Finding news ways to make money from Tarot

chaosbloom

I don't personally mind the Tarot being used for profit. That's a pretty ancient thing with most forms of divination. You pay for the seer's expertise, although that was far more exclusive and "accredited" in previous eras compared to now.

I'm curious about something. Why is Tarot being compared with alternative medicine? How is it a remedy for anything?

tarotlova

I have a small private reading booth in a local emporium....very cozy and dim and mysterious...people love the ambiance. I have a lamp for lighting and a couple of crystals, and a big teddy bear-shaped jar with a "thank you" taped to it that sits on the table. I seed the jar with a few bucks and proceed to invite people for a free four-card introductory reading. Ninety percent of the people leave a tip...some leave big tips....up to $20 and $30. I also have developed several reading of my own that I charge anywhere from $10 to $65 (28 cards Karmic Path spread). I also do the great Celtic spread for $25. The point I'm making is that you can let the querent decide to tip or not. Most will tip around $5 for a 4-card 10-minute reading. I live in a small town on a 2-lane highway that runs through....in the Bible belt. Don't get a lot of business, but I make more with the tip jar than I did when I charged for every reading. I feel good about this because the person can decide if they want to pay or not. Most people are generous and appreciative. I also get a lot more reading experience, and I'm now expanding into a full-time profession. I plan to incorporate astrology and meditation into my business....teaching how to caste an astrology chart, Zen meditation, and am considering a painting class where students do paintings of the major arcana. I am a painter by profession and also finishing up a novel. I recently bought a small vintage trailer that I'm going to paint as a "gypsy vardo" and plan to go on the road with my four cats at some point.....just part of my retirement plan. I'm 72. Don't fuss. Have fun. Life is short.

Ruby Jewel going on the road that way sounds fabulous! And here is me worried about turning 50, obviously I have stopped thinking outside the square I have been living in :) I don't think there is anything wrong for receiving money doing something you love, after all, we have all received money from jobs we hate. I have spent many years and money studying the Tarot and other subjects, so the advice I give can come from a good understanding of what the cards are telling me on behalf of my client. My readings come from my heart & soul, to help other people find their path in life again after going astray. Not all of us are blessed with friends to talk too myself included, so I am quiet happy becoming their friend for a short while :angel:

Sulis

Agreed there are a handful of places that survive. I used to run a training centre in Camden years ago and it was a new age/hippie/vegetarian centre even then. The food was absolutely delicious :)

However the rest of the country does not do so well and apart from Brighton, it is probably difficult to find acceptance in most other regions of the UK :(

I really do think you're generalising massively here. I live in Nottingham and there have always been a few New Age, Magic, hippy tat shops here that offer tarot readings and there are in most towns and cities I've been to, some like Brighton or Glastonbury do seem to have more than their fair share but I don't think the UK is un-accepting of tarot or of anything esoteric for that matter.

Have you thought about getting your own website? I think there are many people here who start blogs and offer free readings from time to time to get people interested. You can accept payment through Paypal.

MissChiff

It says on your profile Aunty Anthena that you are opposed to people charging money for tarot readings... What made you change your mind?

Thoughtful

However the rest of the country does not do so well and apart from Brighton, it is probably difficult to find acceptance in most other regions of the UK :(

Have you not heard of Glastonbury its a wonderful community of spiritual people, delightful new age shops, workshops that offer all sorts of wonderful courses. There has never been trouble there with shops or centres having to close.

AJ

Why are you so dead set against anything/anywhere you label New Age?

New Age
noun
a broad movement characterized by alternative approaches to traditional Western culture, with an interest in spirituality, mysticism, holism, and environmentalism.
"the New Age movement"

Your attitude seems to travel the path of "why it won't work" rather than opening to why it could work.

zhadee, your post was beautiful.

Sulis

I do readings in restaurants/pubs etc but only for fun. I had thought about doing readings in in my friends restaurants but then word would quickly get around and I would never have any peace :(

Yet you say you want to find ways of making money from tarot.. This post above seems to contradict that.

I'm confused.. You'd 'never have any peace' if word got around and people found out that you wanted to read tarot for money yet you've started a thread asking how to make money from tarot :confused:

Thoughtful

I'm curious about something. Why is Tarot being compared with alternative medicine? How is it a remedy for anything?

l practise Reiki and its a wonderful way of balancing and healing a person. The same can be said of Tarot and any other healing method. l use the Tarot here in a healing context because some people l read for have real problems, its a their way of off-loading, having a sympathetic ear (empathy) to hear them and a voice to guide them. It can develop into a counselling reading and l find Tarot really good for that.
So Tarot can be a beneficial remedy for some and for others a fun and entertaining time.

Thoughtful

Also we all know that reading cards can be emotionally addictive, so asking for money sets up necessary boundaries.

Absolutely agree with you here. When people pay you it does stop and make them think "how necessary is this for me." Not charging could attract people into a cycle of must have.
l have made exceptions to this. When l sense a person really needs a reading and cannot afford it, l just say how about a small exchange l will read for you and tonight you can send up a prayer for me, or how about a small posy of flowers from your garden. It can be anything that feels right at the time. That way they don't feel like a charity case and they can settle down to their reading.

gregory

I don't personally mind the Tarot being used for profit. That's a pretty ancient thing with most forms of divination. You pay for the seer's expertise, although that was far more exclusive and "accredited" in previous eras compared to now.

It isn't - except that some people think you shouldn't charge for reiki and so on either - that you should GIVE your skills - and there, people say the same of tarot.

The posts referencing alternative medicine were saying that both are skills tnat can legitimately be charged for.

I am still baffled by the idea that nowhere in the UK but London and Brighton accept us. Not that I read for money - but I know where I can go in the very north of England, if I want to buy a reading. And the only "non-acceptance" I have come across is from one extreme member of my choir - who is actually an atheist, so it isn't the usual religious objection - and she is nice enough about it - and my mother, who refuses to accept that it is possible to "believe in" tarot and not in God, so I must be a liar. And she lives in Oxford - which has plenty of tarot stuff.