Anyone tried blind reading of event charts?

RohanMenon

Thank You MinderWiz

Very educational.

Acquiring some skill in Traditional Astrology is very much on my todo list. I'm presently working through Ben Dykes' introductory book. Once I finish this, I'll probably work through Lilly or Morin, and then Abu Mashaar, Mashallah etc. At least, that's the plan.

Minderwiz

Very educational.

Acquiring some skill in Traditional Astrology is very much on my todo list. I'm presently working through Ben Dykes' introductory book. One I finish this, I'll probably work through Lilly or Morin, and then Abu Mashaar, Mashallah etc. At least, that's the plan.

That's a very bold plan! Lilly wrote in English and he's comprehensible, though there are terms that he uses that require explanation,: A good edition will provide footnotes. The others will require translations of some kind or other and often assume you know what they are referring to, so don't provide explanations most of the time. Here you need good commentaries.

Try something like Avelar and Roberto - On the Heavenly spheres. It's good at covering medieval and seventeenth century ideas. Try Joseph Crane on Hellenistic Astrology and get Holden's history of Horoscopic Astrology. Those will give you the basic framework for reading the texts. It can be other way around but it's difficult to make progress - I know, that's how I did it.

If I had to start now, I'd begin at the beginning with Hellenistic Astrology, it's the roots of all the rest and reading Masha'allah's, etc becomes a piece of cake.

Read a few websites, Chris Brennan is particularly good as he has a series of podcasts which cover modern stuff such as presidential elections.

RohanMenon

ha ha yes,

I did read some fragments of Morin and he seemed pretty clear. Likewise Lilly,using Amazon's "look inside" feature. Maybe I just got lucky.

Though I do expect to get texts with commentary(Dykes seems to have some good books with commentary), and reach out to experts (here or Skyscript etc) when I get stuck. I can always ask you heh heh. I wonder if "My Struggles with Lilly" might be an interesting thread here ;-). I was given that sequence of books by an astrologer on reddit's astrology forum. Might be too advanced a sequence?

In 'real life' I am a researcher, so have to deal with difficult and/or not fully understood material all the time, so I am quite comfortable with getting stuck and having to do extra reading/communication etc to "unstick" myself and then make some progress and get stuck again. Just part of my day job. This should carry over into astrological reading hopefully.

That said, your suggestions for books and web references are greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

I have Crane's book. I just started reading it. Some of his explanations of actual charts seem a bit iffy - reverse fitting a known famous person's history into astrological symbolism - but the concepts themselves are very clear. So I'm ignoring his chart interpretations for now, but trying to understand the definitions of the concepts themselves. I'm a firm believer that *prediction* is what distinguishes a good astrologer from the rest. Crane doesn't seem to do any prediction of any kind in the book and just look at famous people charts, whose lives are known already (I just started, I could be wrong).

I think the really hard part might be to actually delineate a chart step by step. Do any books deal with this part (From the Hellenistic/Medieval etc perspective)

"If I had to start now, I'd begin at the beginning with Hellenistic Astrology, it's the roots of all the rest and reading Masha'allah's, etc becomes a piece of cake."

Excellent advise! Thank You.

Holden added to 'to buy' list. Avelar *seems* a bit elementary (sayeth the beginner in astrology, lol, but it seems to not deal with delineation) . But added to purchase list anyway. Why not? all good. Thanks again!

PS: I also bought Gansten's "Primary Directions" book which came highly reccomended.

CosmicBeing

Congrats on pinpointing the theme well in the chart!

RohanMenon

Thanks Cosmic Being, but I think

it is just beginner's luck. The first time you try something, it works well. Being able to do it at will, consistently, is the hard part.

CosmicBeing

it is just beginner's luck. The first time you try something, it works well. Being able to do it at will, consistently, is the hard part.

That is very true. Well more practice will make you better.

I worry that was the case with my first 3 transits. I hope to keep being able to produce that.

It is so hard to read for self with an astrology chart.. more like transits.