The Antique Lenormand

Rosanne

Love it Bee. I wonder if you could make the figure/window/table dimensions just a tad taller as there is a lot of blank card there.

As my Grandfather would have said..."Aye Lass you doing a grand tackle of it"

Perfect lady for a the Lady.

~Rosanne

Bernice

Rosanne said:
Love it Bee. I wonder if you could make the figure/window/table dimensions just a tad taller as there is a lot of blank card there.
Well, I fully agree, but it's a noticable feature of the source deck that there is a lot of 'space' - most pics have a central 'thing going on' and then just....... space.

I think it's one of the things that caught my attention and made me take another look at the images. Thing is, I've now got to keep the people etc. at the same height. I did originally have a larger Lady/table and a taller window..... looked all wrong when next to the previous cards :(

Bee :)

eta: Another thing that's strange is that the card numbers are on the right. I wonder if the card-maker or commissioner were left-handed?

See the pic 29-a. Now she has a chandelier...:)

B xx

Attachments

• lady+.jpg
    lady+.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 119

Debra

A shadow stripe wallpaper?

Bernice

Debra said:
A shadow stripe wallpaper?
Tried it :(. Then tried a high border, echoing the dado (faint but matching). Looked nice, but both made the image too busy, detracted from the Lady.

........... maybe something will click at some point.

Astraea

Maybe a solid color background in a muted but more definite shade would create cohesion between the elements of the card and fill the space - pistachio might be nice. I like the image better without the chandelier, which seems to hang awkwardly in space, competing for attention with the Lady. That's not a criticism, just an observation about what strikes me visually. I love every card you've shown us.

Debra

or move the lady and table to the left, and switch the window to the right side?

Or leave it as you had it originally :) They had tall ceilings in those days.

Bernice

Astraea: I like the image better without the chandelier, which seems to hang awkwardly in space, competing for attention with the Lady......snip........pistachio might be nice
Well, as it happens, I prefer this card without the chandelier, although I made it as pale as possible. Any wallpaper pattern, or different wall-colour also detracts from the lady.... I tried to 'shade' the wall, like a blended wash, that didn't work either.

Debra: They had tall ceilings in those days.
Yes, lovely BIG rooms, tall windows, high ceilings. A Lady & Gentleman would likely live in such rooms (Unlike the poor...... :().

As I said before, I'll no doubt tinker with this card until it feels 'complete'. I'll post any further 'ammendments' here :)

Astraea

Have you tried adding another window to bracket the Lady? Or possibly some French doors leading to a garden (thus bringing in the dimension of depth without overwhelming the Lady)?

Moonbow

Now its not up to me Bee, but you asked so....

I like it without the chandelier. I like the space and size of the room, it gives a feeling of grandeur.

Astraea

I think that Moonbow makes a really good point about the grandeur and dimension of the room. The open space doesn't bother me, either - the setting reminds me of a ballroom. Along those lines, and if it's your wish to break up the space in an elegant way, something else you might consider is placing a classical-style column behind the Lady - such a compositional device would leave the height and openness of the room intact, while still bringing the various elements into a closer relationship with one another.

Your deck is so engaging. It's been a long time since I've been this enthused about a deck design - you're doing such a lovely job here.