, that his ancestors can be coming through in these readings.

I have often had my husbands ancestors come through to me in both dreams and readings done for me. One of his great, great grandmothers came in a reading once saying she was wanting to help me in my spiritual pursuits. I was a bit shocked by that--but realizing she was at the time a great advisor for me! Still is, though I'm not sure she is still with me.

Do share more, too, as you do it.

Elven

What a wonderful thread!
Chrystella, I haven't looked into doing Ancestral work in this way, so I am keen to explore further.
I love the spread you have devised, and the changes with the Court card added.
I'll be keeping an eye on the thread :)