Wildwood Tarot -- Queen of Arrows * Swan

Carla

The companion book to Wildwood Tarot states:

'A state of separation may exist, bringing with it sorrow, privation, misfortune. You may need to break old bonds and find new rivers in which to swim if you are to move beyond this place of darkness and loss.'

I can't see a lot of parallels between that and the Queen of Swords.

The companion book suggests the story of Leda and the Swan, or Elsa of Brabant in the stories of Lohengrin, but those didn't reflect the meaning for me, either.

After some searching, for me the best association for the book's meaning is the story of the Children of Lir. This is a lovely retelling:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/cwt/cwt12.htm

In summary, the Irish King Lir had four children. After their mother died, he married her sister, who became jealous of his relationship to the children, so plotted to kill them. When she could neither induce her servants nor bring herself to do the deed, she turned them into swans and cursed them to live as swans in 3 locations over 900 years (300 years on Lough Dairbhreach, 300 years in the Straits of Moyle and the final 300 years at Erris). They were, however, left with their gift of speech and song. They would be freed of the spell only when they heard the first bells of Christianity in the land. Over the years, many people visited them to talk to them and hear them sing. When they were finally changed back to human form, they aged and died, and were buried together.

Lots of longing, loss, separation and migration in that story.

Hemera

Thanks for the story, it´s lovely.

Mute Swan is a powerful and beautiful bird that takes good care of its young and mates for life. I think there are about seven species of swans in all.

Swans don´t have many natural enemies, which is one reason they can afford to stay white and not wear camoufalge colors. Humans are their worst enemies and swans have been hunted for food and plumage for centuries. Sometimes wolves and foxes eat their eggs or young but only if the adults have left the nest (which they usually never do). The adults have great stamina and take good care of their young. A grown bird is so powerful that it can break a man´s arm with the power of its wings alone.

The swan is often connected with poetry and music and despite its English name the Mute Swan certainly isn´t mute:)

The swan is the biggest (heaviest) bird that is able to fly properly. (Together with the Whooper Swan which is slightly heavier). Swans fly high and long distances. A flock of Whooper Swans was seen at an altitude of almost 10 km (32 800 ft?) from an aeroplane some decades ago.

Wild swans are mysterious and elusive birds and I think they are very much fit to be Queens.

magpie9

In Celtic Totem Animals John Matthews says, "Here,perhaps, above all other totems, you will find a sympathetic and responsive listener to the sorrows of the heart."
Tradionaly the Queen of Swords is the card of a sorrowful woman, usually a widow, who is stronger and more independent than most due to what she has lived through.

I hope nobody minds me dropping in here...I have a lot of interest in the Wildwood and it's courts.

Carla

Thank you, Magpie and Hemera! I hope everyone who reads these threads for the Wildwood will add their thoughts and knowledge. I'm making notes of everything everyone contributes. I find the book that came with deck far too sketchy on the court cards, and I lack the knowledge of myths and legends to make meaningful connections. :)

Flaxen

You also have the Fairy Tales 'The Wild Swans' by Hans Christian Andersen and 'The Six Swans' in the Grimm's Tales.

Here you have a female character enduring hardship, including enforced muteness, to rescue her brothers from a spell. A powerful tale of loneliness and sorrow and an interesting take on the 'muteness'. Is this queen forced to suffer in silence for the good of others? Does she suffer in order to benefit her kingdom in the long-term?